Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something fell into the rear floor vent: can't get it out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to get into the rear floor vent? My daughter's lip gloss fell in and now we can hear it rolling around every time we accelerate or decelerate.

I know where it is, we saw it with an endoscope and you can hear it bounce if you slap the floor on the front passenger side.

16294289516774832320802105120115.jpg

Reactions: laservet
Get one of those spring loaded multi jaw grabber things and go fishing while looking with the endoscope. X-Long 36" Flex-Cable Pick-Up Tool 4-Finger Claw End Retriever Snake: Cable Insertion And Extraction Tools: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

Either that or have your daughter crouch down in the rear footwell while you do an acceleration run and she can grab it when it rolls toward the opening :)

Keith
I tried that, but the Little grabber arms can't open wide enough!

The system dips down a bit from the rear to the front, so it's not getting up the lip and it's staying stuck in the front area.

Reactions: laservet
Had the same thing happen in our Model 3. A bunch of charms from a charm bracelet fell into the vents, never to be found again. Thankfully, they don't seem to make much noise while driving. I ordered the covers for my Model Y before it even arrived so it wouldn't happen to me. I know it doesn't help you now. I seem to recall a Model 3 thread on the topic back when it happened to me. I think that poster ended up removing the carpet and some other stuff to get in there.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

- It is not metallic, unfortunately. Was hoping a magnet might work.
- I will definitely be covering these ports. With kids, this is guaranteed to happen again.
- We noticed the sloping shape as well, but couldn't quite get the wire with a loop to scoop it up.

We'll be trying again soon. Will do some donuts and park on a slope. Will definitely update if we can get it out!

How about going to a car wash with a real strong vacuum (some of them have a nozzle that has about the same shape as our vent opening) - turn your rear floor heat on the highest fan speed - stuff a rag into the other vent - and then try to suck it out ? ? ?

We got it!

- Parked on a slight slope so the rear was lower than the front to deal with the vent dip.
- We turned the air on full blast on the feet only.
- Then put a leaf blower into the drivers side rear vent and turned it on to create pressure towards the passenger vent.
- Then shook the vent to sort of "pop" the item up and over the dip in the vent.
- The air pressure blew it out.

Hope this can help someone else!

We got it!

- Parked on a slight slope so the rear was lower than the front to deal with the vent dip.
- We turned the air on full blast on the feet only.
- Then put a leaf blower into the drivers side rear vent and turned it on to create pressure towards the passenger vent.
- Then shook the vent to sort of "pop" the item up and over the dip in the vent.
- The air pressure blew it out.

Hope this can help someone else!
Congratulations!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

- It is not metallic, unfortunately. Was hoping a magnet might work.
- I will definitely be covering these ports. With kids, this is guaranteed to happen again.
- We noticed the sloping shape as well, but couldn't quite get the wire with a loop to scoop it up.

We'll be trying again soon. Will do some donuts and park on a slope. Will definitely update if we can get it out!
Try using something sticky on the end of a stick. Something that would adhere to the chapstick tube enough to pull it within reach.