Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone unplugged my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Rat is right this guy showed up probably wanting to charge his own car and found the charger occupied. Why else would he be at City Hall at 3am?

If you wanted to "leave a note for him", you could print out posters with his picture on it and mention it isn't nice to unplug charging EVs.

The most likely situation? The mystery driver had left notes before to move their car when it was done charging. And the OP ignored the notes. Who puts a camera in their BACK window?

I think Rat is right this guy showed up probably wanting to charge his own car and found the charger occupied. Why else would he be at City Hall at 3am?

If you wanted to "leave a note for him", you could print out posters with his picture on it and mention it isn't nice to unplug charging EVs.
No other car was there except for mine. The last car that was there before mine was a VW e-Golf that was there in the late evening. When I came to the stall, there were no other cars, and when I came back again to see if I had been unplugged, again there were no other cars. The person simply unplugged my car and left as can be seen in the video. The "last used" section for this ChargePoint location will list my Model S as the last car that was there.

The most likely situation? The mystery driver had left notes before to move their car when it was done charging. And the OP ignored the notes. Who puts a camera in their BACK window?

I have a camera in my back window. 2 channel dashcams are pretty common these days.

There must be many people in the area who don't have the ability to charge where they live and need to charge in this location. Why else would people care about who charges at City Hall at 3am?

I think he just "bolted" you. See how he "bolts" away... should be easy to spot, dork with traffic cone colored hoodie, glasses, I would file an online police report, believe you can even upload the video too. It's moments like this when I wish you could unleash the 85 KW's as a taser. I wish people would just "LEAF" our cars alone.

Last edited:
You definitely like to make baseless assumptions.

"Sharf" reported 3 weeks ago the second J1772 was busted, nobody has reported it fixed yet. Sharf just reported a 'Chinese man' wearing an orange coat unplug him today, . That might not be you.

Been watching the parade for a lot of years. Grew up dirt poor, moved through the middle class, now I have no idea what I make or how much money I have. When the word FREE comes into play, some folk will stomp their mom to death to get to the front of the line. It's always been that way. The odd thing? It cuts through all socio-economic levels. If anything, the richer you are, the more abusive a "free-monger" becomes because they know they buy their way out of it if they committed a crime.

The amount of money doesn't matter. It's a mind set a percentage folk have.

This might not be you. You might not be Sharf, and that might have been your second plug in at that location. If you are not Sharf, I apologize.

PS - Can you really tell a Hispanic, from an Asian, from a Mediterranean person, from a Chinese person at night? Kudos. Or you know him.

"Sharf" reported 3 weeks ago the second J1772 was busted, nobody has reported it fixed yet. Sharf just reported a 'Chinese man' wearing an orange coat unplug him today, . That might not be you.

Been watching the parade for a lot of years. Grew up dirt poor, moved through the middle class, now I have no idea what I make or how much money I have. When the word FREE comes into play, some folk will stomp their mom to death to get to the front of the line. It's always been that way. The odd thing? It cuts through all socio-economic levels. If anything, the richer you are, the more abusive a "free-monger" becomes because they know they buy their way out of it if they committed a crime.

The amount of money doesn't matter. It's a mind set a percentage folk have.

This might not be you. You might not be Sharf, and that might have been your second plug in at that location. If you are not Sharf, I apologize.

PS - Can you really tell a Hispanic, from an Asian, from a Mediterranean person, from a Chinese person at night? Kudos. Or you know him.
That is me. 3 weeks ago the first plug did not dislodge from the station. The station showed that it was "in use" when it wasn't. I reported it to ChargePoint and it was subsequently fixed at some point as both charging plugs say "available" on the ChargePoint app now. The same plug that did not dislodge 3 weeks ago dislodged tonight. No other person has reported a defective plug.

Reactions: JohnnyG and Firecat
Note: It is not right to unplug somebody who is charging.

But it's not right to play games with charging spots either. Get your juice then leave. That simply degrades the entire EV remote charging grid. The more affordable it is for businesses to put up EV charging sites, the more will exist. Right now, it's crazy expensive in many areas. You might pay .12/kWh at home, but a business is not that lucky.

Note: It is not right to unplug somebody who is charging.

But it's not right to play games with charging spots either. Get your juice then leave. That simply degrades the entire EV remote charging grid. The more affordable it is for businesses to put up EV charging sites, the more will exist. Right now, it crazy expensive in many areas. You might .12/kWh, but a business is not that lucky.
If the latter part of your message is directed at me this is an unfair assumption, as has all your other assumptions and accusations in this thread. This charger was used as an emergency source in order to get to a destination on time and with enough range. I have successfully used it twice in the past, while most of my charging is done at work. It in no way absolves the behaviour of this individual who had the temerity and callousness to unplug my car given my own situation.

If the latter part of your message is directed at me this is an unfair assumption, as has all your other assumptions and accusations in this thread. This charger was used as an emergency source in order to get to a destination on time and with enough range. I have successfully used it twice in the past, while most of my charging is done at work. It in no way absolves the behaviour of this individual who had the temerity and callousness to unplug my car given my own situation.

You forget it was early Sunday AM and you claim there is a Supercharger in range.

And if you read the first line, I said it is not right to unplug someone who is charging.

But an EVSE is a gas station, not a parking stall. Treat it as such.

Reactions: Eclectic
Were you traveling? Why resort to a level 2 charger? Do you live in this area? Why not charge at home?

I've plugged into a level 2 charger twice in my ownership, at restaurants for the novelty of my passengers learning about how convenient EVs are. They really aren't for Teslas, consider the vast supercharger network that we "pay" for... I just don't understand, so color me stupid i guess.

edit: of course its NEVER right to unplug someone elses car ever.

Were you traveling? Why resort to a level 2 charger? Do you live in this area? Why not charge at home?

I've plugged into a level 2 charger twice in my ownership, at restaurants for the novelty of my passengers learning about how convenient EVs are. They really aren't for Teslas, consider the vast supercharger network that we "pay" for... I just don't understand, so color me stupid i guess.
Not stupid, you just dont read. He said he isn’t able to charge at the condo where he lives.

J1772s are as much for Teslas as any other EV. Most of us have better alternatives, that’s all.

Not stupid, you just dont read. He said he isn’t able to charge at the condo where he lives.

J1772s are as much for Teslas as any other EV. Most of us have better alternatives, that’s all.

J1772s are for all EVs to be used as gas stations.

Offer free gas and watch what happens to normally decent folk. This probably causes the greatest conflicts in remote charging situations.

The best solution is to avoid Free J1772s unless your other choice is a tow truck. Some EVs only have 50 miles range (Smart EDs) so it can really be a tow truck situation. You will never get into a conflict.

I have always been against free charging. Not because it's a great idea to promote EVs, but because of human nature.

The driver in the orange coat has not told his version of events. Perhaps there is more than one side. Perhaps he was unplugged first? Unlikely, but possible. When Free comes up, it's Black Friday at Walmart. Anything goes.

^^^This! It’s amazing how simply stated facts don’t even get read, much-less comprehended, before people chime in with how this is OP’s fault. He’s used this charger a total of three times in his life, has no option L2 option at his condo, charges mainly at work, and, most importantly... was charging this night to specifically have enough range for the next morning’s longer-range trip.
Just because OP owns a Tesla, he shouldn’t have the right to use a public charger because he needs the range? Rather, he should drive 60km (round trip) out of his way to the SuC because the idiot in the Orange likes to play Charger Police? He certainly didn’t need to charge...

J1772s are for all EVs to be used as gas stations.

Offer free gas and watch what happens to normally decent folk. This probably causes the greatest conflicts in remote charging situations.

I have always been against free charging. Not because it's a great idea to promote EVs, but because of human nature.
Definitely agree with these points. Not feasible, I know, but get rid of/move wayyyy out, those front-row-Joe charging spots as well. That just invites bad behavior of parking without charging. I can’t wait to see Xmas season at the malls...

... He certainly didn’t need to charge...

This you do not know. I do not necessarily accept that both the L2s were operational. Litmus test: Would you personally pull up to a twin L2 and test both of them on your car to verify they both work, but not leave a note on Plugshare as to status like you have done in the past? It's possible. How likely though?

There is a 120v outlet there as well (see pictures), perhaps Orange Jacket ended up charging at 3 mph that morning to get enough juice to reach another charger or hypermiled at 25mph to the next one.

Today it's normal to evaluate news from a single side of a conflict. We are being trained to do that. I prefer to hear both sides.

This you do not know. I do not necessarily accept that both the L2s were operational. Litmus test: Would you personally pull up to a twin L2 and test both of them on your car to verify they both work, but not leave a note on Plugshare as to status like you have done in the past? It's possible. How likely though?

There is a 120v outlet there as well (see pictures), perhaps Orange Jacket ended up charging at 3 mph that morning to get enough juice to reach another charger or hypermiled at 25mph to the next one.

Today it's normal to evaluate news from a single side of a conflict. We are being trained to do that. I prefer to hear both sides.
Again, agree. If Orange Jacket would chime in, that’d be perfect.
Why I said he didn’t need to charge was that he didn’t pull up next to OP’s car to see whether the other charger was operational or not. If he did need the charge, he should’ve plugged in after disconnecting OP. Something tells me that he wouldn’t do that because he’d have to own-up to the disconnect. He’d rather vent/send a msg/“I’ll show him” by pulling into the garage, walking down to unplug, then drive away.
(Again... yes, I know I’m guilty of making assumptions about Orange Jacket here! :))

Reactions: JohnnyG