Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something sprayed on the windscreen after SC visit...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5C0D9E8A-432D-4A20-B2EE-A69B4109C40C.jpeg
D9F5E83D-166D-40FC-888D-69C3866143D0.jpeg
So I collect my car after a SC visit and as soon as it rained (like 15 mins after) the wipers we’re making a noise when wiping.
Almost as it they were wiping on a very rough surface.

I tried to clean with a lot of wiper fluid... nothing the noise continued.

then the rain intensified and visibility became REALLY bad and to make it worse it was getting dark which made it even worse. It felt like there was a layer of something on the windscreen.
I thought it’s moisture on the inside...
But No! The demister was on and you COULD NOT wipe any moisture or anything on the inside!!!

when I finally went home after my rounds I inspected the windscreen and I felt and saw something rough on the windscreen. the best I can compare it too is if you took hairspray or superglue and it dried down on the glass.
It’s very fine tiny dots so it looks like something that would have been sprayed and it’s quite evenly distributed... can’t figure out what it is!!

the frunk has been repainted... could it be spray of top coat?

I clearly tried the wiper fluid, glass cleaner and coarse microfiber cloth, tar remover but nothing so far!

the SC recommended the above and asked it it was tree sap or dust... clearly not..

If it rains lightly is not that bad, but if it’s heavy rain visibility is reduced significantly (Like 40%)
Next visit to SC booked for end of the month... but here rains constantly (UK) so I cannot Drive around like this!!

I can’t manage to capture what is looks like when the windscreen is dry as you can’t see anything unless you get very close to the glass.
These are the best pics I managed to take...
(The visibility from the inside pic is just when spraying the wipers, when it rains is x20 worse)

Do you know what is could be?
Do you know what else I could try?

thanks!!!

Sounds like it could be paint or clear overspray, especially if they were doing any of this sort of work at the SC. Alternately, it could be any aerosol chemical they use in the service center.

To remove, I'd start with glass cleaner and a good microfiber. Assuming that won't get the job done, you can try clay with typical lube/soapy solution or even better clay plus a tar-removing product (this will dissolve some of your clay in the process). If that doesn't work, you can carefully use a razor to gently "shave" the windshield. Use smooth straight strokes with some soapy solution -- very little downwards pressure!

Finally, if you have tools/ingredients (a GOOD random orbital, wool pad, and cerium oxide product like Carpro Ceri-glass), you can do a quick glass polishing.

• Love
Reactions: Blueskye
Sounds like it could be paint or clear overspray, especially if they were doing any of this sort of work at the SC. Alternately, it could be any aerosol chemical they use in the service center.

To remove, I'd start with glass cleaner and a good microfiber. Assuming that won't get the job done, you can try clay with typical lube/soapy solution or even better clay plus a tar-removing product (this will dissolve some of your clay in the process). If that doesn't work, you can carefully use a razor to gently "shave" the windshield. Use smooth straight strokes with some soapy solution -- very little downwards pressure!

Finally, if you have tools/ingredients (a GOOD random orbital, wool pad, and cerium oxide product like Carpro Ceri-glass), you can do a quick glass polishing.

Thanks!

I’ve already tried the glass cleaner and tar remover.. bought them just now especially for this..no success.

don’t have the rest Of the chemicals and wouldn’t trust myself whit a blade :confused:
I think I’m dropping the car off to the SC tomorrow and ask them to fix it.
It’s their fault and they can play with it..
As I also don’t want to scratch the windscreen and then having to pay to fix it while the SC could have done it for free all along... :D

You said in another thread that your hood was resprayed. This is almost definitely paint overspray. Its like these bozos didn't mask parts of your vehicle before starting the repaint process. Have them fix it all.

PS -- tar remover wont remove overspray but tar remover (or soapy solution) with clay will for sure. Understand you don't have a clay bar handy, but you might want to consider getting one as an every one or two year clay really rejuvenates your paint.

• Love
Reactions: Blueskye
As an update..
Visited SC yesterday, they were really nice, took it in, 30 mins and got it all cleaned up and changed the wipers too just in case!

the windscreen is now 95% perfect as before!
They left some stuff in some spots and on the edges, but will ask them to get it sorted on my next visit when they replace the window..

SUCCESS!!! :rolleyes: