Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sometimes it’s possessed! [auto wipers without rain / side camera blocked message]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue with my 2023 MYAWD that I have had for less than week.

I created a service appointment but they mentioned that this is known issue and it will be fixed with a firmware update. As usual, the did not say when it will be fixed, but at least is good to know they know about it.

When I picked up my MYP, the driver side pillar camera still had the protective film on it. I left it alone and on a couple of nights, especially while it was raining, the warning about the camera being block popped up.

I mentioned it being there when the service guy came to install HomeLink and eventually ended up peeling it off. No message since.

I figured they were related but I want to leave it there a while longer. I mean, I only just took off the film over the hatch button over the license plate. And I still have one over the front passenger door sill plate… and the vanity mirrors (which I did forget about). I don’t think there are anymore.. but who knows.

I get the side pillar camera obstructed message any time the sun comes out. It seems to be more frequent on the driver’s side versus the right. It hasn’t bothered me much…yet. But if it’s constant during the summer, I’ll open a service request.
I ended up taking mine in for service for the camera issue, and it didn’t make any difference.

For a while now I have been getting the side cameras blocked or blinded message or multiple cameras blocked or blinded. Not constantly, but consistently under all conditions. I understand it when the sun is bearing down on that side but it does it when it's a cloudy day too. Just the messages on the screen coming and going with no other observed effects. Just been ignoring it but thought I would toss my hat in this discussion. I can't pinpoint when this started but it's not dirty cameras or condensation in the pillars or anything else I can see.

Not constantly, but consistently under all conditions.
Correction after more observation. Messages appear often under any conditions except when using AP. Then they don't appear. In fact, if there is an active blocked or blinded message it is instantly canceled when AP is engaged. This makes me think these are false alerts due to some software bug. Others experiencing similar? Current version 2023.2.12.

This random activation of wipers on automatic is one of the most frustrating type of SW issues for me, episodic and not reproducible. It had been behaving decently for a week or so and just today 2/3rds of the way into a 10 minute drive on a sunshiney day it kept on a slow steady rate, not even intermittant. Definitely flaky and in need of a software fix.

Possible Workaround: I think we have all had "wacky wipers" during various types of driving behavior. Yesterday on a bright, sunny day, driving about 30 mph with no sudden movements, mine came on for no reason. I was able to hit the button on the left stalk and after one additional wipe it stopped. This is the second time I was able to stop it in this manner. It is certainly much better than finding it in the control menus. One is also able to keep it on automatic for the next time it decides to work properly. I would say in my two months of ownership, proper wiper operation 80%, improper 20%.

I have had my brand new LR MY for about two weeks. I had a model S for seven years before this car. I'm a Tesla fan! But now, I cannot ever engage either TACC or Autopilot without the wipers coming on and the OFF button on the screen is greyed out. I have taken it to the service center twice and had the Mobile Service Team come out to my home for a third attempt to resolve it. So far, they have cleaned the camera lens, scrubbed the inside of the windshield, recalibrated the camera and replaced the wiper blades. Nothing helps. About 80-90% of the time, whenever I engage cruise control or auto steer, the wipers stay on all the time. I tried for a fourth attempt to get Tesla to fix this issue and was advised that they know about the problem and are investigating. They can't help me. Well, they have evidently been investigating this for over two years and I can't drive my car on a dry day! All I want is for someone, somewhere in the Tesla organization to talk to me about this. I'm an engineer and I've written a good bit of software. I think I can understand the jargon. I want to ask them why I cannot be allowed to turn off my wipers when in autopilot. Can anyone help with finding the phone number for someone in the Tesla team who gives a hoot? The car is superb in every other way but driving it on a dry day with the wipers on continuously is not making me happy.

It's Crazy that this is even a Thing.......How long have automatic wipers been an automotive standard????

Something like 27 years.........you said there would be no Math Today ! ! !

In 1996 CADILLAC introduced rain sensing wipers in the STS. The STS’s Rainsense system read light refraction between an LED and light collectors’ sensor array and the windshield. Raindrop obscuration activated the wipers.

I have a 2020 MYP and recently rented a 2023 MYP in Florida. The 2023 was actually worse than my 2020. There is no reason wipers should be turning on in bright sunshine with no rain or precipitation. A way to mitigate the issue would be to untie the Auto Wiper function from the Cruise Control. Its infuriating to be on any lengthy drive at speed on a highway with nary a Cloud in the sky and have the wiper turn on highest speed ! ! ! ! ! Our Tesla Technician said the Automatic Wipers are still in "Beta" stage. Seems to be a common response for these problems areas.

Correction after more observation. Messages appear often under any conditions except when using AP. Then they don't appear. In fact, if there is an active blocked or blinded message it is instantly canceled when AP is engaged. This makes me think these are false alerts due to some software bug. Others experiencing similar? Current version 2023.2.12.
Just a follow up on this issue. This 'seems' to have been corrected in 2023.6.11. Awesome. :cool:

I agree that, as configured, the auto wipers on feature whenever cruise control is used is absolutely broken. I use cruise all the time and my wipers are constantly grinding themselves away on a clean and dry windshield. No one can convince me that this feature is needed for Tesla Vision to work. What’s next, auto windshield washing whenever cruise is used? We’ll need to add an EPA rating for miles per gallon of washer fluid. If the cameras can’t see, just give a message that ‘cruise control is unavailable due to blocked vision’ or some such thing. I survived 3-1/2 years without this useless feature on my Model 3 and now I’m almost sorry I got my new Model Y. Fix it, Elon!

I bought a used 21 LRMY and apparently the auto wiper issue has started getting progressively worse. What I have noticed is dust through condensation and streaks have built up between the back of my windshield and the camera housing.

Does anyone have a service manual on how to remove the plastic casing? At least that would allow me to wipe the glass right in front of it which hopefully alleviates the issue.

With that said, this is such as asinine and cost saving attempt from Tesla that it's pretty pathetic to say the least. I have a 04 Mercedes C class with gasp, a perfectly working auto sensing wipers! No neural network nor "AI" jargon needed.

I agree that, as configured, the auto wipers on feature whenever cruise control is used is absolutely broken. I use cruise all the time and my wipers are constantly grinding themselves away on a clean and dry windshield. No one can convince me that this feature is needed for Tesla Vision to work. What’s next, auto windshield washing whenever cruise is used? We’ll need to add an EPA rating for miles per gallon of washer fluid. If the cameras can’t see, just give a message that ‘cruise control is unavailable due to blocked vision’ or some such thing. I survived 3-1/2 years without this useless feature on my Model 3 and now I’m almost sorry I got my new Model Y. Fix it, Elon!
Because Elon thinks humans can't look what's right in front of them on cruise mode? SMH

Same issues here. I drive early morning everyday and have been trying everything to get around it. If I recalibrate the cameras the wipers stay off for about a day or two then return.

There is a warning about recalibrating but seems like I need to do this before every night/morning trip to keep them off. Very frustrating but hope this helps someone. Use new search function for camera recalibration.

Looks like we are on the cusp of getting some resolution to this ridiculous problem. However, Musk wasn't very clear on what the fix would be OR if Tesla would just allow disable the auto-wiper function during AutoPilot or FSD use.

"Elon Musk responded to the request, and the CEO actually apologized for the feature’s subpar performance. Musk explained that automatic wipers are one of the last neural networks to be updated to surround video, so improvements to the feature should be noticeable in future updates. “Sorry, this is one of the last neural nets to be updated to surround video (from single camera, single frame),” Musk wrote."