Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to be MY owner essential accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a follow-up to the original question: any accessories that you wish you had right away? For example, the console wraps can wait, but I guess a license plate holder solution is something you want right away.

So anything else that I should get in advance of delivery next week?

Matte screen protector. I tried watching Sentry playback on a sunny day and could not see a thing on screen. Ordered it 3 days into ownership.

Vinyl frustrated the crap out of me - I started at the cup holder and the small sides right and left of the cupholder did me in. I stretched them too much which distort the whole piece. After 30 mins of playing with it - I had great satisfaction of ripping it off and crumbling it up along with the other 3 pieces of vinyl - money down the drain. To those who have applied perfectly - my hat is off to you. While I was applying the vinyl I realized I would never - even in the best of conditions apply it perfectly AND having that vinyl look like garbage significantly cheapens the inside of the car. Do not recommend the vinyl unless you have Jedi powers. Recommend the shell - amazon has them. Abstract ocean annoys me as they say they are coming in and never really do - buy from amz.
The one from EV wraps is great. The cup holder piece has clear pieces on each side making it easy to align and secure in place. I did one from another place on my M3 and it was much more of a challenge.

i live in az so didnt need a front plate holder, but im pretty sure the car comes with a front holder of some sort, though aftermarket might be better options.

i'd say get a bonus tray for the front center pocket, rubber liners and cup holder add on so cups aren't flopping around.

Other small things I got: screen protector, plastic covers for door hinges, door open icons (new MY's shouldnt need this), vinyl for center console and steering wheel T, a spacer for the phone charger (my note9 with case needs it, without a case its fine though) black plate holder for the back for when I dip the emblems.
Covers for door hinges? I’ve never seen those, where and why?

1) Jack pucks (should get these to protect car)
2) Hidden storage compartment (center console armrest)

Attachments

• 8B658BF8-1C64-4AC9-B9D0-ADAF1EC608BB.jpeg
    8B658BF8-1C64-4AC9-B9D0-ADAF1EC608BB.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 4809BC46-F189-4B2C-8D2D-EEBBEAA5121F.jpeg
    4809BC46-F189-4B2C-8D2D-EEBBEAA5121F.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 133
Here is what I bought the same day I placed my order since I heard that a lot of this goes in and out of stock all the time:

• Tesmanian floor mats interior liners, rear trunk well storage mat, front trunk mat frunk cargo liner and rear trunk mat cargo liner
  • EVANNEX front license plate bracket and dual deck center console insert
  • Tesla: Homelink and appropriate NEMA adaptors (I have a plug-in Prius and am “borrowing” the outlet)
  • EV Armor Tesla HOV Sticker PPF - Model 3 Paint Protection and Door Handle Scratch Guard (only needed if you don’t wrap your doors or bumpers)
AMAZON:

Here is what I bought the same day I placed my order since I heard that a lot of this goes in and out of stock all the time:

• Tesmanian floor mats interior liners, rear trunk well storage mat, front trunk mat frunk cargo liner and rear trunk mat cargo liner
  • EVANNEX front license plate bracket and dual deck center console insert
  • Tesla: Homelink and appropriate NEMA adaptors (I have a plug-in Prius and am “borrowing” the outlet)
  • EV Armor Tesla HOV Sticker PPF - Model 3 Paint Protection and Door Handle Scratch Guard (only needed if you don’t wrap your doors or bumpers)
AMAZON:

How much space is in the hidden compartment? What are you storing in there?

Thanks for sharing, @VaxAce. I was wanting to vinyl wrap but I'm pretty clumsy and worried I'd have trouble. Even getting screen protectors onto phone screens in the past has always been a challenge (to the point where I no longer bother). I wasn't aware of the plastic shell covers as an alternative to the vinyl so thanks for mentioning! I see RPM Tesla has some (after a quick Google search) that look decent in the matte black finish. I will check Amazon as well. Have you used these before? Do they add much bulk? Do they make creaky noises or anything?
I bought 2 shells from amazon -- both were good - I kept this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V45ZYWN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I felt it matched the interior white better. HOWEVER - abstract ocean recently came in stock of their shells which are supposed to be better - its to be delivered Thursday aug 20 and I'll let you know how that is.. its double the price.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
As a follow-up to the original question: any accessories that you wish you had right away? For example, the console wraps can wait, but I guess a license plate holder solution is something you want right away.

So anything else that I should get in advance of delivery next week?

None that wish I had right away - but these are ones I was ultra glad I had waiting (car took so long all the accessories were practically waiting in a pile :p

1. Floor mats - pick one. I went with TESMANIAN (2020 Tesla Model Y Floor Mats Interior Liners) due to it's availability at the time and I liked how it had very tall sides/lips for where I live. I can't knock the Maxpiders, but it was pretty heftily priced for me.

2. Screen protector - I didn't put this on until > 7 days (in case I was going to return it.) If you're also going to wait, I'd advise not taking the plastic cover that comes w/ the car. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to dust and screen covers and I love being able to rip the original plastic off and slap on the screen protector right away. No one's touched it, no dust on it.

3.Memory card - this was ULTRA crucial. But if you want to have Sentry Mode and Dash Cam readily available the moment you drive out, having a memory card handy will make sure you're recording from day 1.

That's it for what I think is important from Day 1 - I did not get frunk or trunk liners for day 1 nor do I have any yet. I figure these can wait. I waited almost a week+ before I put the center console vinyl on. Once it's back from service center, I plan to do wheel and dash white CF wrap, toss on my glossy blue decal vinyls, and paint up the rims black.

Reactions: FredMertz
Apologies in advance for the stupid question, but I see a lot of people buying the jack pads as an essential item. What is that used for? Is it just to protect the paint and battery if you ever need to jack up the car? Any other intended purposes for it? Thanks.

Apologies in advance for the stupid question, but I see a lot of people buying the jack pads as an essential item. What is that used for? Is it just to protect the paint and battery if you ever need to jack up the car? Any other intended purposes for it? Thanks.
I believe it distributes the load over a larger portion of the frame from a jack and prevents slippage and scratching.

if your car goes in for service like a tire change at a local Service center or Costco they may not have these pads.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Teslas don't have the same jack points as other cars, so you definitely need some sort of pad to protect the car. These have "nipples" that fit into corresponding depressions on the undercarriage so it doesn't leave much room for mistakes.

You don't NEED them, but if your car is being serviced by someone without experience jacking Teslas, they are well worth the price to have on hand.

• Informative
Reactions: HeyEph
Although a bit pricey, I have been very pleased with the Gen 3 HD Clear screen protector from Abstract Ocean. Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3 & Y
I'm sure I will end up getting one for peace of mind, but I honestly don't understand why something that can not be dropped would need a screen protector. I've had a screen on my cars for more than 10 years and, not only I have I never had one get damaged, I don't recall anything ever happening that could have, but didn't, damage the screen.