Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sometimes it hard to keep the faith: repeated Supercharging failure and bad service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you really want to use the word 'lies'? Really? That implies intent to deceive and in this case you're saying the entire Rocklin Service Center conspired to deceive you.

Please read through before you lecture. I never said the Rocklin staff lied, in fact I got the impression that they were competent but constrained by policy and approval from Tesla HQ. In #1 of this thread I thanked the Rocklin Service boss for correcting the second phone rep and stepping up to get me taken care of.

I do however have a real issue with what the first phone rep said to get me to drive to Rocklin which was very different from what I found when I got there. Then for the second phone rep for reprimanding me over false information.

Please read through before you lecture.

I do however have a real issue with what the first phone rep said to get me to drive to Rocklin which was very different from what I found when I got there. Then for the second phone rep for reprimanding me over false information.

The issue is eloquently laid out by topoltron. Pretty clear documentation, setting of expectations, and handoff was mishandled to his completely unnecessary inconvenience.

And that it was his intention to not create significant unnecessary expense to Tesla seems missed by many.

Tesla's car refused to charge at a supercharger, twice. Both times Tesla service centers missed opportunities to fix the problem. OP has every right to be pissed. I would have been. Scares me that so many forum members seem to tend to blame the victim. I love Tesla and my Model S, but forums are specifically for this purpose - to vent frustration with a car company when it screws up, as Tesla did here, and to warn other purchasers. Quit the "blame the victim" stuff already!

Blame the victim? Pffffyt. That's a stretch. Sorry, but I have an issue with a couple of things. The original story left out that a replacement vehicle was offered (and right, I know it wasn't a Model S - this wasn't a scheduled visit). This whole thing could have been handled with very minor inconvenience to the OP. But that wasn't mentioned. Secondly, the demand for a tow to another location was outside Tesla policy and everyone was well aware of that. The OP did not want his car worked on at Rocklin, he wanted another solution, and he simply wanted it his way. I get that. But let's not blame Tesla for everything, okay? Did Rocklin offer to supply a loaner? Yes. Did Rocklin offer to fix the car? Yes. Were both offers declined? Yes.

Fair is fair. And the real question, of course, is was this first reported to Tesla management? Or was coming on the forum and blasting folks (who cannot respond) just a way of venting - and do people think that is a fair way to handle things? Because if it is, if we do not work with Tesla first, then every time someone doesn't get what they want, they can threaten Tesla with going on the forums and blasting them, knowing they cannot tell their side of the story. Yeah. That's fair.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of Tesla's best folks have relocated to this new center -- so yeah, seeing a negative post did make me look at the whole thing with more than a bit of skepticism. Which is why I assumed that perhaps prior experiences may have colored perception.

of course it did! lol

Taking my post out of context is really beneath you. Or maybe not. Dunno. But carefully editing to imply that whenever I see a negative post, I'm skeptical, is not cool.

Classy. (And just so you know it's a joke, just like your post ... "LOL". That makes it all better.)

Blame the victim? Pffffyt. That's a stretch. Sorry, but I have an issue with a couple of things. The original story left out that a replacement vehicle was offered...

You certainly seem to be and right from #1: "they could give me a 50 mile tow now, versus the 3 day, one-way rental and flatbedding my car home 150 miles they were proposing".

You may back down and apologize at any time
:smile:

You're right. I missed the rental. I apologize for that. But I don't get the whole drama over the offered solutions. Why refuse to take the solution that would have gotten you on your way immediately? Why come on the forum and trash folks who cannot respond with their side of the story? It really sounds like the only solution you were willing to consider was your way. Period. No matter how I read it. And that turned an annoyance into a problem for a lot of people.

You wanted your Model S on your trip and you wanted your local SC to work on your car and no other solution sounds like it was acceptable. Did I get that wrong?

I GET being frustrated because the car wasn't fixed before and different people on the phone said different things. But the people likely bearing the brunt of your post aren't the ones who caused the problem. Just seems unfair to me.

Sometimes it hard to keep the faith: repeated Supercharging failure and bad s...

I understand not getting a Model S loaner is upsetting but if you had simply taken the ICE loaner car once you realized the Rocklin repair time wasn't that quick your delay would have been minimal, right? What is the issue then? Maybe I'm not understanding the situation. Sounds like they would have repaired your car and sent your car via flatbed 150 miles home.

Last edited:
Or was coming on the forum and blasting folks (who cannot respond) just a way of venting - and do people think that is a fair way to handle things? Because if it is, if we do not work with Tesla first, then every time someone doesn't get what they want, they can threaten Tesla with going on the forums and blasting them, knowing they cannot tell their side of the story. Yeah. That's fair.

Why come on the forum and trash folks who cannot respond with their side of the story? It really sounds like the only solution you were willing to consider was your way. Period. No matter how I read it. And that turned an annoyance into a problem for a lot of people.

I didn't know this forum was off limits to Tesla reps telling their side of the story. I quite often see company reps going to public forums and dealing with consumer issues. Why can't Tesla also do that? Your premise for attacking tpoltron seems fatally flawed to me.

tpoltron, I can understand your position 100% and, to me, you laid it out fairly and reasonably even though dealing with these types of repeated problems, with small kids in the tow, can cause us to become unreasonable. Like you, I am also a huge Tesla supporter but, unlike many here, I think that holding the company accountable makes them stronger and should not be shied away from. To me, this forum is set up more as a cheerleading forum for Tesla, with the mods in very strict control even with someone reasonable like you who has a legitimate issue that should be aired, and that's too bad.

if you had simply taken the ICE loaner car once you realized the Rocklin repair time wasn't that quick your delay would have been minimal, right? What is the issue then? Maybe I'm not understanding the situation. Sounds like they would have repaired your car and sent your car via flatbed 150 miles home.

Fundamentally it was a known good solution (30min delay, lease cost to Tesla, no fooling with carseats n luggage) vs unknown solution far more out of our control. Do you know how much crap I'd get from my wife if she had to drive rushour to work in the Bay Area in a rental Chrysler after being spoiled by her Model S with carpool lane stickers if we had to wait a couple weeks for parts to come in?

Fundamentally it was a known good solution (30min delay, lease cost to Tesla, no fooling with carseats n luggage) vs unknown solution far more out of our control. Do you know how much crap I'd get from my wife if she had to drive rushour to work in the Bay Area in a rental Chrysler after being spoiled by her Model S with carpool lane stickers if we had to wait a couple weeks for parts to come in?

I understand but you ended up searching for the perfect solution adding many hours to your trip instead of taking the admittedly less than ideal ICE loaner and going on your way. Did Tesla indicate it would take weeks? I thought they said hours at most (which was too long I know but with transport maybe 3 days like you said).

Since I do not know you and your personality I do not know if you are being sarcastic or not but do you really think that Tesla employees do not come onto this site?

The only way to 'see' a Tesla employee on this forum is if they post and also identify themselves. Outside GeorgeB who was with Tesla can you identify any other Tesla people who post here? Of course there are people who can simply read the site since it is open to the public.

Sometimes it hard to keep the faith: repeated Supercharging failure and bad s...

I am sorry, did I quote you in my reply or ask you a question?

No. It is the correct answer though. You do realize it wasn't a PM but a public post I replied to, don't you? No apology necessary. You are very welcome.

Last edited: