Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something is happening (Tesla website down) - Leasing Option News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plenty of people with existing orders or people into their products. What's so hard to swallow about it?

those companies have millions of customers.. Let's face it, Model S has sold what, 50K vehicles? Those companies sell more than 50,000 products per day.

My point is that people react differently to those sites being down. When Dell goes down, people simply get annoyed and complain (search "dell website down" for plenty of examples). When Apple/Tesla goes down, people start to speculate about new products/features, and this is what gets them news coverage.

I completely agree with you that Apple/Tesla should try harder to minimise downtimes. However just because you don't hear about Dell being down on the news doesn't mean they're never down.

As the guy who did the work to make websites for certain car manufacturers (that will remain nameless) able to stay up even when upgrading the sites. This isn't as trivial as a piece of work as it seems. It might be easier for Tesla that has a much newer IT infrastructure and probably doesn't have a lot of legacy cruft. It's a rare enough occurrence that you guys talk about it. The work I was doing removed a 1-3 times a week 4 hour outage at night. I don't think Tesla has had outages anything like that. Even with a setup like I created there could be circumstances where you'd need to take an outage to do some major work . So it's entirely possible they have the capability you're suggesting they build. They just needed to do something significant enough they couldn't use it.