Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something is happening (Tesla website down) - Leasing Option News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may not be for you, it isn't for me.
But a lot of people would rather lease new technology rather than own it. In addition, Tesla will guarantee the residual which should make leases much easier to get.

Leasing I understand...whether typical or atypical. If Tesla's big announcement is that leasing is available -- great! If it is to suggest you can drive away with a Model S for $500/m, that's almost deceptive based on a number of intangibles. The calculation seems like fuzzy math to me.

It isn't a lease! It is a financing program with a buyback guarantee, price pegged to a MB S Class.
Yep, basically a financing program with an out clause halfway through. Based on current financing rates available on the open market, you are paying roughly 2x the APR for the luxury of the out clause after 36 months. Probably valuable for some people for sure, but not sure its as valuable as a true lease.

Personally I am a little disappointed in this. Sounds like hucksterism and I'm not sure that is a good message. But then I have never leased anything in my life and have always viewed car leases as a trap for the timid and poorly educated. Strictly old school....Demand is strong and there is no significant marketing. Why not spend the money on building the image instead of cheapening it..

agreed. "effective monthly payment" with "what's your time worth" b.s.?!?

today was just an elaborate sales trick.

that said, I'm getting that Plus package on my P85! them sh*ts better be retro-fittable!

guaranteed at 43% purchase price of the car. So you buy a $100k car, and 3 years later they buy it back from you at $43,000. In other words, you rented a car for 36 months and paid $57,000 for the rental. Actually the bank is fronting 10% so I guess in the end you rented it for $47,000.

Elon said 43%

43, what? I see it as 56. This doesn't make any sense.

The whole 500 was a bunch of crap. Calculating the sticker and waiting at a gas station? Come on, I'm very dissapointed. Why not include the time it takes to install the new outlet, the cost for that, and the time it takes to get out of the car everyday and plug the car into the wall. Very deceptive and I'm not happy.

Leasing I understand...whether typical or atypical. If Tesla's big announcement is that leasing is available -- great! If it is to suggest you can drive away with a Model S for $500/m, that's almost deceptive based on a number of intangibles. The calculation seems like fuzzy math to me.

The true-cost-of-ownership is just another online sales/marketing tool, not really a big announcement. The guaranteed buyback, however, is a significant announcement.

guaranteed at 43% purchait'se price of the car. So you buy a $100k car, and 3 years later they buy it back from you at $43,000. In other words, you rented a car for 36 months and paid $57,000 for the rental. Actually the bank is fronting 10% so I guess in the end you rented it for $47,000.

Right. It's like owning a regular car, except it's a really expensive one.

Performance shows 4.2. Wasn't it 4.4 originally?

The options page seems a bit hosed at the moment. Obviously the 40kWh column shouldn't show a 230-mile range, even if it's the software-limited 60kWh pack.

Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 4.09.29 PM.png