Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to graduate from University... thinking about getting a Model S...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are so many jealous haters out there. couple that with a brutal recession, and yes... everyone should stay on the down low. a 22-year old kid rolling up to his entry level job in a $100k luxury car is about as excruciatingly awkward and tone-deaf as it gets..

I'm only 25, but I'm doing great at work. I live on less than half my after tax income and have saved enough to cover 70% of the car without wiping out my savings. I realize cars are just throwing money away and I realize there are more responsible things I could be doing with what I've saved, but at the very least, I am not digging myself into a hole.

I am very nervous about driving such a nice car (excruciatingly awkward one-deaf as it gets, you say?) and realize everyone's going to assume I'm deep in debt to have it.

All that said, this is what I want and what I want to do. I can only hope for the best when it comes to what others think. There's no turning back now: my delivery is at the end of next week.

there are so many jealous haters out there. couple that with a brutal recession, and yes... everyone should stay on the down low.

Except for my golf buddies. They've been brutalizing me horribly for a long time for driving a Prius. I just smiled and told them it was the coolest car available. Now it's my turn to beat them over the head with the Car of the Year. Other than that; down low. It's a golf buddy thing. I'm giving myself a pass.:smile:

I'm only 25, but I'm doing great at work. I live on less than half my after tax income and have saved enough to cover 70% of the car without wiping out my savings. I realize cars are just throwing money away and I realize there are more responsible things I could be doing with what I've saved, but at the very least, I am not digging myself into a hole.

I am very nervous about driving such a nice car (excruciatingly awkward one-deaf as it gets, you say?) and realize everyone's going to assume I'm deep in debt to have it.

All that said, this is what I want and what I want to do. I can only hope for the best when it comes to what others think. There's no turning back now: my delivery is at the end of next week.

Congrats. What model and how have your family and friends reacted to you purchasing the car at 25? (I am assuming you're not a trust fund recipient)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats. What model and how have your family and friends reacted to you purchasing the car at 25? (I am assuming you're not a trust fund recipient)

Thanks. Performance, and no, I was given an education but earned the rest myself. I suppose I was also given my work ethic. I am usually the first to the office and the last to leave. Hard work comes naturally and it's easy because I enjoy what I do (most days).

Actually congrats is exactly what my sr manager told me when I let it slip. And my manager was excited at the thought of getting me out to the track with him. So far everyone has been excited.

Actually congrats is exactly what my sr manager told me when I let it slip. And my manager was excited at the thought of getting me out to the track with him. So far everyone has been excited.

Congrats! It's still a big purchase but you've obviously done your research, saved and made the financials work for you. Now all you have to do is wait for it to arrive.

Bluntly, the longer you can reasonably put off buying a car, the longer you should do so. When you go "Dammit, I really need a new car!", then go ahead and do what it takes to buy whatever model Tesla is selling at that time.

That's what I did. By the time the car I was driving got to the age of 8 years, it was beginning to completely flake out, so it was very good that I received the model S now. But if you can hold on for a year without having to make expensive car repairs on your current car, do so.

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it. Yong person driving expensive car just does not look right unless you are a pop star, really run your own successful business, inherited tons of money or something like that. Otherwise in the eyes of other people (that includes your boss or *decent* girl) you'll look irresponsible and unable to manage money. Worse still, you may get people thinking about what is you do after hours... No matter what your actual financial situation is, people have some stereotypes. Most people would expect young working person to think about saving, funding 401(k) and getting first house or trying to start own business.

As for 911 parked at apartment complex - I have a friend who did exactly that for a few months. He was separated and in process of getting divorced and hadn't find himself any new place yet.

My First (and likely only) Post on TMC (Please Read)

I don't get into forums because it takes up too much time and is either too polarizing or much of a cult. I only check this site to get updates on the delivery of my vehicle. Nevertheless, after reading this post, I felt the need to provide the observations of an outsider.

Let me begin by saying I am reservation holder 69XX, which means I reserved in January 2012. When I got my time to finalize email in October, I decided to get 40kwh, black, grey leather, pano, tech package, and armor. You know how much that costs? $71K before tax credits.

I lost it when I read about this college student who does not even have a job complain about not being able to get the performance edition. He had the nerve to say he would consider "settling" for the 40kwh. On top of that, he expects to be making $70-80K when he comes out. I'm an attorney who makes six figures, and my 40kwh is still a stretch for me.

That post is representative of the majority of members of this group. The 40kwh Tesla is still a Tesla. It costs more than an entry-level Porsche or Jaguar. When people ask if I have received my car, they do not care about the battery size; they are just excited to know someone who owns a Tesla.

Moreover, the 40kwh Model S still surpasses anything else on the market with regard to range. People who complain about Tesla's range obviously are purchasing a nice-looking car as opposed to purchasing an electric vehicle breakthrough (that's why I have so much respect for Leaf owners). Tesla's must be charged every night, so 40kwh is more than sufficient for daily commutes.

I also am tired of hearing people complain about wait times. It took over 8 months to get my finalize email. I have no sympathy for someone BEHIND me in line who has been delayed.

I grew up in a middle-class home, but was not born with a silver spoon. I know what it means to be grateful. I am 28 and getting a Model S; it does not matter which model or if I get it a few months after people behind me in line. Some of you, dare I say the majority, are clueless as to how good you have it.

I also am tired of hearing people complain about wait times. It took over 8 months to get my finalize email. I have no sympathy for someone BEHIND me in line who has been delayed.

heh, imagine how those of us who waited 3 years feel about folks waiting 6 months complaining (or telling us not to complain).

In the end though, many of us are in different circumstances, and we all probably can stand to take some time to step back and realize what is or isn't important. At the same time, we can't put every detail of our lives in the context of someone who is in a less fortunate situation.

I don't get into forums because it takes up too much time and is either too polarizing or much of a cult. I only check this site to get updates on the delivery of my vehicle. Nevertheless, after reading this post, I felt the need to provide the observations of an outsider.

Let me begin by saying I am reservation holder 69XX, which means I reserved in January 2012. When I got my time to finalize email in October, I decided to get 40kwh, black, grey leather, pano, tech package, and armor. You know how much that costs? $71K before tax credits.

I lost it when I read about this college student who does not even have a job complain about not being able to get the performance edition. He had the nerve to say he would consider "settling" for the 40kwh. On top of that, he expects to be making $70-80K when he comes out. I'm an attorney who makes six figures, and my 40kwh is still a stretch for me.

That post is representative of the majority of members of this group. The 40kwh Tesla is still a Tesla. It costs more than an entry-level Porsche or Jaguar. When people ask if I have received my car, they do not care about the battery size; they are just excited to know someone who owns a Tesla.

Moreover, the 40kwh Model S still surpasses anything else on the market with regard to range. People who complain about Tesla's range obviously are purchasing a nice-looking car as opposed to purchasing an electric vehicle breakthrough (that's why I have so much respect for Leaf owners). Tesla's must be charged every night, so 40kwh is more than sufficient for daily commutes.

I grew up in a middle-class home, but was not born with a silver spoon. I know what it means to be grateful. I am 28 and getting a Model S; it does not matter which model or if I get it a few months after people behind me in line. Some of you, dare I say the majority, are clueless as to how good you have it.

careful... a few more "keepin it real" posts like this, and you'll be branded a troublemaker, given an avatar of some aggressive dog, and be threatened regularly with being banned.

p.s. - i agree 1000%

Some good points yes. But, be careful about generalizing about the "majority" of folks on this forum.Most of the people here in my experience have worked hard for a long time to be able to afford this car. Most of them seem VERY grateful for the opportunity. I am old enough to be your father and have worked hard all my life. I am VERY grateful, and thankful for what I have.

Some good points yes. But, be careful about generalizing about the "majority" of folks on this forum.Most of the people here in my experience have worked hard for a long time to be able to afford this car. Most of them seem VERY grateful for the opportunity. I am old enough to be your father and have worked hard all my life. I am VERY grateful, and thankful for what I have.

You're far too polite. At the very least AJarrodJenkins owes this community an apology.

A. Jarrod Jenkins should know better than to attack the members of a message board when it's clear he knows little or nothing about the people here. He admitted that he visits TMC infrequently and for only one purpose: to get an idea on when his car may be delivered. Then he decides its OK to brag about his income while deriding us as a club of unrealistic college kids, when the reality is that most of the members here are middle aged or older professionals and entrepreneurs with a reasonable degree of success. This is not acceptable to me.

Just for you: The First World Problems Meme!

3symil.jpg

But seriously, I don't fully get the people who are like "there's no excuse to not get 85kwh! It's ONLY $20,000 more!"