Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I hope they either come to their senses (probably, with regulatory input) or viable alternatives come to the market.

BTW: Have you noticed that the half-wheel MS LR has lower range than the old, full-wheel MS LR? Why is it less efficient?

It worked just fine with the dedicated button - not only for control but also for indication. It is not impossible in V11; it is more complicated and I do not see the benefit of making it complicated - unless, for some reason, they want to discourage me from using it.
Exactly this.

I wouldn't mind a change in the UI if it made things easier, or safer, or better to use in general.

All of the changes in V11 I have seen so far have unnecessarily made things more complicated and less user-friendly.
The question is why?
Where is the benefit in any of these changes? There's not a single one. This update only changed things for the worse.

Not even the camera image now shown when signaling is an improvement as due to the lag between activating the turn signal and the image appearing it is basically useless.
It's like with the image of the moving car on the left hand side of the screen. All the things it shows are totally superfluous. By the time for example other vehicles or pedestrians appear on the screen (if at all) I have already long noticed them just by looking out of the window.

And since the "autopilot" feature I paid a lot of money extra for never has worked as advertised the whole idea of the car being able to self-drive is a pitiful joke. I mean, our e-Golf has way better lane keeping and auto-steer than my Model 3. Go figure.

It's readily available still. The interface is now less cluttered, and things are logically grouped together.
- the ’cluttered interface’ wasn’t a problem before, especially the row of buttons on the bottom. Adding blank space isn’t an improvement and is solving a problem that didn’t exist.
- The ‘logical grouping’ could have been done without otherwise altering the interface.
- I dispute ‘readily available.’ As @Boza said it was more readily available in V10.

By this logic, we should put the controls for our Honda Odyssey in the glovebox so we can have a less cluttered dashboard. They’d still be ‘readily available’ and we’d have all this gorgeous empty space on the dash that is so much better than an ugly button.

Is it possible that they had a number of branches for UI and when Elon pressed them to release the light show they just grabbed one and merged it? Is is possible that we are dealing with one of many mock ups that they just randomly selected before testing it, only to meet a deadline? And, in the next few months they will merge and release the “proper” UI?

It was more “readily available” in V10.

The fact that something critical is “still available” or “there is a voice command” does not mean that it is an improvement from a driver-centric, functionality point of view. If the objective is to have minimum number of buttons/icons on the main screen - may be they achieved something but, still, there are a number entertainment icons left. Why did they de-grouped them and grouped the functionality icons? That could be explained by an entertainment, rather than driver focus. Did we buy cars or game consoles?!

I remember reading similar complaints with the 20.48.x update. As for what's considered critical? That's subjective. For me, it was the wipers. They could have buried the defroster and heated seat icons under 5 menu layers, and I'd be fine. Without a fully customizable UI, there's really no way to satisfy a broad segment of the driver base.

Like the start menu in Windows, they made the car icon the focal point. Here's a pic of the old UI:

old-info.jpg

There were 5 items I never used: heated seats, defrosters and volume. And the climate controls were right of center requiring the driver to look further to the right. The windshield wiper icon required 3 steps to turn on and set the speed so it was just quicker to use the stalk.

The cam and viewer icons were tiny and easy to miss while driving and trying to save a video. And map window was smaller.

IMO, the biggest upside to the old UI was being able to keep the cards on the screen and since I checked the tire pressure once a week, I can easily live with where it is now. And don't get me started with the confusing music layout. Now, I hit one button (streaming) and all music sources and options that I use are in one place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezlowski
Critical controls are anything but subjective. The car is certified for all seasons, so both windshield wipers and defogger/defroster are critical systems (seat heaters are not).
This!

@john5520: since when does one need to constantly check tire pressure? Whenever I get my tires changed (summer tires around Easter, winter tires around October) they fill them up anyway. I once or twice stopped by a gas station in between to do a check on the pressures, but they had never lost any pressure at all, so that feature, while nice to have in some submenu, was never critical for me.
Same with the wipers. Since the "auto sensing" never works like it should with mine (another thing that was better in any other car I have ever driven, Tesla just can't get this to work no matter how often they tried to fix it), I always had to use the stalk in rain anyway, and then when the wiper tab appeared in the lower left area I just set the speed I needed there. Which by the way is the only thing that still works almost the same way in V11 on mine.

Therefore you are right, some things that might seem critical to one might seem superfluous to another.

The point is, the V10 version of the UI was neither cluttered nor in need for an update like this that made everything more complicated and functions that used to be directly accessible now hidden away or removed entirely (like the tabs on the lower left.

Reactions: Sporty
Fair enough. If I ever need the defrosters, they're 2 taps away.
Exactly, one tap more than necessary. Plus for the second tap you now have to look down to find the defogger or defroster or heated seat buttons among the now cluttered and complicated climate control mess.
Again, why? Why make something MORE COMPLICATED than it was? Where the heck is the improvement?

Just look at the screencap of the old UI you posted yourself. It's sleek, clean, and very easy to use intuitively. Everything vital is accessible with a single tap. Even if you don't need the seat heaters, or defroster or defogger, having the controls directly available doesn't take away anything.

Last edited:
Exactly, one tap more than necessary. Plus for the second tap you now have to look down to find the defogger or defroster or heated seat buttons among the now cluttered and complicated climate control mess.
Again, why? Why make something MORE COMPLICATED than it was? Where the heck is the improvement?

Just look at the screencap of the old UI you posted yourself. It's sleek, clean, and very easy to use intuitively. Everything vital is accessible with a single tap. Even if you don't need the seat heaters, or defroster or defogger, having the controls directly available doesn't take away anything.
Yes, but not everyone wanted or needed all those settings on the bottom bar. And it's a huge exaggeration to think 2 taps vs 1 is going to make any meaningful difference to a system that takes a lot longer than 2 seconds to do its job. Sure, the wipers were out front, but it still required more taps than the current setting, so where was the advantage? Also, the defrost icons were almost all the way to the right. How was that convenient? Most drivers would have to look to the bottom right to accurately select them.

Here's the smaller climate settings bar that comes up when tapping to the left or right of the temp icon:

Screenshot 2022-01-19 031825.jpg

There's no need to always launch the full climate settings window and the defrost buttons are pretty much at your fingertips. All it takes is a quick glance to the bottom and back to the road rather than glancing to the end of the screen for the old buttons.

Last edited:
The point is not that it takes longer for the defogger to work; the point is that it takes longer for the driver to activate it. Which means longer attention diversion from driving. Why make something critical for driving more difficult to access than something that you actually cannot even use while driving? The fact that _you_ never use it does not mean that large part of population use it a lot. By your logic the games should not only be more hidden but even removed - _I_ never use them.
Yes, ability to customize is the best solution but, absent that, why making the car more difficult to drive?