Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something wrong with MY M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just had a horrendous drive into work this morning in my Model 3 on FSD Beta v. 10.12.2 - one of the worst and most nerve racking I've had in a long time. It started to make left turns in front of oncoming traffic twice - one time blindly following the car in front of it despite the fact that that car was also turning into oncoming traffic. And, after a right turn on green arrow, it came to an abrupt stop (not PB - I mean actual stop) just after completing the turn in the straightaway with a big pickup truck right on my rear bumper. Of course he thought I was brake checking him and it almost caused a fight.

Another unusual thing about this morning is that it cleaned the windshield multiple times and would occasionally just activate the wipers. I think the sun angle and intensity was playing havoc with the front cameras. And this brings me to my question: with all of the "praise" around v 10.12 and everybody saying they are getting close and all that, could their be something specific with MY Model 3 that is causing MY FSD to behave so badly. I haven't noticed any improvement in the last few versions of FSD Beta - nothing really any since 10.8, and after this drive I believe that 10.12 is actually worse. I mean if it's software, then it seems the car would have said "Something's wrong - I can't drive right now" instead of just putting itself into these extremely dangerous situations.

So how is one to know if there's something wrong with, e.g., their cameras or their windshield in front of the cameras, or a camera harness that's causing intermittent/bad data, and the like? I think the car needs an FSD diagnostic where the user sets out targets downloaded from the Internet and printed on their printer, and then lets the car run through some testing to make sure everything is copacetic. I mean if it turns out that the software is just worse, I would understand that - it's happened before. But it would be comforting to know this is just one of those "one step forward, two steps back" things and not that my cameras have gone pear shaped. (And yes, I do recalibrate on most updates)

FSD performance is highly dependent on the roads you're on, the traffic situation, visibility and a number of other factors. For me, the latest version is worse than the last one. I never got "ping ponging" until this version and it used to be able to keep its lane better; now it confuses right turn lanes with a lane that goes straight ahead. The car is more confident in turns which is an improvement but that's about the only positive for my situation using this version.

Long story short, there's nothing wrong with your car or software - for people like you and me, this version is simply a step back. That said, nothing is putting you in "extremely dangerous situations"...I always remain vigilant when driving with FSD and I've been able to disengage with plenty of safety margin before anything went wrong.

So I just had a horrendous drive into work this morning in my Model 3 on FSD Beta v. 10.12.2 - one of the worst and most nerve racking I've had in a long time. It started to make left turns in front of oncoming traffic twice - one time blindly following the car in front of it despite the fact that that car was also turning into oncoming traffic. And, after a right turn on green arrow, it came to an abrupt stop (not PB - I mean actual stop) just after completing the turn in the straightaway with a big pickup truck right on my rear bumper. Of course he thought I was brake checking him and it almost caused a fight.

Another unusual thing about this morning is that it cleaned the windshield multiple times and would occasionally just activate the wipers. I think the sun angle and intensity was playing havoc with the front cameras. And this brings me to my question: with all of the "praise" around v 10.12 and everybody saying they are getting close and all that, could their be something specific with MY Model 3 that is causing MY FSD to behave so badly. I haven't noticed any improvement in the last few versions of FSD Beta - nothing really any since 10.8, and after this drive I believe that 10.12 is actually worse. I mean if it's software, then it seems the car would have said "Something's wrong - I can't drive right now" instead of just putting itself into these extremely dangerous situations.

So how is one to know if there's something wrong with, e.g., their cameras or their windshield in front of the cameras, or a camera harness that's causing intermittent/bad data, and the like? I think the car needs an FSD diagnostic where the user sets out targets downloaded from the Internet and printed on their printer, and then lets the car run through some testing to make sure everything is copacetic. I mean if it turns out that the software is just worse, I would understand that - it's happened before. But it would be comforting to know this is just one of those "one step forward, two steps back" things and not that my cameras have gone pear shaped. (And yes, I do recalibrate on most updates)
I often have the same question in reverse. I feel bad when I read people struggling with FSD, reporting terrible issues on drives that I've never, or rarely, see on my own drives. I'm always trying to help people with suggestions on settings, calibrations, etc., but you may be right that some cars might just have something fundamentally different than others and it's causing odd FSD and AP issues. The question is, what can people do? The only thing I can think of is take the car to a service center and have it completely checked out. But some people say they've done that and the techs say everything is in spec. I really want to help, because I have a pretty good experience and wish others did too. 😢

Reactions: Twiglett
Thing to remember is that the car isn't learning between drives, its just interpreting differently each time.
Sometimes I'll do my regular drive and its not great, other times it nice and smooth, all while seeming from the outside to be exactly the same circumstances.
I guess its because FSDb isn't seeing it as the same and is interpreting its needed actions to be different.
Personally I don't think recalibrating cameras makes the slightest bit of difference, especially since we are all seeing the same inconsistent behavior.
Since owning my car, I haven't recalibrated cameras a single time, not once - yet still have the same inconsistencies of folks who recalibrate all the time.

Reactions: bradbrok
That said, nothing is putting you in "extremely dangerous situations"...I always remain vigilant when driving with FSD and I've been able to disengage with plenty of safety margin before anything went wrong.
Well if your measurement of "no extreme danger" is "no accidents," then I guess I agree with you. However, I try not to intervene until I'm at the point of, but for the intervention, an accident will occur, because otherwise, what's the point of testing?

It certainly feels that given how many revisions for parts that Tesla goes through, that there's a chance that a certain revision of a part or combination of part makes FSD behave in a deviant manner. We see this anecdotally. Some notable occurrences are:

1) some people having worse phantom braking on the highway with vision-only; others having almost no phantom braking on vision.
2) some cars issuing false positive strikes against FSDb usage; other cars not
3) cabin camera nag sensitivity high on some cars, low on others

Could be hardware issues. Hard to prove as a single car/person. Best you can do is report it, and maybe over time, a pattern emerges that allows Tesla to correlate a certain hardware batch with subpar FSDb performance.

Or it could just be just a sh*tty drive by FSD on that particular day and conditions, and your car is just fine.