Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something my wife and I hacked together this week- an Android app that acts as an instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s close to a release candidate, starting to load it into Google Play for testers. The best experience I’ve seen is on a Pixel 2XL. I’ve tested on anything from a Nexus 6/7, Xperia Z3 (Android 6.0.1), and my Z Flip 3. The best device I think for the money is a Pixel 2 XL because it doesn’t have a notch or hle punch camera, is plenty fast, and easy to configure for auto boot when plugged in. I run mine with the latest Android 10 build (which you can actually flash from a browser, which is neat) because there are some Android 11 layout issues I haven’t solved in split screen.

If you have a CANserver and want to test shoot me a PM.

It’s close to a release candidate, starting to load it into Google Play for testers. The best experience I’ve seen is on a Pixel 2XL. I’ve tested on anything from a Nexus 6/7, Xperia Z3 (Android 6.0.1), and my Z Flip 3. The best device I think for the money is a Pixel 2 XL because it doesn’t have a notch or hle punch camera, is plenty fast, and easy to configure for auto boot when plugged in. I run mine with the latest Android 10 build (which you can actually flash from a browser, which is neat) because there are some Android 11 layout issues I haven’t solved in split screen.

If you have a CANserver and want to test shoot me a PM.
Just purchased a Google Pixel 2XL

Reactions: zesh
Meanwhile, my wife and I spent our week hacking together a pollinator bed of wildflowers. Any bets on which couple spent more time in college? :)

Seriously, this is great work. Can we feed this with the same hardware we're using to feed ScanMyTesla?
If you have a CANserver for SMT, yes. It's the only hardware that can easily tap into the chassis bus for autopilot data. Other adapters are on the "someday" list. This is a fun open source project for me so maybe someone with experience implementing support for other adapters can contribute, if not it's something I do want to eventually do. For now I'm just trying to get this out to more testers, knowing full well that not many people have CANservers.

Reactions: Baluchi
Getting closer to making this open source- here's the mount I designed, and I included STEP if you want to modify.

Link? Too obscure for my phone to find
NM found it.. looks funny on my pixel 5... Does not use whole screen

Screenshot_20220119-025924.png

Links:

CANdash – A simple Android powered instrument cluster for your Tesla Model 3 or Model Y (play store link on bottom)
GitHub - osunick/candash: A simple Android app that turns your phone into an instrument cluster for your Tesla Model 3 and Y (public repo of code)

This is still early in the project, expect many bugs. I have tested on Android 6-12 but as you can see there can be layout issues. I suspect I'm not dealing with hole punch cameras well. My device of choice for this is a Pixel 2XL running Android 10 as they are pretty cheap to get, fast, and have a nice OLED with no hole punches.