Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon-To-Be Roadster Owner in 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This makes sense Jimmy, good call!

Just some additional food for thought... I also struggled with this decision when I purchased my roadster, but have decided to stick with the UMC for now. I'm really hoping the 3.0 upgrade will switch the charging port over to the Model S style connector, so we can use the very common and quite affordable HPWC for the Model S. So I'm waiting to spend a bunch on charging solution until we know those details.

I'm really hoping the 3.0 upgrade will switch the charging port over to the Model S style connector, so we can use the very common and quite affordable HPWC for the Model S. So I'm waiting to spend a bunch on charging solution until we know those details.

Tesla's official blog post about the Roadster 3.0 "upgrades" is very specific, and makes no mention of any changes to the charging port. So that's not going to happen.

See Roadster 3.0 | Tesla Motors

If you want to use a Model S HPWC to charge your Roadster, the solution is to buy one of Henry Sharp's CAN SR adaptors. By all reports it is a great product. See Model S to Roadster adapter - Page 35

Well, the blog post speaks to how they will achieve the 400 mile range upgrade...we know there is / are a Roadster(s) in California with a Model S charge port...although it might not have anything to do with gaining extra range, it might be something offered by Tesla at later date...I agree not likely, but I'm not going to say "never" on this yet ... :biggrin:

Tesla's official blog post about the Roadster 3.0 "upgrades" is very specific, and makes no mention of any changes to the charging port. So that's not going to happen.

See Roadster 3.0 | Tesla Motors

If you want to use a Model S HPWC to charge your Roadster, the solution is to buy one of Henry Sharp's CAN SR adaptors. By all reports it is a great product. See Model S to Roadster adapter - Page 35

I'll bet you a beer (and I'm in San Mateo a lot lol) there will be minor other modifications that were not outlined in the blog post. They highlighted the range aspects of the upgrade, but little things like a charging port conversion would be cheap for Tesla and would go a long way for marketing and customer satisfaction. We also don't know whether other aspects of the car will be brought up to "3.0" if the car didn't start life as a 2.5. Double Din, etc.

My guess is as good as the next guy, but I just have a feeling there's more than just the few items that were outlined. They'll need to tempt those of us who are perfectly happy with the current range of the car.

As for the HPWC, the only reason I'd want to use it is because it's actually available to purchase and wouldn't need an adapter in the 3.0 upgrade case I hope for. I was using my CAN JR with my J1772 in the garage prior to my 14-50 outlet being installed for the UMC (holy crap that was a lot of jargon for one sentence), and it was more of a pain than I'd like to deal with at home. Charging occasionally in public, sure. But at home I'd rather use something with a native connector.

Last edited:
I'm with you on that, Jimmy. I'm still the guy hoping for that 2% chance Tesla will offer a retrofit for Roadsters including a smaller, but same-amount-of -functionality touch screen like in the Model S. A man can dream, yeah?!

Jimmy, you're on for that bet. The idea that a Roadster upgrade that is all about extending the range of the car ON A SINGLE CHARGE would include modifying the charge port to be the same as a Model S port makes no sense to me. That kind of mod would do nothing to make the Roadster cover more miles on a charge.

It would of course make it somewhat easier to charge a Roadster on long trips. But Henry's CAN SR adaptor can do that right now. Why should Tesla spend any engineering time at all on such a mod?

@DeedWest, sorry but I think you are living in a fantasy land. tesla won't be doing what you describe. Though I would love it if they did.

I may not have articulated what I was trying to say very well. I wasn't claiming that the charge port conversion does anything for the range of the car, rather that I suspect it's one of the low hanging fruits Tesla could throw into a "3.0 Upgrade" to make it more polished for not much $$$. In fact it may save them some money and hassle, since it seems like everything charging-related for the roadster is mega bucks and tough to source.

I'm with you on that, Jimmy. I'm still the guy hoping for that 2% chance Tesla will offer a retrofit for Roadsters including a smaller, but same-amount-of -functionality touch screen like in the Model S. A man can dream, yeah?!

I believe that the "vaporware" that is the Detroit Electric SP:01 has one of those.

Detroit-Electric-SP01-interior-Left-hand-drive.jpg

I'll bet you a beer (and I'm in San Mateo a lot lol) there will be minor other modifications that were not outlined in the blog post. They highlighted the range aspects of the upgrade, but little things like a charging port conversion would be cheap for Tesla and would go a long way for marketing and customer satisfaction.

Can I bet too? Changing the charge port would be a difficult and expensive modification. It would not be a "little thing" or "low hanging fruit." There's much more involved in swapping that out than meets the eye.

I agree with you that there will probably be a few minor other modifications not yet mentioned, but very unlikely to be the charge port.

In any case I look forward to having that beer with you, no matter who buys it! :smile:

I've been debating this myself. I'd like to have a wall connector, right now I use my UMC, with a small fan to try and keep it cool in the hope this will prolong it's life. Mr. Musk also mentions there will be future upgrades beyond the 3.0 as well, maybe changing the charge port will be one of those. What to do? Maybe someone in Tesla will tell us one day soon!