Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something anyone who's owned a Tesla for more than a month will roll their eyes at

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20190821-100333_Tesla.jpg

SO EXCITING!

(however I strongly suspect it'll mean either nothing at all in practice or me being late to my meeting because the car's disabled itself for an hour)

• Funny
Reactions: Xenius
For an S, likely just bug fixes right now as far as I know. It also won't take an hour (I've never seen an update take anywhere near that long).

I hope it doesn't take that long. It's still at it after half an hour or more...

I assume WiFi signal isn't an issue here and that the download is done before giving you the option to install?

Hmmmm, I've owned the car for 3 years, and haven't rolled my eyes about it yet. Maybe my eyes are stuck, or I just expect not to use my car for an hour after being trained by my laptop needing an hour to update its operating system every month. :)
Oh and I love that avatar. Wish I had head restraint covers like that :D

Hmmmm, I've owned the car for 3 years, and haven't rolled my eyes about it yet. Maybe my eyes are stuck, or I just expect not to use my car for an hour after being trained by my laptop needing an hour to update its operating system every month. :)
Oh and I love that avatar. Wish I had head restraint covers like that :D

Ha ha. So true. Tesla updates do seem to be faster than Windows ones! Plus you can choose when they happen and there's half a chance there might be something useful in there.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Mine updated (new chess game etc) in about 20 mins while I made a coffee in the morning. Presumably depends on signal strength?

Mine took about twice that. Signal strength was poor but I doubt that's the reason. I'd have thought it would've downloaded already.

Anyway, have since driven c.200 miles, about half of which was motorway, mostly with pretty low traffic. Used lane change many times, both with NoA on and off. I think any change is small. But my inexperience with it means that this journey accounts for perhaps 1/4 of my really relevant (same conditions) use of it, so I'm a learner and any change could be me getting used to it. If there is a change then my starting take is that it could be a bit less prone to finding reasons to abort but probably isn't materially snappier at making the move. It maybe completes it marginally quicker but it doesn't start it quickly and overall it's still slow.

Anyway, with or without lane change AP is such a pleasure on either a really clear motorway or a very busy one, both situations where lane changes can be either slow (so done by AP) or infrequent (so done by the driver).

Mine updated (new chess game etc) in about 20 mins while I made a coffee in the morning. Presumably depends on signal strength?

You only get the notification that a Software Update is available after the download has completed. Signal strength can have an effect on how long that download takes but the actual install process is independent of that.

Different people's installation times will be because of different firmware / option codes. LukeT's car will have taken longer than yours to apply the update because it had to update the Active Suspension on the Raven. And he's got MCU-2 so in addition to Chess he'll have had update images for the Dune Buggy game to apply too.

• Informative
Reactions: RamsfanJim