Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone unplugged my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a booking system will ever work.. you can't force everyone to use it, and what if someone books a slot for their 20 minute ETA and another driver shows up and takes the slot? Is Tesla going to say 'oops, sorry, you can't charge right now since someone else who isn't here yet pre-booked this slot'... or even 'you can charge in this slot for 12 minutes until the next person who booked it shows up'.. and then Tesla turns off the charging for that slot? There's no way to make a booking system work like that.

What you can do is the opposite -- you can tell drivers in the car that when they arr at a SC location, there will likely be an X minute wait for a stall.

Why not? I have been in many restaurants without booking and they said I can only have 30 or 50 minutes because I don’t have booking and all tables are booked. In fac it is better solution for busy stations Maybe for bigger or less trafficked Sc location it is not necessary but for a very busy station why not? In fact it gives discipline to users. These are rules I was talking about that should be developed slowly as EV market grows.

As an interesting aside we were at the theater last night[1], and the parking lot was packed, and we ended up parking quite a ways away. On the way in the charging spot in a prime location up front was open, and my daughter said we could have parked there. I told her it was a bit of an a-hole move to take a charger you really don't need.

Whaddya know, when we got out there was a Leaf parked there, not charging at all. I pointed out that was an even bigger a-hole move.

[1] To see Love and Bananas with the film maker doing a Q&A afterwards. I recommend it if you can find a screening to see an example of folks doing good work for animal conservation

I still don't know why you unplugged him...:eek:o_O:D

Not too long ago, we EV owners still nicely and friendly "share" the plugs and the long cables, and in case of being unplugged, it's not a big deal and we move on. If one thinks the plug is his/her life line, needs to get a real life!

I think this still is the case. We do share and help each other. I am just coming back from a short trip to lake Maggiore in northern Italy and I accidentally met another nice local Tesla owner and when I asked him about a nearby place to charge my car, he kindly offered me to use the industrial plug at his work. Even though I didn’t use his facility likewise, I invited him to use my charger if he happened to be in Switzerland. We exchanged our contact details.

While I do appreciate your humour, I don’t think the issue is too serious and one’s life line. but it is a matter of etiquette and social responsibility.

Reactions: Galve2000 and .jg.
Why not? I have been in many restaurants without booking and they said I can only have 30 or 50 minutes because I don’t have booking and all tables are booked. In fac it is better solution for busy stations Maybe for bigger or less trafficked Sc location it is not necessary but for a very busy station why not? In fact it gives discipline to users. These are rules I was talking about that should be developed slowly as EV market grows.

Because if one restaurant is booked, you can probably easily find another one nearby.

Superchargers aren't like restaurants. They're 100+ miles apart.

When using the J1772, the Tesla adapter is locked to the vehicle. The J1772 handle will unplug easily, no locking. There are aftermarket devices that can be used to lock the J1772 handle to the Tesla adapter so nothing can be unplugged until the vehicle releases it.

The only damage that could be caused would be if the J1772 handle is somehow locked to the adapter.

Hi,
Just new owner having little problem. I bought my S 2013 face little bit problem. Travel to Calgary having very little support for charging but did it in two days. Now it is like a piece of cake . Do you know there is ChadeMo charger just open at Super store on
No. 3 road. You need chadeMo adapter for this. It will save you time. Go further Aberdeen mall they have Tesla charger and j1772. look into Plug share app. lots of support now close by .Well come to the group.

Yes -- and my assumptions make sense. Plus, I quoted exactly what the OP posted before his story changed. His words -- not mine. He won't answer me directly, except for calling me a "brick wall" through others, thus avoiding the issue. I also asked if he tried to work out paying for the installation of an outlet and for the power with his landlord. No answer.

In one of his first posts (#17), he said:
"I do not have a home charger as I live in a complex that does not allow it."

Does anyone know if a Tesla charger can be removed from a locked Tesla vehicle after the car has fully charged to its setpoint? I had something happen at a Supercharger that suggests this is possible.
It happened to me with a destination charger. A model S next to me had disconnect mine after charging was done but I don’t know how. I have been trying it myself more than 20 times but only once I managed to remove it other times it is locked. Go back in this thread as well as other thread under “problem with wall connector “ to read the full story. I asked Tesla but no solution yet as they even don’t know what happens time to time.

I live in Europe and this "E-Vandalism"(tm) (c) (r) is on the rise here too. I've had happen it to me twice that I was plugged in to a Super Charger and went for a coffee or something. Suddenly, my phone says "Charging interrupted", followed by "Charging started" less than a minute later.

What happened in both cases is that somebody docked to the second stall of a SC (say i'm on 3a and he/she's on 3B) and charging is slow because I just started, being on low SoC thus charging really fast. And the other stall is of course slower. They press the button on my SC plug, aborting MY charge briefly, which makes the other stall "the first to arrive" (so to speak) and getting full speed and now i'm the slow one after it resumed automatically (cannot pull out a SC plug in Europe).

On one occasion I ran back to the car asking the guy (a German) why did you abort me? Answer: "I'm in a hurry and need all the charging speed I can get". He did not even apologise. Asswipe...

Last edited:
Amazing, two camps, as though there is one error.

based on what we know, (one-dimensional video review), a person in an orange hoody drove into the garage for a single task... to unplug this charger. he does and he leaves.

Impulse? Fetish? Duty? We don't know why. Does it matter why he unplugged? Yes, it does, if we believe this to be an unprovoked and seemingly random act, cause face it, where humans be, random flees.

To say there is never a reason to unplug another's car is ridiculous on the face of it yet this is the affront of the unknown oppressor, predator, criminal or tesla activist.

Having heard the ops complaint, I initially assumed it was weird but gave the benefit of doubt and duly noted the birth of shadowy or rather brightly dressed Tesla irritators or perhaps I'd become the target of newly discovered fetish that centered around the disconnecting of ev.s.

Upon review of the first mild but, inquisitive interrogation, I realized I had assumed the presence of an unfriendly and disruptive person or persons who could interrupt my travel regardless of my interaction or more disturbing lack of interaction as the op would have us believe.

This is disturbing whether you consciously realize it or not. On the 2nd interrogation, the op was defensive and easily picked up the inquisitors subtle warning to cease or confess. Instead, he chose to continue and didn't strengthen his position or offer additional backstory. Further selling this as a random act perpetrated against him by a chinese man. This fact wasnt brought by him but was in a larger public forum. Though seemingly unimportant, I believe this fact needs to be examined more closely with, WHY WAS THIS IMPORTANT TO ESTABLISH IN A ANNOYANCE NOT A CRIME. Forgetting the surface incrimination of a more intimate encounter that could be had by the video supplied, let's focus on the level of anger you have towards this person who simply unplugged your vehicle. No damages can be established criminally nor civilly. yet, you call this person out in public forums twice for disconnecting your courtesy service and identify him racially at least once with no other physical identifiers commonly used to hunt down criminals. This is troubling me more and more on the face of its own...

(if unplugging an ev is a deadly sin, shouldn't promoting disinformation which, promotes friction and discord not to mention stress if one may need to rely on public fuel to not be stranded or delayed, be akin to a capital crime, due to its ongoing interference versus a single and,,,,''random' act?)

Looking back this group turned on man who very well likely is part of our small pioneering club whose story we hadn't heard and most importantly hadn't been constructed of too many unlikely events or refined in a defensive manner only to finally duck out of his own proposed mystery and likey call to arms which would do nothing but encourage factions as did take place before our very eyes.

The op was owned by the 3rd polite but direct inquiry. most importantly he was down by his own admission in the op when he admitted to leaving his car in a charger overnight expecting to be finished and ready for an important Sunday appointment...

There is never a reason to assume your travel is most important without research into the matter. the op didn't consult a single fellow ev user nor has he promoted a possible resolution that could fix what is constructed by him as the only active architect.

What is this called when news or governments do this? ...something mongering...oh yeah, fea....

There two errors here if we assume. one if we consider only the facts on hand.
could this person be employed on this property and the following policy or executing a directive as a result of a complaint from tenants? Hell, could he have thought he saw smoke or heat shimmers near or above this lone car and unplugged it to be safe and benefit the driver-owner? Greenpeace has left the seas and started a new campaign to save our children planet by removing so-called eco friendly vehicles from the coal-fired and produced source of fuel our vehicles actually rely on, by disconnecting the umbilical cord after a miscalculated allotment of time figuring all the lights and pretty illuminated gizmos in use seeming to draw attention to our generous contribution to others planet may, in fact, waste more burning coal while the owner sleeps or tweaks somewhere else in the night.

fact; this individual shows no outwardly fear of being detected. other than what almost seems like spirited skipping up the steps we have no proof he disconnected the car. he could have simply taken it out of a once again drunken Elvis' hand before he stuck it on his tongue again in hopes of summoning the mother ship or broke into an enthusiastic rendition of Via las vegas complete with twirling wired mic\connecter and it collided with a judges car this time and our maintenance boy is called to explain the unchecked vandalism without sounding nuts.

for those in the op camp, we cant beyond a reasonable doubt honestly say this orange wearing person is male or that they got in a car and drove away. (could be he was executed after being paid a 100 bucks to disconnect a lazy Americans carbon toking luxo boat and lies dead right beside the door of his car as the Teslas owner in need of an alibi kicks it out of the garage in a scion that is made to resemble a fiat due to lens distortion or raindrops.

wait' how do we know it was Tesla and not a mall childrens choo-choo that orangy engineers and we are simply viewing his 3 sec clean up punch out and exit on a secret employers camera used to verify he carefully safety checks the train cars and wears proper safety equipment when powering down the little engine that could...fry. and even more so in the rain...as he checks out long before his claimed normally scheduled 4 am release.

could the op actually be russian...repeats himself a lot and the calling out of his race...omg it could E.M....

HAHA! I literally spit up coffee onto my computer!!!! This is some of the funniest and cleverest sh*t I've read in quite a while! Well done!

I like your sense of humor and satirical style.

It happened to me with a destination charger. A model S next to me had disconnect mine after charging was done but I don’t know how. I have been trying it myself more than 20 times but only once I managed to remove it other times it is locked. Go back in this thread as well as other thread under “problem with wall connector “ to read the full story. I asked Tesla but no solution yet as they even don’t know what happens time to time.

I'm not really sure it's a problem that needs to be fixed - if a car is fully charged to its setpoint, it doesn't matter if someone is able to remove the charger after that.