Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Press the wipe button at the end of the turn signal stalk to bring up wiper quick controls.

Flash or toggle high beams to bring up lighting quick controls.

I've found that tapping the wiper stalk with the left hand, switching hands on the wheel, then tapping a tiny wiper control button to be dicey. Hopefully the new larger buttons will work better.

My partner hates to use the touch screen while driving.

The lighting quick controls panel is good news.

My biggest issue is the wiper control. Here in Canada, driving in snow, freezing rain, and salt-mixed slush, you literally do not have the time to tap down with your left hand, then find a tiny button on a touch-screen and press on it with your right hand just to turn the damn auto-wiper mode off because it all of a sudden decided to go crazy and won't stop making the windshield totally blocked with salted slush and snow. It was hard before, now with this new UI it's a death trap. This is a ticking bomb for Tesla, one of these days someone in the cold climate countries will die because of this (I came very close a few times already), and Tesla will make news with negative publicity.

Really what they should have done is allow the right side of the screen to be divided in two sections. At the top you'd keep your navigation map, and at bottom you keep the Controls menu. That way you have quick access to essential buttons, like wipers, lights, seat warmers, .... All the stuff that were available in the previous UI.

Not sure why they won't do that, dividing the right-side into two windows should be easy.

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
With the lack of total wiper control on a stalk, my Model 3 has always been more diffficult to start wipers compared to all my previous cars…..totally agreed. Be that as it may, I think the new UI is easier than the old UI in this aspect. The quick menu that comes up when you touch the stalk is larger (I’m pretty sure?) than before, so should be easier to adjust. At the very least, it’s no worse than before.

I’m not sure I understand the problem?

Reactions: Big Earl
I just leave my setting on auto lights and auto high/low beam all the time, I don't think I've gone into the menu to turn on the lights once since I got the car in 2018? There's literally nothing required.
One of my other cars has auto lights and high beams (not a Tesla) and the only time that I ever used that setting in that car in 3 years was after a routine dealer service where the settings had changed due to the 12V battery being disconnected and reconnected.

I have a few hundred miles on the new UI and it’s fine. Most targets are larger, there are quick access menus for more functions, and the functions that people are howling about being “buried” are almost all readily available in the car menus, one additional tap away.

Overall, it’s cleaner, better organized and more intuitive. Sure, it could still use some tweaks; no big deal.

yeah I tend to agree....getting used to it very quickly. I like the direction they're going in. If I had two tweaks, I'd like:

1. More map screen (more cow bell?).....still bugs me that they made the map smaller last year, but whatever, I'm used to it. It's still a really large map.
2. More options for one button activations that we could pull into the "variable" part of the screen at the bottom, and increase this variable beyond 4 icons. This way less people will be bitching and moaning, everyone gets what's important to them.

For the life of me, i still can't understand all the complaining about the wipers. They weren't optimum from day one when I got the car, and certainly aren't worse with this update. I'm scratching my head wondering wtf am I missing here??

I just leave my setting on auto lights and auto high/low beam all the time, I don't think I've gone into the menu to turn on the lights once since I got the car in 2018? There's literally nothing required.

I leave it set to auto high beam but there are
* times when auto chooses low and I pull/hold the stalk to see far enough ahead,
* times when auto chooses high and I push the stalk to not irritate drivers ahead on a straight freeway,
* mist conditions where auto fails to turn on the headlights (have to use the touch screen),
* fog conditions (have to use the touch screen to turn on the fog lights).

Voice commands won't control fog lights and headlights.

My question was whether y'all push/pull the headlight stalk with a finger of one hand holding the steering wheel (similar to deftly tapping the end of the stalk), thus enabling the other hand to operate a temporary light control panel?

Model 3 is my favorite car but was it designed for video gamers? Gamers with the visual acuity to read low contrast small text and not mind the backup camera and sentry viewer scaled down 2/3.

last year a large majority hated the christmas update and now they all seem to prefer it over this years update, my guess is next year they will be telling us how much more they prefer this update......it seems we just get used to things and don't like change. I love the new UI with the FSD beta.
great! however the vast majority of drivers don't have the FSD beta, and for them this update is yes, an even bigger regression compared to last year. people were hoping that this year's update would fix some of the issues introduced last year, like the giant visualization that's useless for anyone who doesn't have FSD, and instead it has doubled down on removing manual controls.

oh and not that you should ever listen to anything Elon says, but he did "promise" that they would provide a way to control the size of the sidebar. I guess that's too complicated for them to design in a year though.
yeah I tend to agree....getting used to it very quickly. I like the direction they're going in. If I had two tweaks, I'd like:

1. More map screen (more cow bell?).....still bugs me that they made the map smaller last year, but whatever, I'm used to it. It's still a really large map.
2. More options for one button activations that we could pull into the "variable" part of the screen at the bottom, and increase this variable beyond 4 icons. This way less people will be bitching and moaning, everyone gets what's important to them.

For the life of me, i still can't understand all the complaining about the wipers. They weren't optimum from day one when I got the car, and certainly aren't worse with this update. I'm scratching my head wondering wtf am I missing here??
lol #1 was literally the primary complaint from people last year. so to dismiss the complaints from last year and then say that one of the primary complaints is something you agree with…lol. this year it's made worse by the fact that they somehow added more controls to the music bar so now there's even less space to view the track info and there's no longer a "mid height" music view that you can easily access, which means that the map ends up being even smaller.

Really? I find it to be pretty trivial to tap the button with one finger while keeping a secure grip on the wheel with my left hand.
The button brings up the controls but it also causes the wipers to swipe. It’s never at the right speed and I’m increasing and decreasing the speed frequently in the rain around here.

As a guess I don’t think the NN is using driving speed as an input parameter. And it’s somehow way to aggressive about hitting the top omg were in a storm wiping speed. Worst wiper control system of any I’ve every used. I’m totally sure I could program a better one.

The button brings up the controls but it also causes the wipers to swipe. It’s never at the right speed and I’m increasing and decreasing the speed frequently in the rain around here.

As a guess I don’t think the NN is using driving speed as an input parameter. And it’s somehow way to aggressive about hitting the top omg were in a storm wiping speed. Worst wiper control system of any I’ve every used. I’m totally sure I could program a better one.

Ah I miss one.. my Dads 1955 MG TF has a worse wiper control system. But for obvious reasons he tries not to take that car out in bad weather. It has happened thou.

Also note there are plenty of times where I don’t even bother turning on the Tesla wipers. I’ll just manually press the stalk button as needed. Eg I’m being the stupid wiper control system because that’s apparently less work then dealing with it.

great! however the vast majority of drivers don't have the FSD beta, and for them this update is yes, an even bigger regression compared to last year. people were hoping that this year's update would fix some of the issues introduced last year, like the giant visualization that's useless for anyone who doesn't have FSD, and instead it has doubled down on removing manual controls.

oh and not that you should ever listen to anything Elon says, but he did "promise" that they would provide a way to control the size of the sidebar. I guess that's too complicated for them to design in a year though.

lol #1 was literally the primary complaint from people last year. so to dismiss the complaints from last year and then say that one of the primary complaints is something you agree with…lol. this year it's made worse by the fact that they somehow added more controls to the music bar so now there's even less space to view the track info and there's no longer a "mid height" music view that you can easily access, which means that the map ends up being even smaller.

The mid-height music menu is still there. You access it by toggling the playlist icon to the left of the search icon. It displays familiar information like favorites across various sources.

D06E6B57-42CC-45F9-9771-676A3146D530.jpeg