TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Sometimes auto lane change doesn't work

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by RLC3, Jun 2, 2017.

1. RLC3

RLC3 Member

Sometimes when I use the turn signal to initiate a lane change in AutoPilot in my AP2 Model S, the car completely ignores my request. Other times it works fine. We haven't found any obvious reason.

Any ideas?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Mine does not work on local streets but it does work for freeways.

• Informative x 1
  3. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

I've occasionally experienced this same behavior with AP1. No idea why.

4. Haxster

Haxster Member

After the last two software updates (or shortly after), the "lane change" check box got unchecked. Once I re-enabled it in the configuration, all was well.

5. BrettS

BrettS Member

The car definitely does some checking to make sure it's safe to change lanes... if the camera can't detect another lane in the direction you are signaling then it won't attempt to change lanes. Likewise, if the ultrasonic sensors on the side of the car detect an obstacle, or have recently detected an obstacle the car won't attempt to change lanes. I have discovered that I'm if im trying to move into a lane shortly after another car passed me in that lane there is a much longer delay before the car attempts to move into the lane.

• Helpful x 1
  6. RLC3

RLC3 Member

It's possible the failed lane changes were due to the adjacent lane being poorly marked. I was on better roads the last couple of days, and did about 30 lane changes. All of them worked fine.

Thanks.

• Love x 1
  7. tpham07

tpham07 Member

My auto lane change will not work on what the car thinks is local roads (even state highways where the speed limit is 65). Interstates though, no problem.

8. Bruinfan

Bruinfan Member

AP1
    my experience has been a correlation btwn drunk driving AP and lack of lane change.
    consistently i've seen this:
    small stretch of NB only I5 btwn florin exit and 50/80
    I5 btwn bakersfield and modesto
    I5 north of corning SC to the border.

lanes are marked, but for some reason, it doesn't work well.

9. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I experienced that today, more than a few times. This is strange as I haven't seen this issue before. AP1.

Lanes render as normal, I can see the next lane shown on the dash. As soon as I signal left, the left lane disappear and no lane changes. Turn signal off and left lane reappears. Was on a divided limited access highway with 100kmph speed limit (407 in Toronto Canada)

It sometimes will work, but not all the time. It used to always work.