Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something about the VIN numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, while waiting patiently for my M3 LR, I was looking at the order tracking spreadsheet. Something is off. If you create a filter and sort by descending VIN number you will see what I mean. As I type this, if you only look at the 9xxxxx VIN numbers, there are 15 of them (I'm excluding the 910,055 vin because that was from 2018 and is prob a data entry issue).

Of the 15 "9 series" VIN numbers posted so far, 13 of them end in a 5. Of the 13 that end in 5, 11 of those end in 55.

Statistically, if the spreadsheet is capturing a random group of people, those numbers are not random.

My point is, the last two digits mean something in the VIN, they are not just a counter, which is what I thought until today.

This is what will happen to all of us waiting for our M3's, our OCD kicks in and we're done for.

Of the 15 "9 series" VIN numbers posted so far, 13 of them end in a 5. Of the 13 that end in 5, 11 of those end in 55.

This is on purpose to privatize your VIN in the spreadsheet. It mentions it in the explanation text when you enter your VIN.

That field says

"VIN (Example: 284,567 or 284,56x or 284,5xx is OK)
Optional. Enter your VIN. Last 1 or 2 digits can be replaced with x. Example: 284,567 or 284,56x or 284,5xx."