Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a real danger. A personal recommendation means far more than some writeup in an auto magazine and Tesla owners have been their biggest supporters. Up until a few weeks ago, I was one of them but I have to say I'd hesitate now. There are a lot of people who feel the same way and that can hurt Tesla's sales more than anything else.

Tesla has enjoyed a huge head start in the EV market but other companies are catching up and there are definitely more options now than there were even a year ago. For all the people who say "they other companies will never be as good" I have one word: blackberry.

They also have no PR department..

It will go a long way if they make some reasonable changes to address the current ui. And if they don’t I’m likely to tell people: “Great car but be prepared for some amount of frustration, nonsense and games from hq”.

UI, by itself, will not have such big impact. The trend is concerning. I have not seen any evidence that Tesla is most attuned to the young customers. Do not confuse early adopters, who are usually younger, with the general population. Also, Tesla cars are not necessarily low cost - something that most young drivers could afford.
Tesla now is a different company than it was 5yrs ago. It is not a secret that its valuation is based on expectation not current capabilities. If you look at the number of cars they produce and sell, they are a tiny percentage of what the “big guys” do.
If anything happens it will not be because of the UI itself. Absent alternatives, UI will hardly be a trigger. The trend, however, will create a resentment buildup. Those things take time but, once they start, unravel pretty quickly. Don’t get me wrong, it is very unlikely that Tesla will disappear but this trend will definitely get in a way of them becoming a mass market company.
Here is a Marketing 101 question: Who is their target customer? EV person? FSD person? Gamer? Environmentalist? Enthusiastic driver? Person who wants low maintenance car? “All of the above” is not an answer :)
First of all, I think your idea of who Tesla is as a company is strongly mistaken. There is a constant massive R&D project taking place to advance AI, that's the bulk of this and the push for FSD. The value is primarily in the software and technology, while creating an alternative more sustainable energy source. It's amusing that reading a few 'like-minded' posts about seat heaters being moved results in a failing car company. These Swiss cheese arguments have to stop, use facts if you're going to reference percentages and figures. It's pretty impressive if you actually look at the figures. Tesla may have produced less cars but it's market value is destroying the competition. Please elaborate on the trend you're referencing... or are we just saying 'I'm angry about v11 and so are 5 other people on this message board, so this company is really in trouble now...' Come on dude... it's ok if you don't like it, there's plenty I'm sure other people don't like about their ICE car. Plus, we probably need a definition of "Young Drivers" because the Atari/Nintendo/Sega crowd are now in their 40s, are tech savvy and likely have means to purchase a Tesla.

Educate yourself before making these kinds of statements... From the article below: “Tesla, born in Silicon Valley, never outsourced their software — they write their own code,” said Morris Cohen, a professor emeritus at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania who specializes in manufacturing and logistics. “They rewrote the software so they could replace chips in short supply with chips not in short supply. The other carmakers were not able to do that.”

Lastly, for your "Expert Marketing 101" comment, before you even go there, please tell the crowd what Tesla's marketing budget is... how much advertising do they do again? Please... inform... (Hint: read below)

To answer your question... None of the above, take the red pill ;)

Exactly - Tesla risks becoming a Blackberry if they're not careful.

What you completely fail to realize is no one is adverse to change. By definition, people who buy EVs are open to change. They just aren't brainwashed into thinking all change is good.
Yes, we completely fail to realize...only you and your anti v11 clique are in the know and harbor all the knowledge...please help us...

First of all, I think your idea of who Tesla is as a company is strongly mistaken. There is a constant massive R&D project taking place to advance AI, that's the bulk of this and the push for FSD. The value is primarily in the software and technology, while creating an alternative more sustainable energy source. It's amusing that reading a few 'like-minded' posts about seat heaters being moved results in a failing car company. These Swiss cheese arguments have to stop, use facts if you're going to reference percentages and figures. It's pretty impressive if you actually look at the figures. Tesla may have produced less cars but it's market value is destroying the competition. Please elaborate on the trend you're referencing... or are we just saying 'I'm angry about v11 and so are 5 other people on this message board, so this company is really in trouble now...' Come on dude... it's ok if you don't like it, there's plenty I'm sure other people don't like about their ICE car. Plus, we probably need a definition of "Young Drivers" because the Atari/Nintendo/Sega crowd are now in their 40s, are tech savvy and likely have means to purchase a Tesla.

Educate yourself before making these kinds of statements... From the article below: “Tesla, born in Silicon Valley, never outsourced their software — they write their own code,” said Morris Cohen, a professor emeritus at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania who specializes in manufacturing and logistics. “They rewrote the software so they could replace chips in short supply with chips not in short supply. The other carmakers were not able to do that.”

Lastly, for your "Expert Marketing 101" comment, before you even go there, please tell the crowd what Tesla's marketing budget is... how much advertising do they do again? Please... inform... (Hint: read below)

The general consensus I've seen is that Tesla is drastically overvalued. If you look at traditional metrics like Price to earnings ratio and compare that to any other car company it's drastically overvalued. There are other metrics and people will correctly point out that Tesla's sales have been skyrocketing, so the metrics may change, but it's not unreasonable to be concerned or suspicious of tesla's stock price.

Still, stock price is a pretty poor metric in and of itself - Theranos was once worth a lot of money, too. Tesla has necessarily put a ton of money into R&D. (Evidently not UI R&D...) Spending money on R&D and not advertising is not automatically bad, either. Clearly they haven't needed the advertising. The brand has had a certain mystique since the Model S was released and like I said earlier, Owners have also been huge evangelists. What happens if that wave that Tesla's been riding suddenly collapses? Tesla has experienced tremendous growth and also shown significant growing pains - poor build quality, poor service, etc. Not terribly surprising and many have been willing to put up with it but that won't continue forever. What happens when other EVs are released that may not be quite as good but have the reliability and build quality of Lexus or the service of Audi?

After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)
My first reaction is negative. And no, it's not because it is different. The UI has had a few changes over past year and each one seemed better. This one is a step backwards in terms of driver friendly. The most glaring issue, the battery level at destination and supercharger stops much harder to find. These are absolutely KEY things to know during a trip and they are no longer prominent. Big step backward. Other issues, but that's the biggie in my mind and it's not trivial oh just get used to it.... It's worse than before period.

I've never had rain sensing wipers that worked great. My Audi A4 had a system that was pretty good but I wouldn't call it great. Tesla's system is decidedly mediocre.
The auto-sensing wipers were one of two things I have hated on my Model 3 right from the get-go three years ago. They never work like they should. Just yesterday evening I was driving through the rain, constantly changing conditions, from slight but annoying drizzle that immediately filled the screen after every wipe, to heavy downpour, to almost nothing. Always changing. The Auto setting did not react appropriately at any time, but keeping it constantly at level 2 or 3 was also no option. In the end I had to more or less press the button on the stalk manually whenever necessary for the entire drive. Really annoying.
My 2004 BMW 3-Series I still keep as backup has no problems with such conditions, neither has my father's 2007 E-Class or our 2019 E-Golf.

The general consensus I've seen is that Tesla is drastically overvalued. If you look at traditional metrics like Price to earnings ratio and compare that to any other car company it's drastically overvalued. There are other metrics and people will correctly point out that Tesla's sales have been skyrocketing, so the metrics may change, but it's not unreasonable to be concerned or suspicious of tesla's stock price.

Still, stock price is a pretty poor metric in and of itself - Theranos was once worth a lot of money, too. Tesla has necessarily put a ton of money into R&D. (Evidently not UI R&D...) Spending money on R&D and not advertising is not automatically bad, either. Clearly they haven't needed the advertising. The brand has had a certain mystique since the Model S was released and like I said earlier, Owners have also been huge evangelists. What happens if that wave that Tesla's been riding suddenly collapses? Tesla has experienced tremendous growth and also shown significant growing pains - poor build quality, poor service, etc. Not terribly surprising and many have been willing to put up with it but that won't continue forever. What happens when other EVs are released that may not be quite as good but have the reliability and build quality of Lexus or the service of Audi?
Theranos was vapor and only greedy fools put their money into that. Tesla has and is delivering. As you mentioned, Tesla has suffered growing pains and people wont put up with it forever but how come brands with over 100 years building cars still have issues like quality yet people still buy them. People will still buy Tesla too. The Tesla wave isn't going to collapse because of a clique that doesn't like v11.

I am driving one of the most advanced and safe cars available today, I can do this without having to burn fossil fuels, I can do it more economically than gas, I can park up, charge and watch a movie or play a game to while away the time, I can accelerate quickly and quietly out of many dangers, I can perform operations using my voice, I can pack a whole load of stuff into the car, way more than a regular sedan, I can sleep in the car with camp mode (try that in an ICE) and leave my dog in the car with a/c yet not have to leave an engine running, I can get updates OTA to boost performance, improve UI and make the car better (last 2 are my opinion), I can engage FSD and sit back and relax while the car passes and changes lane and takes me off at the right ramp, I can enjoy a forward view most ICE sedan owners can only dream of (rear not so good but also not so vital) and on and on.

I welcome other brands to step up and innovate like Tesla is doing. I am open arms to others to show they have a car that can challenge Tesla, not only in the actual vehicle range, but in charging, entertainment. I have yet to see one. Back in 2018 it was 'next year', then in 2019 it was 'next year' then in 2020 it was 'next year...now its 'within 2 years'...what will I be hearing in 2023...'soon' ?

In some conditions (road spray being a good example), less water ends up building up in the top center of the windshield than the rest of it, resulting in the wipers not wiping enough but the cameras still being able to see. I had a similar problem in my VWs with fancy rain sensing wipers.
This would definitely explain what I experienced. But there is more…

I did the same test another time and eventually got a message that front camera was blocked. In this case it would no longer allow me to activate AP. Still, the wipers did not go on.

If the car knows the front camera is blocked why doesn’t it try the wipers to clean it? My guess is the wiper sensor is not based on the camera’s visibility.

Anyway, just rambling. Put them on manual and it’s good.

Theranos was vapor and only greedy fools put their money into that. Tesla has and is delivering. As you mentioned, Tesla has suffered growing pains and people wont put up with it forever but how come brands with over 100 years building cars still have issues like quality yet people still buy them. People will still buy Tesla too. The Tesla wave isn't going to collapse because of a clique that doesn't like v11.

I am driving one of the most advanced and safe cars available today, I can do this without having to burn fossil fuels, I can do it more economically than gas, I can park up, charge and watch a movie or play a game to while away the time, I can accelerate quickly and quietly out of many dangers, I can perform operations using my voice, I can pack a whole load of stuff into the car, way more than a regular sedan, I can sleep in the car with camp mode (try that in an ICE) and leave my dog in the car with a/c yet not have to leave an engine running, I can get updates OTA to boost performance, improve UI and make the car better (last 2 are my opinion), I can engage FSD and sit back and relax while the car passes and changes lane and takes me off at the right ramp, I can enjoy a forward view most ICE sedan owners can only dream of (rear not so good but also not so vital) and on and on.

I welcome other brands to step up and innovate like Tesla is doing. I am open arms to others to show they have a car that can challenge Tesla, not only in the actual vehicle range, but in charging, entertainment. I have yet to see one. Back in 2018 it was 'next year', then in 2019 it was 'next year' then in 2020 it was 'next year...now its 'within 2 years'...what will I be hearing in 2023...'soon' ?
Nailed it, only one thing I would say differently… “The Tesla wave isn't going to collapse because of a SMALL clique that doesn't like v11.”

This is a real danger. A personal recommendation means far more than some writeup in an auto magazine and Tesla owners have been their biggest supporters. Up until a few weeks ago, I was one of them but I have to say I'd hesitate now. There are a lot of people who feel the same way and that can hurt Tesla's sales more than anything else.

Tesla has enjoyed a huge head start in the EV market but other companies are catching up and there are definitely more options now than there were even a year ago. For all the people who say "they other companies will never be as good" I have one word: blackberry.
If people weren't snapping up current lineup Teslas quicker than they can make them, with hundreds of thousands of people waiting for a CT, thousands of businesses eagerly awaiting the Semi, tens of thousands (myself included) awaiting Powerwalls and solar roof/panels, then you may have a point, Tesla would be in danger!

Wow, you can't argue cold hard facts...but you know they are trawling the internet for anything to try! Perhaps try ihatev11.com for some unbiased opinion? LOL

I've never had rain sensing wipers that worked great. My Audi A4 had a system that was pretty good but I wouldn't call it great. Tesla's system is decidedly mediocre.

I think part of it is that on other cars you can more easily adjust them. On the M3 it’s just not as easy. Requires 2 hands. (Please - I know there’s a voice command, and a full screen stats page option.. the least bad way (for me) is the lower left ui)

I think part of it is that on other cars you can more easily adjust them. On the M3 it’s just not as easy. Requires 2 hands. (Please - I know there’s a voice command, and a full screen stats page option.. the least bad way (for me) is the lower left ui)
Why 2 hands?? I can only assume you mean one to press the button on the stalk and the other hand to hit the button on the mini screen? Your left hand doesn't leave the wheel (one finger does), so effectively you only need one hand to perform this operation.

Reactions: DDHEverything
So what actually is keeping you from selling your car? What do you like about it?

It’s a great EV. It’s smooth, quite, and fast. The audio system sound is also great. (The apps are sometimes finicky but they don’t drive me nuts). The seats are very comfortable. The expansive view is great. The non-cluttered cabin is great. The range is good. The charging system is good (portable, lots of plugs, decent rate). The super charging network, while I don’t use it much, is a key feature.

There’s also stuff about the new ui I like and am fine with. But I don’t want to confuse anybody into thinking it doesn’t have problems for which it could be improved upon.

And there were a couple of items I used to like but have been slowly souring on. FSD, and maybe now the direction of the updates. But I’m hopeful on the later. It seems like a low bar to fix a couple of them so maybe. Although I would say history indicates I probably shouldn’t be hopeful. Nav-AP, wipers, and headlight all have problems that have gone unaddressed for 4 years. IMO, that’s a bad sign. and maybe the ui issues won’t get any attention.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Exactly - Tesla risks becoming a Blackberry if they're not careful.
LOL. Now you've jumped the 🦈

You've previously made an effective case against some of the changes in the V11 UI. We get it. But even in the hotbed of UI negativity that is the TMC forums, I think it's clear to me that an increasingly number of people have gotten used to the changes and are just waiting to see if some of user complaints about the most annoying features are addressed.