Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)

After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)
I agree with you, I am the first to say the camera for BSM is a step in the right direction. I also love the larger buttons. I have not used Tidal ( I have Pandora). I may need to check it out and see if it is worth me paying for it.

I don't hate the new UI, but I also don't find it an improvement for people who is already used to the old one. I do think it is "better" for people who has not use the old UI before. There is no "hidden" things like wipe right and left under car for trip meter and tire pressure. I know they are trying to "clean up" the main screen, but can they make the autopilot any smaller? I kind of miss the old old way of having a huge speedometer number in the center top of the car display.

I’m not against the new interface but it will take time to get used to. But has anyone figured out where the glovebox button went to? I’m aware I can use voice commands but would like to know if it was removed.

You shouldn’t ever really need to check your tire pressure. When it gets low, it tells you. My 2021 M3 LR did this for me. Things you don’t use often shouldn’t be one tap away, and moving the tire pressure off the main screen makes total sense.

If your tire pressure is often low, you aren’t getting the proper tires and filling them up correctly (or whomever is doing this for you). You should be checking your pressure once a month at most… and even then, your car will tell you when there is a problem.

I will never understand the people who complain about this.

Everything blends in…..

Yes, that means finding wiper controls or headlights-on can take a bunch of searching/reading time while driving.

Are the new tap targets large enough to hit in a bouncing vehicle without lots of attention or bracing your hand against the edge of the screen?

Where's the fog lights button?

Yes, that means finding wiper controls or headlights-on can take a bunch of searching/reading time while driving.
Press the wipe button at the end of the turn signal stalk to bring up wiper quick controls.

Flash or toggle high beams to bring up lighting quick controls.

Are the new tap targets large enough to hit in a bouncing vehicle without lots of attention or bracing your hand against the edge of the screen?
Target size is larger than before. Seems like it should be easier to hit your mark when in motion.

Where's the fog lights button?
Controls > lights

Also available in the lighting quick controls I mentioned above.