TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

soo....1400 just got hit

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by 7racer, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 7racer

7racer Member

#1 7racer, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    :cursing:

Porsche Cayenne just merged into my drivers side. Took out the mirror and scraped down the length of the car. Right behind the door it looks like it got into the carbon fiber.

Submitted a claim electronically. Allstate will most likely contact me tomorrow and the other driver.

Any suggestions on what to look for and to make sure it gets fixed correctly?

Will I have to wait 6month for parts to come from England?!?!

Thanks

and ya...less than 1-2 months old with 2000 miles on it!!!!!!

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

3. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

My sincere condolences, 7racer!

4. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Man, does that suck. Did you get a police report filed? Keep us up to date.

I really, really do not like SUVs.

5. 7racer

7racer Member

thanks everyone.

When I was doing research about buying the car, I remember looking at service and repairs. That's when I came across that thread that Doug linked about taking a long time to repair. Mine doesn't look that bad but will get a better look when the sun is up and can see it in natural light.

No police report. The guy seemed responsible (wearing a suit) and we exchanged info.

With such a small car, my radar is usually high when pulling past big cars and SUV's. I had just landed from a meeting in Vegas and was running errands (picked up my tux and my dates dress). I was pulling up to a red light going maybe 10 mph? When he decided that he liked my lane better.....wasn't really expecting it at all. I was too far to his side to see his turn signal (looks like impact was just behind my front tire) and my car is so low and being on his passenger side he probably thought he hit a squirrel at first....until the F bombs started floating thru the air.

6. 7racer

7racer Member

#6 7racer, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    also I sent a quick email to my Tesla rep when I made it home.

Almost immediately I got a reply. She already tried to alleviate my anxiety about getting it fixed and said she would contact the regional rep to take a look at it when it's at the shop to make sure it gets fixed correctly.

I have to admit, that the customer service has been fantastic. I can already tell that I will be replacing my VW Sportwagen TDI with either the X or S.

Tesla has been fantastic

ok....back to the bottle of scotch

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#7 doug, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  8. 7racer

7racer Member

LOL...no not on a highway...but not that far off!

I think he had the cheapy Cayenne without the blind spot warning system. LOL

9. Tommy

Tommy Member

See if you can't get a quick fix on the mirror so the car is legally drivable until all the parts necessary for repair are available for install. Barring that, I would wait until all parts are in before sending the car to the body shop.

10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Sorry to hear 7racer.

Too many people have no clue that they can usually be cited for an unsafe lane change if they change lanes in or near an intersection...at least you weren't at fault!

Hope the repairs come through quickly. I'm in the middle of getting my car repaired because I got rear-ended on Halloween.

I shudder to think of getting hit when I'm in the Model S (yikes!)

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Mr._Bill.jpg

Glad to hear that no one was hurt...

12. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

That sucks man. I was wondering why I didn't see you around.

13. 7racer

7racer Member

Update:

good part...the other driver took responsibility
    bad part...no one knows this car

Since he took responsibility, I assume it's better to do this all thru his insurance...someone correct me if I am wrong. Also, Tesla recommend I find a high end repair shop. Chime in if someone has any other recommendations.

14. 7racer

7racer Member

15. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Your insurance company should handle the whole thing. They focus on getting you fixed and running, then they get the money from the at-fault insurance company.

16. 7racer

7racer Member

yep that's what I was thinking. I get indemnified and my insurance company needs to "make me whole" in insurance speak and then they go after the other insurance company to recoup the cost.

where as if I go thru their insurance company, they don't have as much of an obligation to me.

However, doing it this way "shouldn't" cause any changes in my premium correct?

17. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

As long as the other driver accepts responsibility, it shouldn't.

That's why I would have recommended you call the cops in this case. Even though it was only a fender bender, the total cost of the damage, due to the Roadster's materials, is high enough that a police report would be very beneficial. All it takes is for the other driver to claim no, or partial, responsibility and it quickly devolves into a "no-fault" claim and you're stuck with paying a deductible and having possible premium increases.

18. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

This is precisely the reason, even if you're driving a clunker, you want to have full comprehensive coverage. With only liability coverage, it's you against the other guy's insurance company. With comprehensive coverage, your insurance company acts as your advocate. The difference in price between the two is well worth it.

19. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

At the very least Service King. I'd probably check with the local exotics dealers as to what they use as well. Also make sure that you tell them to plug it in even if it is the 110v spare connector.

20. 7racer

7racer Member

Mycroft, thanks for the advice!

Pete, I was wondering about plugging it in. Plan to mention it to them and putting it in storage mode/valet correct?

I usually use Stuart's for repairs.
    Stuarts Paint and Body