Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone unplugged my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not correct. My Tesla was unplugged from a Tesla destination charger while the car was locked a few weeks ago.

I reported to Tesla but so far no answer and no explanation.

There is an issue with either locking mechanism or wall connector. Sometimes it is completely locked and no way to unplug it.

I tried to reconstruct the scene and managed to unplug my car while I did not have the key fob with me and the car was locked.

This is the video:

I think @JPUConn is correct in that is the way it is designed to work, and generally does.

Your case seems odd, on that clearly the car honored the button-press unlock request from the charge cable. If your car was truly locked, there's something there not working as designed, I think.

On edit: Re-watching the video, at he 4-5 second mark I hear something as you approach the driver's side door. Although the handles aren't auto-presenting, is that an door lock motor activating?

Any chance you have door handle auto-present turned off, and the car really is unlocking at that point?

Last edited:
Why do you think he feel sit doesn't

Because:

- he doesn't have a charger at home;
- 30 amps is very little for a Tesla after two hours;
- he parked in the wee hours of the morning when most people leave them overnight; and -- most importantly this is what he initially told us before he started to refine his story:

I was planning to do a lot of driving in the morning. I got a notification that my car had been unplugged from the nearby charger. The lot was literally empty and no one else was using any of the chargers except for myself. Someone pulled up to the lot, disconnected my car, then drove off. Infuriating.

I'm most suspicious when stories change. You're not. Got it.

Because:

So?
So?
- he parked in the wee hours of the morning when most people leave them overnight; and -- most importantly this is what he initially told us before he started to refine his story:

You're assuming.

So? So? You're assuming.

Yes -- and my assumptions make sense. Plus, I quoted exactly what the OP posted before his story changed. His words -- not mine. He won't answer me directly, except for calling me a "brick wall" through others, thus avoiding the issue. I also asked if he tried to work out paying for the installation of an outlet and for the power with his landlord. No answer.

I make assumptions about a lot of things in life based on people's conduct. If my assumption is wrong, and I've been wrong lots before, I am persuaded with facts --- not with being called a "brick wall":

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Calling me derogatory names doesn't help himself or his argument -- even though others here like it. It's juvenile school yard stuff to me. I like to deal with facts and arguments -- not name calling, unless it's the positive type of name calling:

with regard to the OP, who I am certain is a good guy,

Now I'm not so certain. I guess you're right. I shouldn't make assumptions. ;)

Not correct. My Tesla was unplugged from a Tesla destination charger while the car was locked a few weeks ago. I reported to Tesla but so far no answer and no explanation. There is an issue with either locking mechanism or wall connector.

Here's my assumption :) : The signal to open the charge port door (holding down the trunk on the remote) is the same signal for all cars. Once you do that, it stops charging and disengages. I just tested it now while my car was charging -- although not with a vehicle other than mine. But before the software was updated to allow for the fob to pop the door, there was a remote you could buy from someone here who copied the signal -- and if used in a parking lot with other Teslas it opened every charge port door -- because of the strength of the signal. So maybe that's the answer? I assume any Tesla fob can stop another car from charging, and disengage the locking pin, and you can then remove the adapter, or UMC or HPWC. Perhaps someone can test that on a car that is not their own? -- with permission of the owner of course.

Last edited:
Yes -- and my assumptions make sense. Plus, I quoted exactly what the OP posted before his story changed. His words -- not mine. He won't answer me directly, except for calling me a "brick wall" through others, thus avoiding the issue. I also asked if he tried to work out paying for the installation of an outlet and for the power with his landlord. No answer.

I make assumptions about a lot of things in life based on people's conduct. If my assumption is wrong, and I've been wrong lots before, I am persuaded with facts --- not with being called a "brick wall":
Why does it matter how he charges to you? I don't get the self righteousness of people on here to decide how others should use their car.

At the absolute most we can speculate that this guy was going to stay there more than 2 hours. Not a particularly big deal given the time of day he chose to do it and with another stall open. Yet you want to pick apart how he decides to charge his car (not at home, and too slow for your liking) Classic internet forums.

Because:

Change? No.

You are making some inferences/assumptions.

But quite frankly nothing he said is incongruous with the fact that he was at 19%, had a Supercharger within some distance one direction, and had work in the other direction.

So while you might suspect he was going to be there longer, he's indicated that wasn't his plan, yet you outright ask regarding the time limit, "...why don't you think it applies to you?"

The crux of this thread was somebody unplugging a fellow Tesla owner, and you're giving him the third degree about stuff that you can at best guess at. Guilty 'til proven innocent?

I think @JPUConn is correct in that is the way it is designed to work, and generally does.

Your case seems odd, on that clearly the car honored the button-press unlock request from the charge cable. If your car was truly locked, there's something there not working as designed, I think.

On edit: Re-watching the video, at he 4-5 second mark I hear something as you approach the driver's side door. Although the handles aren't auto-presenting, is that an door lock motor activating?

Any chance you have door handle auto-present turned off, and the car really is unlocking at that point?

@scaesare thanks for the message. Are you suggesting I am making this up to blame Tesla or you suggest I am so stupid that I don’t understand difference between a locked car and unlocked one? Either way no offence was taken. The key fob was at my apartment far away from car park and no, my car auto extracts handles on approach.

Tesla ranger came to my place and he also experienced this issue himself. As I said this only happenes time to time and not during charging. There might be a mechanism when the charging is finished to your preset level, you can remove the connector. I don’t know why neither anyone at Tesla! This started happening after 2018.14 software update. It might be irrelevant to the update. It might be a new feature for wall connectors to allow others to use if your car has completed charging. But certainly while the car is charging it cannot be removed for sure. If you watch the ring around charge port is off.

Last edited:
There is an issue with either locking mechanism or wall connector. Sometimes it is completely locked and no way to unplug it.

Completely locked and no way to unplug it is proper operating behavior when your car is locked. if the Tesla charging cable can be dislodged from the car while your car is locked, there is something malfunctioning and the car is not behaving as intended.

Not correct. My Tesla was unplugged from a Tesla destination charger while the car was locked a few weeks ago.

There is something wrong with your car. I would call service and schedule an appointment to have the charge port and your UMC looked at. if this happened with your HPWC, then this needs to be looked at also.

I wasn't attempting to insinuate any such thing, hence my posing my question as "Any chance...", in the unlikely possibility there was something going on that explained the behavior. Nor am I suggesting stupidity for not knowing every possible car setting. I learned new things about my car long after I got it.

Apologies if the message came off otherwise.

@scaesare thanks for the message. Are you suggesting I am making this up to blame Tesla or you suggest I am so stupid that I don’t understand difference between a locked car and unlocked one? Either way no offence was taken. The key fob was at my apartment far away from car park and no, my car auto extracts handles on approach.

Tesla ranger came to my place and he also experienced this issue himself. As I said this only happenes time to time and not during charging. There might be a mechanism when the charging is finished to your preset level, you can remove the connector. I don’t know why neither anyone at Tesla! This started happening after 2018.14 software update. It might be irrelevant to the update. It might be a new feature for wall connectors to allow others to use if your car has completed charging. But certainly while the car is charging it cannot be removed for sure. If you watch the ring around charge port is off.

OP, please do not feel hurt, or think that we do not feel your pain. I am sure some of us have had similar experiences.

It is just that some of us, I will not name them in order to not hurt their feelings, seem to go overboard in our poking fun at your experience. Just remember that it is all done out of LOVE.

Anyone who makes a post on any of these or other Forums needs to expect what they post will be made fun of. Remember, the hours we spend on Forums reading and replying IS our daily "Sitcom" entertainment.

Please continue to Post lots more in the future. And please learn to laugh with the rest of us, even if it is at your own expense. Again, it is all done out of our LOVE for you. We are all family.

Completely locked and no way to unplug it is proper operating behavior when your car is locked. if the Tesla charging cable can be dislodged from the car while your car is locked, there is something malfunctioning and the car is not behaving as intended.

There is something wrong with your car. I would call service and schedule an appointment to have the charge port and your UMC looked at. if this happened with your HPWC, then this needs to be looked at also.

This is what I thought and as I explained Tesla ranger experienced it at my place and I also reported to them the issue again but they have no clue where to look at!

Everything seems to be just fine with the car as it locks the charge port while charging and also when the charging is completed. I have no idea what the guy did to my car and how disconnect mine in order to plug-in his car.

Since then I have made a small note in 4 languages! and put on the car with QR code so you people can send me a text by scanning the code using their camera.
6EE6D589-5E0C-46BF-BC64-D2E083A944AC.jpeg
10744C53-03B2-4715-8AAF-6FF34DA18FFA.jpeg

Reactions: NovaWood
I wasn't attempting to insinuate any such thing, hence my posing my question as "Any chance...", in the unlikely possibility there was something going on that explained the behavior. Nor am I suggesting stupidity for not knowing every possible car setting. I learned new things about my car long after I got it.

Apologies if the message came off otherwise.
No need for any apology. I said that no offence was taken. In fact it was funny and I appreciated your humour!

Some said it is a mechanism of wall connector to unlock after charging is complated. But I can never remove the charger from my wall connector even when charging is completed. It only happenes time to time and only when the LED ring around charge port is off. As a matter of fact once I push the door handles to make sure the car was locked and as soon as I touch the door handle, the LED ring turned on and there was no way I could remove the charger but the issue still remains a mystery to me and apparently to Tesla SC!

OP, please do not feel hurt, or think that we do not feel your pain. I am sure some of us have had similar experiences.

It is just that some of us, I will not name them in order to not hurt their feelings, seem to go overboard in our poking fun at your experience. Just remember that it is all done out of LOVE.

Anyone who makes a post on any of these or other Forums needs to expect what they post will be made fun of. Remember, the hours we spend on Forums reading and replying IS our daily "Sitcom" entertainment.

Please continue to Post lots more in the future. And please learn to laugh with the rest of us, even if it is at your own expense. Again, it is all done out of our LOVE for you. We are all family.

Dear Graffi

Thank you very much for the kind words. I fully understand and agree with you. In my view, The forum is a good place to exchange ideas and experiences we have with our cars. There might be different issues with the software, firmware or even hardware of the car which might trigger in very specific circumstances and not everybody experience it. Sharing with others, firstly make them aware of such problem, secondly they can sometimes replicate the situation and see if they encounter the same issue or not. For example in this issue, if anyone who has a wall connector, can let the car charge and even leave it over night to go to sleep mode and in the morning to check if the locked car can be unplugged or not. This way we can find if this is a common issue or not.

Anyway thanks again for your thought and support.

Cheers

This is what I thought and as I explained Tesla ranger experienced it at my place and I also reported to them the issue again but they have no clue where to look at!

Everything seems to be just fine with the car as it locks the charge port while charging and also when the charging is completed. I have no idea what the guy did to my car and how disconnect mine in order to plug-in his car.

Since then I have made a small note in 4 languages! and put on the car with QR code so you people can send me a text by scanning the code using their camera.
View attachment 300417 View attachment 300418
Looks like you have a typo with "deconecter". Missing another "n" (and accent but I won't mention that). lol :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Farzinfar