Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon-to-be Tesla owner (1st time) – home-charging questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In late November, I put in an order for a Model Y Long Range and am really excited about getting it. And even more excited now that we have seen it is the flesh (display model in London Westfield). But I have a number of questions about home chargers.

I am lucky enough to have a three-phase electricity supply at home (but it is not particularly well located in relation to where the car will be parked overnight). Given that the Model Y has a charge rate capped at 11kW, it seems that there isn’t a huge advantage over a single-phase 7.4kW charge.

Q1: Is there any likelihood of this 11kW cap being raised? Is it a software thing (i.e. an OTA update could change it) or a hardware thing (i.e. it is hard-baked into the car)? If the charge rate was raised to 22kW, the benefit would be more noticeable.

As I mentioned, the three-phase supply it not brilliantly located. The tethered cable on every charger is too short. I reckon I need 11m minimum.

Q2: Am I able (or is it safe) to add an extension cable (say, 5m long) to the end of the cable? And, if so, can that extension cable be left attached when not in use?

The alternative is to go for a single-phase 7.4kW charge, which will allow much more flexibility on location.

Q3: My ideal spot is on a part of the house which is brick construction but is weather-boarded from about two feet upwards. I have a feeling that a charger can only be attached to brick/stone/render and that it is against regulations to attach it to wood. Is that right?

Finally Q4, which brand of charger? I like the look of the Tesla Wall Connector but it is expensive (esp given that it doesn’t qualify for the OZEV/EVHS grant). However, if I go down the three-phase route, it looks as though it might be the cheapest option.

As an alternative, the Ohme charger appears to be a good option. But it looks as though I am unlikely to get anything installed before 31st March so I’ll miss out on the OZEV/EVHS grant.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

The 11kw charge rate is hardware limited in the MY and M3, it can't be software updated.

You can buy many different lengths of EV charge cables, either tethered or not. Best to just choose the right length you need and use that to help decide which charge point. I've seen 25m type 2 charge cables.

They can be installed on a wooden wall, nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: init6
On 7.4kWh you can pretty much fill your car from 0-100% in ten hours. Day to day, it's more likely you're going to charge between 10 and 90% - eight hours charge.

If that sounds reasonable for how you're going to use the car, I'd stick with the simplicity, convenience and cost of the single phase install.

Reactions: Wol747 and init6
Are there likely to be more EVs in your household in the future? I also have a three phase supply and I had a 22KW Andersen installed. We have four EVs in our household. Two of them are Zoes which can charge at 22KW - a huge advantage. We are all high mileage drivers, so the only alternative would have been to install two or even three 7kw chargers.

Although your MY will be limited to 11KW you may want to future proof if circumstances demand. If you’ve got a three phase supply it seems a shame not to take advantage of it.

people have answered most of your questions but just for the rest.
No you can't have an extension lead for a charger but as others have said you can fit a longer cable.
sounds like you care about aesthetics in which case maybe check out the Anderson A2 its the best looking charger but not sure the built in cable storage will take an 11m cable if you go that route. https://andersen-ev.com/products/andersen-a2/. It is expensive though.
Personally I got a cheap charger and a cabinet to hide everything which works for me.

people have answered most of your questions but just for the rest.
No you can't have an extension lead for a charger but as others have said you can fit a longer cable.
sounds like you care about aesthetics in which case maybe check out the Anderson A2 its the best looking charger but not sure the built in cable storage will take an 11m cable if you go that route. https://andersen-ev.com/products/andersen-a2/. It is expensive though.
Personally I got a cheap charger and a cabinet to hide everything which works for me.
Thanks for this. When you say that I can fit a longer cable, are you saying that I have to go with a untethered charger and buy a long cable, or can I get a tethered charger rewired with a longer cable?
I only care about aesthetics to a degree. As long as it isn't hideous bright green or blue, I'm not particularly fussed. The Andersons look beautiful but, as you say, they are expensive!
The reason I mentioned the Ohme charger is that it appears to be quite well integrated with Octopus Energy. It seems to me that Octopus are the best supplier for EV owners.

I am lucky enough to have a three-phase electricity supply at home (but it is not particularly well located in relation to where the car will be parked overnight). Given that the Model Y has a charge rate capped at 11kW, it seems that there isn’t a huge advantage over a single-phase 7.4kW charge.

There can be a significant advantage even at 11kW. The reason is that most EV cheap rate charging options are limited to 4 hours or so. So within that time at 7kW you can add 7X4= 28kWh ... or with 3 phase 11X4= 44kWh which is a useful increase for many people. Of course many people find that adding 40% approximately in one evening (single phase rate on a Model 3 LR) is quite enough but if you are expecting to frequently need more than that it's worth considering.

Thanks for this. When you say that I can fit a longer cable, are you saying that I have to go with a untethered charger and buy a long cable, or can I get a tethered charger rewired with a longer cable?
I only care about aesthetics to a degree. As long as it isn't hideous bright green or blue, I'm not particularly fussed. The Andersons look beautiful but, as you say, they are expensive!
The reason I mentioned the Ohme charger is that it appears to be quite well integrated with Octopus Energy. It seems to me that Octopus are the best supplier for EV owners.
Most suppliers offer a range of tethered cable lengths when you buy the charger but I am not sure anyone offers one as long as you need as standard but as you can imagine cables get damaged so they are replaceable. Ideally by a qualified electrician. they are not cheap though about £200 for the length you want:

The supplied one would have some second hand value though.

Edit
you could even get one with the built in button for opening the charge port on a Tesla which would be very handy but even more ££

How many miles do you typically drive in a day? Is charging at work at option? Is there a supercharger nearby? If you don't drive many miles even a 110 Volt charger will do, especially if you have backup like work charging or supercharger. If you do need 220V at home I would contact an electrician or make arrangements to get charging source closer to the vehicle.