Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something Rolling Around Back There

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting about a month ago I could hear something rolling around in the back of the car... sounded like a screw or a pencil. I looked around and could find nothing. The noice was sporadic; sometimes it was there when I went around a corner, sometimes not. I looked again, trying to find where in the back seat there was a surface hard enough that something could roll around and make that noise. Nothing. I began to suspect that either a screw had come loose and fallen out under the rear deck, where the speakers are, or that somebody had left a screw or a maybe a tool in there when the car was assembled. It was driving me nuts... I began contemplating a service call to get this resolved.

Finally, last week, after hearing the noise several times in one trip I decided I had to look at least once more on my own before setting up a service call.

I found it. You know that little storage compartment in the door, under the arm rest? One of my grandkids had deposited her used lollipop stick in there... it would roll to one side and kind of get stuck there until I made a hard turn, then it would roll to the other side and then back again. I removed the lollipop stick, the noise is now gone, and no service call.

Moral, of which there are two: 1) Careful about how quickly you assume something is wrong with the car because there are SO many quality complaints. I was sure something had come loose, or somebody had left something in there. 2) This is the really important one: NEVER, ever, let your grandkids in the Tesla; that's what the other car is for. And if you do, for some ridiculous reason, find yourself forced to let them in, NEVER, ever allow them to bring anything in with them... food, drinks, toys, crayons, bottles of glitter, stuffed animals, LOLLIPOPS because, and trust me on this, they WILL try everything they can to smuggle things in, which they will then squirrel away in various undetectable locations, under the seats, in the door wells and you will then hear those things rattling or rolling around and you will never find them and you'll be certain it's the car falling apart and you will schedule a $400 service call so they can locate the lollipop stick. EXCEPTION: To the aforementioned rule about not letting the grandkids in the Tesla... if you want to see a 4 year old laugh himself to tears, put him the front seat (not driving, fo course) and fire up the fart maker (the one in the car, not your real one). That alone is worth the price of a Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: zhu- and jjrandorin
Moral, of which there are two: 1) Careful about how quickly you assume something is wrong with the car because there are SO many quality complaints.
100%. On my previous two car leases I never even bothered to inspect the car. All the complaints of quality control leads people to spend more time looking for things that are wrong which leads to more complaints.