Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to get my beloved P85D - now road trip plans... suggestions welcome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I live in Melbourne/Victoria, and soon hopefully middle of October I will have gotten my P85D, unfortunately L mode is not here yet, so will get that shortly after, BUT... I am taking a week of to celebrate :)

With that I absolutely love Tasmania and one of the thoughts I had was to drive around Tasmania. Any thoughts or ideas of a good 2-3 day "excursion"?

I will have Tim's aftermarket 3-phase charger with me as well as Tesla's UMC mobile kit and saw recently the posting on ABC's news website, Electric car tour of Tasmania unplugged for want of power - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It's either that, or a drive to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road, once again stopping at suitable sites along the way.

Any good/well travelled plans out there I could steel, beg and borrow... Of course wiling to swap beer etc. etc for juice :)

I guess I could head to Canberra without too much hassle soon as well given the networks of Superchargers that are spruiking up.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions welcome! It will be 15.5 years since I had bought my last new car. WOW.

Folks, I live in Melbourne/Victoria, and soon hopefully middle of October I will have gotten my P85D, unfortunately L mode is not here yet, so will get that shortly after, BUT... I am taking a week of to celebrate :)

With that I absolutely love Tasmania and one of the thoughts I had was to drive around Tasmania. Any thoughts or ideas of a good 2-3 day "excursion"?

I will have Tim's aftermarket 3-phase charger with me as well as Tesla's UMC mobile kit and saw recently the posting on ABC's news website, Electric car tour of Tasmania unplugged for want of power - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It's either that, or a drive to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road, once again stopping at suitable sites along the way.

Any good/well travelled plans out there I could steel, beg and borrow... Of course wiling to swap beer etc. etc for juice :)

I guess I could head to Canberra without too much hassle soon as well given the networks of Superchargers that are spruiking up.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions welcome! It will be 15.5 years since I had bought my last new car. WOW.

Hey cdfleischmann, as soon as I get my HPWC hooked up, your are welcome to some juice in Portland, Vic.

Just received our P85D last week. You will not regret it.

Just got my HPWC installed this afternoon. Just in time as I head off to Melbourne tomorrow to pickup my Tesla. PM me for details when you would like some juice down this way.
Sparky told me that the Richmond Henty Hotel in Portland is installing 2 destination chargers, so that will be good. They hope to link up with the Great Ocean Road traffic.
I tried to add to Plugshare but can't with desktop pc as my smartphone is out of action at the moment.

Tesla HPWC 1.jpg

Just got my HPWC installed this afternoon. Just in time as I head off to Melbourne tomorrow to pickup my Tesla. PM me for details when you would like some juice down this way.
Sparky told me that the Richmond Henty Hotel in Portland is installing 2 destination chargers, so that will be good. They hope to link up with the Great Ocean Road traffic.
I tried to add to Plugshare but can't with desktop pc as my smartphone is out of action at the moment.

View attachment 95886

Thanks Brewster, I hope to get my car in about 2 weeks... OMG I cant wait.

I am thinking of doing the following trip:

Northcote to Euroa
Euroa to Wangaratta
Up to Aubury
Then head down to Metung, should reach there with 25% left.
Then "recharge", I have the aftermarket charger from Tim that I was planning on using
Then repeat and head home.

EV Trip Planner says 15-20 minutes at each supercharger should cover it.

Anyone else done a similar trip?

Nice Wall mount by the way!

I'll call when I'm in Geelong if that's okay. Thanks wpapua. I'll probably leave around 9-10am from Aspendale Gardens. Can you pm me your address?

So how's the new car going? Now that you have tried a few times with Insane mode... what are your thoughts on pushing Ludicrous mode? I'll still get it when it comes to Australia, but thoughts now that you have "launched" a few times...?

I hope I am getting my car by Friday next week... Yay, still can't wait.

Chris

So how's the new car going? Now that you have tried a few times with Insane mode... what are your thoughts on pushing Ludicrous mode? I'll still get it when it comes to Australia, but thoughts now that you have "launched" a few times...?

I hope I am getting my car by Friday next week... Yay, still can't wait.

Chris

I'm unlikely to go ludicrous, however, I am going to the local race track this weekend coming. It's really as an opportunity to show the electric car to the other car enthusiasts ..... hmmmm, undecided on ludicrous.
I'm super happy with the car, the silence (I've named my S 'Serenity' after all), the smooooth pickup when needed for passing (or terrifyingly quick for passing), the economical driving, the convenience of home charging, the cornering lights, the folding mirrors (really need those to get in my standard width roller door), I could go on.

I was totally surprised at the economy from Richmond Supercharger to Colac. As you can see by the pic, quite remarkable, and I didn't compromise on the speed. Same driving as I normally have done with my other cars. The newness of the battery, temperature, sunny, lack of head wind, all contributed I guess.

024a.jpg

I keep getting asked by a relative, 'Are you sure you don't have to do any running-in of the transmission before doing any insane launches'. I haven't found anywhere in the literature that this is a requirement. Anyone help here??

I'm unlikely to go ludicrous, however, I am going to the local race track this weekend coming. It's really as an opportunity to show the electric car to the other car enthusiasts ..... hmmmm, undecided on ludicrous.
I'm super happy with the car, the silence (I've named my S 'Serenity' after all), the smooooth pickup when needed for passing (or terrifyingly quick for passing), the economical driving, the convenience of home charging, the cornering lights, the folding mirrors (really need those to get in my standard width roller door), I could go on.

I was totally surprised at the economy from Richmond Supercharger to Colac. As you can see by the pic, quite remarkable, and I didn't compromise on the speed. Same driving as I normally have done with my other cars. The newness of the battery, temperature, sunny, lack of head wind, all contributed I guess.

View attachment 96912

I keep getting asked by a relative, 'Are you sure you don't have to do any running-in of the transmission before doing any insane launches'. I haven't found anywhere in the literature that this is a requirement. Anyone help here??

I can't wait... Although I am stupid enough and young enough to do Lubricious mode anyway. Besides, I paid for custom plates, "P85DL" so I better get L right :)

I also paid for another number plate, I (HEART) QUIET ... SO I can't wait to zoom past those other ICE based cars as they read my number plate.

Regarding the Tassie adventure - since that review, MONA (Berriedale, northern suburbs of Hobart) has officially been added as a destination charger on Tesla's map - so you should be able to top up there.

The reviewer also tried to go from Devonport to Hobart (300km in one day), charge using a normal power socket (10A or maybe 15A) overnight, then drive back up to Devonport in the same day. If you set yourself a more practical schedule (driving the Bass/Midland Highways twice in two days isn't the most exciting tourist experience!) and wanted to pace yourself you could enquire at some of the higher end hotels/resorts which are spaced around the state. From Devonport you could follow a route to Cradle Mountain (88km), then on to Strahan (147km) then on to Lake St Clair (131km). At that point you can either head back up to Devonport (180km) or make the jump down to Hobart (178km). All three of those sites have high-end accommodation (Cradle Mountain Lodge, Strahan Village and Pumphouse Point respectively) which, even if they cannot specifically accommodate EVs, I expect will do their best to help. Note that the roads in this part of the state are quite mountainous and windy, which will affect your range. The B11 road (short one near Miena) is gravel, at least it was when I last travelled on it over 10 years ago.

sRlvYv7.png

Regarding the Tassie adventure - since that review, MONA (Berriedale, northern suburbs of Hobart) has officially been added as a destination charger on Tesla's map - so you should be able to top up there.

The reviewer also tried to go from Devonport to Hobart (300km in one day), charge using a normal power socket (10A or maybe 15A) overnight, then drive back up to Devonport in the same day. If you set yourself a more practical schedule (driving the Bass/Midland Highways twice in two days isn't the most exciting tourist experience!) and wanted to pace yourself you could enquire at some of the higher end hotels/resorts which are spaced around the state. From Devonport you could follow a route to Cradle Mountain (88km), then on to Strahan (147km) then on to Lake St Clair (131km). At that point you can either head back up to Devonport (180km) or make the jump down to Hobart (178km). All three of those sites have high-end accommodation (Cradle Mountain Lodge, Strahan Village and Pumphouse Point respectively) which, even if they cannot specifically accommodate EVs, I expect will do their best to help. Note that the roads in this part of the state are quite mountainous and windy, which will affect your range. The B11 road (short one near Miena) is gravel, at least it was when I last travelled on it over 10 years ago.

View attachment 97065

Great info Chuq.
What % charge would be recommended when leaving Melbourne? 90% for the overnight or day trip?
Cradle & Strahan are beautiful with much on offer, from my limited experience. We did enjoy Arthur River on our last visit.

Great info Chuq.
What % charge would be recommended when leaving Melbourne? 90% for the overnight or day trip?
Cradle & Strahan are beautiful with much on offer, from my limited experience. We did enjoy Arthur River on our last visit.

I guess it would all depend on which of the hotels listed can provide power. I understand a standard 10A socket can get you around 100km of range overnight? In which case you should only be losing about 50km of range each day (perhaps more due to the mountainous terrain). Still, in this part of the world you would want to have a contingency plan if one of the hotels can't provide you with electrons!

I guess it would all depend on which of the hotels listed can provide power. I understand a standard 10A socket can get you around 100km of range overnight? In which case you should only be losing about 50km of range each day (perhaps more due to the mountainous terrain). Still, in this part of the world you would want to have a contingency plan if one of the hotels can't provide you with electrons!

Would be interested to know if this works myself... I have taken a week off in the hope to take my new baby for many drives in my new Tesla.