Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sonata Hybrid gets solar roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were rumblings that Hyundai and Kia were going to introduce decent (e.g., can charge the traction battery - not just run a fan) solar in their cars about a year ago:

Hyundai and Kia unveil new solar roof to charge batteries in vehicles, launching next year - Electrek

Now it looks like it is happening in the JDM and US market Sonata Hybrids:

Hyundai launches first car with solar roof charging system

Looks like about 200w. Here in California, most of the year it could snag about a kWh a day - equivalent to about $50/year of electricity. So yeah, it will barely pay for itself over the life of the car. But I think it is neat tech. Interestingly, Hyundai chose to implement it in their non-plug-in hybrid. Maybe considering the cost per mile driving with gas is 2-3x more than electricity, it is more cost-effective to implement it there first? I.e., it might save about $50/year in electricity for a BEV, but maybe more like $100/year or more of gas (and reduced ICE maintenance) in a gas/electric hybrid.

Solar roofs on cars aren't practical, nor do they add value. They're complex, expensive and don't generate much energy. Parking in the shade could save more energy from initial climate control cool-down than the solar roof would produce with the car parked in the sun.

I'd much rather see Hyundai invest this money in putting solar panels on their dealerships and manufacturing facilities, reducing vehicle production emissions.

Solar roofs on cars aren't practical, nor do they add value. They're complex, expensive and don't generate much energy. Parking in the shade could save more energy from initial climate control cool-down than the solar roof would produce with the car parked in the sun.

I don't see how they are so complex. Solar is getting so cheap that the cells themselves in a 200w panel would only cost about $100. A MPPT controller and DC-DC converter at that power level couldn't be a lot either. It would probably end up costing the same or less than a typical sunroof. I've owned a number of vehicles with sunroofs, and rarely used them. I'd rather have a solar roof than a sunroof.

And many of us can't/don't park in shaded areas.

I'd much rather see Hyundai invest this money in putting solar panels on their dealerships and manufacturing facilities, reducing vehicle production emissions.

One doesn't preclude the other.