Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something my wife and I hacked together this week- an Android app that acts as an instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a mention in the Discord channel saying CanServer did not give some data on EU models. Does this apply to all MIC models? (eg: those shipped to Australia)

There was a mention in the Discord channel saying CanServer did not give some data on EU models. Does this apply to all MIC models? (eg: those shipped to Australia)
What i have heard from the source is that brand new cars have a diagnostic connector at the base of the A pillar on the passenger side (not sure if this is the same on RHD models like yours) that carries both buses, but no idea what it looks like.

Reactions: RNHurt
Just got it setup on my Y and everything is working great. I am temporarily using a Surface Duo and I found that having a 2nd screen was extremely helpful for the initial setup (had the webUI up on one screen and the CanDash app on the other). Im sure this was asked earlier but the app is constantly showing 50% battery. I'm kind of tempted to try out a yoke steering wheel so I can mount a larger tablet (Amazon Fire 8?) instead of a phone.

Thanks for the great work Nick!

Attachments

• PXL_20220219_195224259.jpg
    PXL_20220219_195224259.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: Transformer
Just got it setup on my Y and everything is working great. I am temporarily using a Surface Duo and I found that having a 2nd screen was extremely helpful for the initial setup (had the webUI up on one screen and the CanDash app on the other). Im sure this was asked earlier but the app is constantly showing 50% battery. I'm kind of tempted to try out a yoke steering wheel so I can mount a larger tablet (Amazon Fire 8?) instead of a phone.

Thanks for the great work Nick!
That's odd, state of charge should be one of the signals that is the most robust. If you tap the battery does it show range? I think tablet vs phone has different tradeoffs. Tablets are almost always 16:9 so it's a bit crowded albeit larger, and phones are smaller but have a wider aspect ratio, with higher display quality and contrast if your phone has an OLED display.

That's odd, state of charge should be one of the signals that is the most robust. If you tap the battery does it show range?

If I tap battery, nothing happens... in fact, upon further testing, I am not getting any readings in the CanDash app besides speed, drive mode, and the blind spot warnings: see attached screenshot. My assumption is that the CanServer is not configured properly and not sending all the relevant data to the app. The only thing I changed in the webUI after setting up wifi was the time sync (all I did was hit the Model 3/Y button and then Save below that). Let me know if you think I need to troubleshoot the CanServer with JW. Thanks again for your help!

Screenshot_20220219-204328.png

Screenshot_20220219-204131.png

If I tap battery, nothing happens... in fact, upon further testing, I am not getting any readings in the CanDash app besides speed, drive mode, and the blind spot warnings: see attached screenshot. My assumption is that the CanServer is not configured properly and not sending all the relevant data to the app. The only thing I changed in the webUI after setting up wifi was the time sync (all I did was hit the Model 3/Y button and then Save below that). Let me know if you think I need to troubleshoot the CanServer with JW. Thanks again for your help!

View attachment 771578
View attachment 771579
Try flipping your bus IDs so that A is 0 and B is 1.

Try flipping your bus IDs so that A is 0 and B is 1.

Same results (rebooted the CanServer between saving and even tried the S/X time sync just to make sure those didn't work)... if I goto the CanDash settings, I can see that things like the steering angle sensor and ultrasonic sensors are definitely updating properly. I am going to try pulling out the CanServer and checking all the connections again tomorrow morning; the car is in a tight spot right now in the garage for the night.

Same results (rebooted the CanServer between saving and even tried the S/X time sync just to make sure those didn't work)... if I goto the CanDash settings, I can see that things like the steering angle sensor and ultrasonic sensors are definitely updating properly. I am going to try pulling out the CanServer and checking all the connections again tomorrow morning; the car is in a tight spot right now in the garage for the night.
Oh yes, this makes sense if your vehicle bus is disconnected as the canserver will still operate on only the chassis bus (and some signals like speed are on both, whereas others like blind spot are only on the under seat chassis bus, and the gauges like charge state are only on the vehicle bus). Look closely at the connectors between the rear of the center console and the canserver.

Reactions: RNHurt
Curious if anyone has tried using CANdash in split screen with AutoKit.apk to allow for speed/blind spot monitoring plus wireless Apple CarPlay.

What draws me to CANdash is the blind spot monitor first and foremost as it does a great job of leveraging the car's internal sensors (I have a 2019 model 3) and the OEM attempts to showcase this on screen including the new side video don't seem to be as robust to me nor as simple.

But I'm also dying to have Apple CarPlay and stop having to select my source (book) every single time I get into my car. Would be nice to hear if a single Android device could offer both.

Also is the Google Pixel 2XL still preferred as per the website or would there be any advantages to a 4 XL?

Thanks!

Regarding phones or tablets you can use. I imagine any will do. I use an old Samsung Note3(6 inch screen). I added wireless charging to the phone and it is perfect paired with a wireless charger on the steering column I bought from China. The only issue I have is the initialization, the phone usb connector is broken and cannot update or change the OS in it has and it is something wrong with it. I need to restart the app every time I enter the car and from time to time it freezes (the whole phone just not the app). I planned to have it replace soon with a more modern phone. I believe somewhere in the thread there is a video with split screen with waze or something.

Pixel 2XL works great. I do have a 4XL but the aspect ratio is different and the extra processing power isn't necessary, though it will probably work fine. If you want to 3D print a custom mount, the design on the website is for a 2XL. Works fine with split screen.