Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to be owner of new Tesla Model 3 long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my car will be delivered mid next month. Forget test drive, I have not even seen one from close. I did read a lot about the car online though. I understand that immediate accelerator feedback and regenerative braking will be something to get used to. However, coming from a 2 wheel drive 1.4 L Diesel engine , Tesla could be a big surprise.

Coming to the question, do you think I should opt for a test drive? With this COVID situation and contactless test drive, it may be same as watch videos and learn on the fly experience. Only benefit I see is that they would explain all the options which come with the car since that will be something to learn. Also, should I be worried moving from 2 to 4 wheel drive?

I have been driving cars for about 12 years and motorcycles for 20 (I think). I have had zero accidents except once knocking down an animal that ran on to highway. So, I think I am a decent experienced driver.

If you're looking to assess the drive, you're going to love it so I don't think a test is needed.

If you're looking to assess the comfort, quietness, and materials, I'd recommend it.

Of course you also have the 7 day return policy.
I did not even think of return. I am thinking if it is helpful to do a test drive rather than driving the car right after delivery. I little test drive will not make me used to the new things so not sure if that will help.

Let me put the question differently, if you were to drive the Tesla for the first time after the contactless delivery, would you have reached home easily? Especially if you have years of driving on diesel.

I didn't test drive when I got my first Tesla last year. I didn't test drive when I got my second one last month either.
The first time driving my Tesla was so refreshing that I will never forget it.
And the first time I stomped on the go pedal on LR AWD, I had a big grin.
And every time I stomp on it after getting the boost, endorphin flows through my veins.

Find an open road.

Last edited:
I did not even think of return. I am thinking if it is helpful to do a test drive rather than driving the car right after delivery. I little test drive will not make me used to the new things so not sure if that will help.

Let me put the question differently, if you were to drive the Tesla for the first time after the contactless delivery, would you have reached home easily? Especially if you have years of driving on diesel.

If the question is, will I be able to drive this car safely home, or is it too different, yes you will be able to get home safely, BUT I would recommend a couple of changes to the settings to make it more like a "regular car" to get home.

(Note: All recommendations are "for the drive home in my new car" and are not ment to imply you should leave it that way. These settings will get you closer to mimicing a regular ICE vehicle, but consider changing them after you get used to the car, however long that takes... probably a couple days)

1. Turn on Chill mode acceleration, because the car will accelerate a lot more quickly than you are used to. Turning this one turns down the amount of acceleration the car will make with pressing the pedal, so will feel more like you are used to.

Settings (car icon on bottom of screen) --Driving --Acceleration -- Change to CHILL

2. Turn Steering mode to Comfort (optional). If the car you are coming from has "soft / loose steering", turning steering mode to comfort introduces a bit more feeling of play into the steering (making it more like you might be used to).

Settings --Driving --Comfort (will default to standard I believe)

3.Turn regenerative braking to low. Regen braking can be a bit disconcerting to new owners, until they get used to the feel. I dont think you would have much problem with this, as long as you think of it like "downshifting to a lower gear on my motorcycle or manual transmission car". If you have been driving a "stick" then you can likely leave this on standard. If you havent, set to low for your drive home.

Settings -- Driving -- Regenerative braking -- set to low (recommended if you are used to automatic transmission, optional if you are used to manual transmission)

4. Set stopping mode to creep - "Creep" as a stopping mode will allow the car to roll forward when you take your foot off the brake, just like an ICE car. Normal settings of "roll" mean you have to put your foot on the accelerator to move the car, vs taking foot off the brake for the car to inch forward. I highly recommend changing this to creep for your drive home, to feel more "normal" to you. This is one you can consider what works best for you after you get used to it, but for new owners I recommend creep mode because it will feel familiar

Settings -- Driving mode -- Creep

Those changes should allow you to feel pretty comfortable driving home.

Now, if the question is , "should I test drive the car to determine if I am comfortable in it, etc. I would recommend it, at least as far as how the seats feel, etc. You have the return policy if you dont like it, and most people do. You get used to the screen as interface pretty quickly in most cases.

Good luck, and pre welcome aboard!

If the question is, will I be able to drive this car safely home, or is it too different, yes you will be able to get home safely, BUT I would recommend a couple of changes to the settings to make it more like a "regular car" to get home.

(Note: All recommendations are "for the drive home in my new car" and are not ment to imply you should leave it that way. These settings will get you closer to mimicing a regular ICE vehicle, but consider changing them after you get used to the car, however long that takes... probably a couple days)

1. Turn on Chill mode acceleration, because the car will accelerate a lot more quickly than you are used to. Turning this one turns down the amount of acceleration the car will make with pressing the pedal, so will feel more like you are used to.

Settings (car icon on bottom of screen) --Driving --Acceleration -- Change to CHILL

2. Turn Steering mode to Comfort (optional). If the car you are coming from has "soft / loose steering", turning steering mode to comfort introduces a bit more feeling of play into the steering (making it more like you might be used to).

3.Turn regenerative braking to low. Regen braking can be a bit disconcerting to new owners, until they get used to the feel. I dont think you would have much problem with this, as long as you think of it like "downshifting to a lower gear on my motorcycle or manual transmission car". If you have been driving a "stick" then you can likely leave this on standard. If you havent, set to low for your drive home.

Settings -- Driving -- Regenerative braking -- set to low (recommended if you are used to automatic transmission, optional if you are used to manual transmission)

4. Set stopping mode to creep - "Creep" as a stopping mode will allow the car to roll forward when you take your foot off the brake, just like an ICE car. Normal settings of "roll" mean you have to put your foot on the accelerator to move the car, vs taking foot off the brake for the car to inch forward. I highly recommend changing this to creep for your drive home, to feel more "normal" to you. This is one you can consider what works best for you after you get used to it, but for new owners I recommend creep mode because it will feel familiar

Now, if the question is , "should I test drive the car to determine if I am comfortable in it, etc. I would recommend it, at least as far as how the seats feel, etc. You have the return policy if you dont like it, and most people do. You get used to the screen as interface pretty quickly in most cases.

Also read the owners manual before you take delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl

This. Nailed it. Thanks a lot. I have been driving manual transmission but I will still reduce regenerative.

Yes. Assuming you can get the car into drive or reverse, the rest is just like any car except for the regen braking. It feels very much like down-shifting a manual transmission and releasing the clutch. I have owned many stick shift cars and the regen allows you to drive the car hard and slow down quickly for sharp turns. My first time driving a Tesla was when I picked it up. If you are concerned there are lots of videos on Youtube that you can watch.

I took a joy ride when I went up to a stranger in a Model 3 and said, "I love your car. I had been thinking of getting one." He said, "Hop in."

After a 15 minute ride, my wife and I went to a local restaurant where I placed my order on my cellphone app.

Had to fly to Tampa, Florida to take delivery last March because everything was shutting down. My ride home was all the way back to South Carolina. After 45 minutes on the road, had a complete handle on how the car handled, the regenerative braking, etc. By the time I got home after stopping at a couple of Superchargers, I told my wife she definitely needed to get one.

No regrets whatsoever. It's not a chore to "get used to the car." It's an absolute thrill. And with each new upgrade, I relive the whole discovery experience all over again. I've kept my Porsche, but it's no longer the fun ride it once was.

Your Tesla will spoil you and thrill you. Expect that. Embrace that. Enjoy that.

This. Nailed it. Thanks a lot. I have been driving manual transmission but I will still reduce regenerative.

Yepp, that's about the best summary you're gonna get here. Since you're used to manual I really think you'd be fine with the standard regen setting though.

Regarding going from 2 to 4 wheel drive, it depends. The AWD Model 3 is pretty much a RWD car (it doesn't use the front motor much at all during normal driving, only for strong acceleration). If you're used to RWD, it drives like that (but with good traction control). If you're used to FWD, it'll be different for sure in adverse conditions. Use Chill mode in Winter (it not only limits max torque, but smooths it out and delays it).

• Helpful
As to your comment: "I have been driving manual transmission but I will still reduce regenerative."

I don't think that's necessary. It takes no time to get used to regenerative braking. It quickly becomes very intuitive, and I mean in a matter of minutes, not hours.

The friends I've let drive the car figure it out in the first block or two, and the rest of the drive is nothing but grins.

Reactions: Tron 3
As to your comment: "I have been driving manual transmission but I will still reduce regenerative."

I don't think that's necessary. It takes no time to get used to regenerative braking. It quickly becomes very intuitive, and I mean in a matter of minutes, not hours.

The friends I've let drive the car figure it out in the first block or two, and the rest of the drive is nothing but grins.

The regen is actually one of the best aspects of the driving experience. You'll feel like ICE cars are so backwards when you get used to the regen which takes 10 min to get used to.

OP great decision.

Drive your Model 3 for a week, you will never again will want to drive an ICE as long as you live.
None of the current offerings come even close for efficiency, range, power to weight, and tech superiority.
Add the SuperCharger network and you are a free man coast to coast.
If you are an IKEA minimalist design fan, this type of car will also appeal to you.

As for me, being an old timer, I am still thinking about the 911 4S 7MT from time to time, but absolutely
no smoker for a daily driver.

Last edited:
So, my car will be delivered mid next month. Forget test drive, I have not even seen one from close. I did read a lot about the car online though. I understand that immediate accelerator feedback and regenerative braking will be something to get used to. However, coming from a 2 wheel drive 1.4 L Diesel engine , Tesla could be a big surprise.

Coming to the question, do you think I should opt for a test drive? With this COVID situation and contactless test drive, it may be same as watch videos and learn on the fly experience. Only benefit I see is that they would explain all the options which come with the car since that will be something to learn. Also, should I be worried moving from 2 to 4 wheel drive?

I have been driving cars for about 12 years and motorcycles for 20 (I think). I have had zero accidents except once knocking down an animal that ran on to highway. So, I think I am a decent experienced driver.

I just test drove two Model Y's yesterday. Just bring some hand sanitizer or wet wipes.

But if you do test drive a Tesla now you'll be craving it until yours gets delivered so maybe it's best to wait to retain your sanity!

Dont know anyone who doesn't at least love driving their Tesla, love being the bare minimum.

I had never been in a Tesla before I got into mine, coming from a Prius. I agree with everyone who says that you'll become comfortable driving within minutes.
However, I suggest definitely reading the manual, and watching the videos on the Tesla website about how to put into various gears (park, reverse, drive) and to see what you need to do to (for example) put on the hazard lights, turn on the windshield wipers, and open the doors (from inside and outside).
Welcome to the club - it's a hell of a ride.
Oh, and one last thing - search "Acceleration boost" - you'll thank me later :)

• Helpful

My answer is ... most likely you'll have no problems. Before you drive, take time adjusting controls:
1) mirrors/wheel/seat
2) In Drive settings set regeneration to low because you'll likely need time to adapt to one-foot driving. (THIS IT IMPORTANT)
3) In Drive you can set stopping mode to creep if you what your "normal" car feel, or "hold" to let your foot off of the brake pedal at stops.
4) If it rains, make sure you figure out how to operate wipes. Lights are pretty good on Auto mode and they shouldn't be any problem.
5) Model 3 accelerator pedal is perfect (to me), but if you are afraid about acceleration, turn Chill mode (in Drive settings) on.

My first impression of driving Model 3 was that I am sitting very close to the road because the front of the car is very low and short compared to ICE cars. This might be the case when you motorcycle experience comes in handy.
Also, do NOT accelerate without having enough space in front of you, it accelerates quietly and very fast, so you may not realize quick enough that in a couple seconds you are driving already 100 km/h instead of 50 km/h.

Also, Drive and Reverse gear selection with MB-like stick is pretty much straightforward, BUT if you need to switch your car in Neutral for any reason, please please read the manual and watch the videos first and then try it before you really need it.

Good luck!

• Informative