Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to be MY owner essential accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woof. Four. OK. I’d start looking at Thule, they have some swing away designs that might fit the bill - and still let you charge. Some SCs are installed directly behind a parking stall vs the side of stall.

I would lean away from fixed racks because of charging and the # of bikes you have. My rack is for two and doesn’t stick out too far.

I’d bet folks in the 3, X or S forums have experience here.

I see would your recommend one brand over the other? Specially we are looking to take at least four bikes on the rack.

I will stick with vinyl as an experiment in my own application abilities, if it turns out ridiculously bad, i'll probably do the plastic shell. I wanted satin black> carbon fiber which was my main reason.

im going to go with a samsung endurance micro sd 128gb, just to negate any power draw issues, and for simplicity's sake. The front will just be for the wireless charging pad and the cam. I'll probably use the basic mats for now till more companies develop their Y mats. Hopefully by the time it starts pouring rain here in PHX other mat options will become available.

I have to get a schedule with an electriction for the 14-50 soon, and probably buy the wall connector, it's only been a couple days but delivery will take place saturday so things might not align in this regard.

@pigwet

How hard is the install of the shell? It sounds like the vinyl is a real beast.

I'm also going back and forth about the trailer hitch for our bike rack. I am considering skipping it altogether. If we really were going somewhere to transport the bikes, we'd probably take my wife's third-row SUV which has the hitch.

So many different options for floor mats. Do we not like the OEM liners? I've had good experience with Husky in the past...

Is there a benefit to using a MicroSD card through a USB adapter as opposed to just plugging in a USB thumb drive? Is the idea that you can swap the cards more easily to view the contents on an external device? Or is there a difference in the power demands?

For MicroSD card, you need to purchase the high endurance type, which is made for dashcam/action cams and supports more frequent re-writes. On the other hand, standard USB thumb drive is made for storage or read, not built for a lot of re-writes, thus shorter life for dashcam use.

• Helpful
Reactions: LNL_HUTZ
@pigwet

How hard is the install of the shell? It sounds like the vinyl is a real beast.

I'm also going back and forth about the trailer hitch for our bike rack. I am considering skipping it altogether. If we really were going somewhere to transport the bikes, we'd probably take my wife's third-row SUV which has the hitch.

So many different options for floor mats. Do we not like the OEM liners? I've had good experience with Husky in the past...

I bought the matrix black vinyl pack from Abstract Ocean. Is the shell way easier to install - yes. Was the vinyl all that bad - no. The video they have on the product page is very helpful and it's all about patience. the trickiest part is just lining up the piece correctly. It will lift up and allow for readjustment if you go light, and only really press firm and use the included tool once you are confident of placement. I'd say all in all about 20 minutes, looks just fine and I wouldn't consider myself a super handy or patient person honestly.

Reactions: Pilot1226
Vinyl frustrated the crap out of me - I started at the cup holder and the small sides right and left of the cupholder did me in. I stretched them too much which distort the whole piece. After 30 mins of playing with it - I had great satisfaction of ripping it off and crumbling it up along with the other 3 pieces of vinyl - money down the drain. To those who have applied perfectly - my hat is off to you. While I was applying the vinyl I realized I would never - even in the best of conditions apply it perfectly AND having that vinyl look like garbage significantly cheapens the inside of the car. Do not recommend the vinyl unless you have Jedi powers. Recommend the shell - amazon has them. Abstract ocean annoys me as they say they are coming in and never really do - buy from amz.

Vinyl frustrated the crap out of me - I started at the cup holder and the small sides right and left of the cupholder did me in. I stretched them too much which distort the whole piece. After 30 mins of playing with it - I had great satisfaction of ripping it off and crumbling it up along with the other 3 pieces of vinyl - money down the drain. To those who have applied perfectly - my hat is off to you. While I was applying the vinyl I realized I would never - even in the best of conditions apply it perfectly AND having that vinyl look like garbage significantly cheapens the inside of the car. Do not recommend the vinyl unless you have Jedi powers. Recommend the shell - amazon has them. Abstract ocean annoys me as they say they are coming in and never really do - buy from amz.

My vinyl ended up 99% fine. Only part I had a crinkle was between the cupholder and armrest and is invisible unless you lift the rest. Can't say it was easy though, I turned off the a/c and after 30 minutes of install it was 100+ in the car. Most just a matter of delicate fingers until you have it set where you want, and lots of light to see.

Tesla Roof Rack and cargo box. I was able to reuse the Yakima Sky Box 16 that used to be on our Subaru Outback, and that really made difference on our first camping trip with the MY. All weather floor mats are next in my list for ski season (assuming there is one).

Do not recommend the vinyl unless you have Jedi powers. Recommend the shell - amazon has them. Abstract ocean annoys me as they say they are coming in and never really do - buy from amz.

Thanks for sharing, @VaxAce. I was wanting to vinyl wrap but I'm pretty clumsy and worried I'd have trouble. Even getting screen protectors onto phone screens in the past has always been a challenge (to the point where I no longer bother). I wasn't aware of the plastic shell covers as an alternative to the vinyl so thanks for mentioning! I see RPM Tesla has some (after a quick Google search) that look decent in the matte black finish. I will check Amazon as well. Have you used these before? Do they add much bulk? Do they make creaky noises or anything?

As a follow-up to the original question: any accessories that you wish you had right away? For example, the console wraps can wait, but I guess a license plate holder solution is something you want right away.

So anything else that I should get in advance of delivery next week?

This is an ingenious cell phone holder that also includes a "hidden" pocket for sunglasses. Fits like a glove on top of the screen without being visible or impeding use at all.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088FJF6K3/

If you're like me and don't like rubber all season trunk mats, these thick waterproof woven mats work and look great. Bonus - it has two separate trunk mats so both compartments remain accessible. Perfect custom tailored fit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B157RVT/

A cheap key card holder like this does wonders.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJDR6HD/

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: saltsman
As a follow-up to the original question: any accessories that you wish you had right away? For example, the console wraps can wait, but I guess a license plate holder solution is something you want right away.

So anything else that I should get in advance of delivery next week?

i live in az so didnt need a front plate holder, but im pretty sure the car comes with a front holder of some sort, though aftermarket might be better options.

i'd say get a bonus tray for the front center pocket, rubber liners and cup holder add on so cups aren't flopping around.

Other small things I got: screen protector, plastic covers for door hinges, door open icons (new MY's shouldnt need this), vinyl for center console and steering wheel T, a spacer for the phone charger (my note9 with case needs it, without a case its fine though) black plate holder for the back for when I dip the emblems.