Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something weird is happening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I’m having a real problem.
Here comes some background information first. I’m running 8kW Sunpower Module PV roof with a solaredge SE7k triple inverter. Connected to the inverter is a Modbus for monitoring and solaredge immersion heater controller via zigbee (WiFi).
A powerwall 2 is connected obviously.

And here comes my problem. Every time, when there is more than enough energy produced the immersion heater starts but it doesn’t stop anymore when there is no sun.Instead of stopping the powerwall takes over and powers the heater, discharging itself completely.
What can I do? Either it’s a software problem between inverter and powerwall or the clamps aren’t positioned correctly, that’s what I think. Can someone help me?????

Hey guys,
I’m having a real problem.
Here comes some background information first. I’m running 8kW Sunpower Module PV roof with a solaredge SE7k triple inverter. Connected to the inverter is a Modbus for monitoring and solaredge immersion heater controller via zigbee (WiFi).
A powerwall 2 is connected obviously.

And here comes my problem. Every time, when there is more than enough energy produced the immersion heater starts but it doesn’t stop anymore when there is no sun.Instead of stopping the powerwall takes over and powers the heater, discharging itself completely.
What can I do? Either it’s a software problem between inverter and powerwall or the clamps aren’t positioned correctly, that’s what I think. Can someone help me?????

Is the immersion heater load being sensed by the PW as part of the solar? The current system appears to ignore the direction of powerflow from the CTs that are associated with "solar". If there are loads on solar CTs the powerwall inverter seems to turn on and it ends up discharging to offset the "source" which turns out to be load.

I don't think the issue is with the Powerwall. I suspect it's the immersion heater controller that is assuming that all power coming from inside the house is from solar. Since it sees "excess solar," it stays turned on. Do you know how the solaredge system measures load and production? I think it needs to be set up so the production from the Powerwalls is ignored. There may be a way to move Solaredge's CTs so that the system behaves correctly.