Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the lack of total wiper control on a stalk, my Model 3 has always been more diffficult to start wipers compared to all my previous cars…..totally agreed. Be that as it may, I think the new UI is easier than the old UI in this aspect. The quick menu that comes up when you touch the stalk is larger (I’m pretty sure?) than before, so should be easier to adjust. At the very least, it’s no worse than before.

I’m not sure I understand the problem?
In the old UI, the bottom toolbar had an icon for wiper controls (if I remember right). So one click away. Now you have to do the push on the left stack just to get to the wiper control menu, that extra wipe may mean The End if you're windshield is already half covered in salt.

In the old UI, the bottom toolbar had an icon for wiper controls (if I remember right). So one click away. Now you have to do the push on the left stack just to get to the wiper control menu, that extra wipe may mean The End if you're windshield is already half covered in salt.

Wipers were two clicks before and are still two clicks now.

Previous UI:
  • Option 1: Press the end of the stalk (one click) to bring up wiper menu, then select your setting (another click)
  • Option 2: press the wiper icon (one click) to bring up the wiper menu, then select your setting (another click)
New UI:
  • Option 1: Press the end of the stalk (one click) to bring up wiper menu, then select your setting (another click)
  • Option 2: press the car icon (one click) to bring up quick controls, then select your setting (another click).
The only major difference is the wiper settings in option 2 are now in a different position on the screen than before. Option 1 is basically identical as the previous UI.

Previous UI:
  • Option 2: press the wiper icon (one click) to bring up the wiper menu, then select your setting (another click)
New UI:
  • Option 2: press the car icon (one click) to bring up quick controls, then select your setting (another click).
The only major difference is the wiper settings in option 2 are now in a different position on the screen than before. Option 1 is basically identical as the previous UI.
Option 2 also covers the entire map. And the button is further away in the middle of a lot of other buttons. It will require attention to use. The non-stalk method is the way I had settled on so now it’s a bit more difficult.

In any case, even the old way sucked and needed improved. There were complaints before too but after a while you stop complaining about it.

The wipers are on the short list of screwups with the car. They made a pile of things better and had a couple of misses. The wipers are a miss. When taking so many chances it’s not surprising; however, not working to improve the issue is a bigger miss.

My question was whether y'all push/pull the headlight stalk with a finger of one hand holding the steering wheel (similar to deftly tapping the end of the stalk), thus enabling the other hand to operate a temporary light control panel?

Model 3 is my favorite car but was it designed for video gamers? Gamers with the visual acuity to read low contrast small text and not mind the backup camera and sentry viewer scaled down 2/3.
@Transformer, that is it exactly. Everything about a Tesla is geared to the video gamer demographic: small fonts, small video, and pressing A, B, and Y at the same time. Tesla premiers great new games and new streaming audio and video channels constantly.

Previous UI:
New UI:
Yeah the problem with option 2 in the new UI is that the second click is about 5 miles away from the first and farther away from the driver.

I see right now you can get Tidal Hi-fi for three months for $1 and Hi-fi Plus for $2

I’m jumping in tonight

Is the difference audible between these two? What’s the sweet spot of Tidal audio quality for the 3/Y premium audio system, that you’ve found?

Did you need an extra USB drive, other than the one that comes natively in the glove compartment?

PS - I love the new UI, but I do wish the maps 1/3 of screen were still an option, as the other FSD betas have had recently

I see right now you can get Tidal Hi-fi for three months for $1 and Hi-fi Plus for $2

I’m jumping in tonight

Is the difference audible between these two? What’s the sweet spot of Tidal audio quality for the 3/Y premium audio system, that you’ve found?

Did you need an extra USB drive, other than the one that comes natively in the glove compartment?

PS - I love the new UI, but I do wish the maps 1/3 of screen were still an option, as the other FSD betas have had recently
Where?

You like the tire PSI as a hidden feature? Specially since the car does not have a low tire pressure warning.
Yes, it DOES have a low pressure warning. And how is it more hidden? Tell me how a new user would magically "know" to swipe to find a card (the old UI), vs looking a a menu marked "service" (which seems to me a logical place to put it).

What an abomination to humanity is this latest monstrosity of a UI.

What whipper-snapper developer(s) decided to use menus --- I want BIG icon buttons at the top level for freakin' everything. Never mind that I can't use my fingers some of time because of arthritis. Menus are for ordering food, gawd damn it!

Who decided to make the navigation map area smaller? Now I can't see the gopher holes on the map with satellite view turned on ... this is freakin' crap!

Who decided to use a 15-inch screen --- I want a 50-inch screen for my aging eyes, damn it! By the way, who decided to mount the screen in the middle of the driver's cockpit? I can't monitor the freakin' screen as I pull up to the In-N-Out Burger or Freddy's Frozon Custard & Steakburgers drive through windows ... this is freakin' insane!

We need to gather our voices and demand another amendment to the Constitution, damn it!

BTW, I can get use to this UI 😐

Oh, and everyone enjoy your holidays, damn it ...

I really like the new UI / UX. It certainly doesn't fix all my complaints, but goes a long way to making it safer so you don't have to dig thru menus. I do wish Tesla would integrate both Apple CarPlay, and Google Maps. I find that Tesla's navigation takes me all the wrong ways and sometimes can't see the past path. I also still want to see the font size increased for the gear selection, battery level, outside temp, time of day, and door locks. Why does it have to be so tiny?

After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)
I agree with you for the most part. That said, I think moving the dedicated front seat heater buttons was a mistake. We use them all the time in the cooler months. I haven't experimented with the Auto setting for that yet. We'll see how that goes.

Reactions: Xdama
I really like the new UI / UX. It certainly doesn't fix all my complaints, but goes a long way to making it safer so you don't have to dig thru menus. I do wish Tesla would integrate both Apple CarPlay, and Google Maps. I find that Tesla's navigation takes me all the wrong ways and sometimes can't see the past path. I also still want to see the font size increased for the gear selection, battery level, outside temp, time of day, and door locks. Why does it have to be so tiny?
lol what? They literally buried things IN menus, how is that more safe?

“I like this update but can’t see anything” okay.

I just leave my setting on auto lights and auto high/low beam all the time, I don't think I've gone into the menu to turn on the lights once since I got the car in 2018? There's literally nothing required.
Auto high beams are trash on my M3. Whenever I enable autopilot, I have to be ready with the other hand to turn off the brights 90% of the time, even if there is oncoming traffic 10 meters from me and a car directly in front of me. Almost all the time. I really dislike it and I bet the community driving around me hates it. The feature is aggravating to me. My MINI and Subaru have no problem doing auto high beams properly.

Yeah, LOL... I absolutely did not understand that. Is this one of the devs? 🤣

Correct. And located in a veritable sea of other buttons and options. It's not cleverly designed for the driver in mind. It's now a desktop application for sitting behind a desk, not at wheel. At a quarter of the price of the vehicle, I'm spending 10 GRAND on a partially baked feature. I venture to say most won't, even if the thing did work. It's not a self driving car, and I am skeptical it ever will be- even with FSD, it's not an autonomous car and this type of UI doesn't play.

@Transformer, that is it exactly. Everything about a Tesla is geared to the video gamer demographic: small fonts, small video, and pressing A, B, and Y at the same time. Tesla premiers great new games and new streaming audio and video channels constantly.

Yes, except Hulu has been broken for many of us with the DEV302 error for months. I had high hopes that it would have been fixed in one of the last two updates. Nope. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benbo
Auto high beams are trash on my M3. Whenever I enable autopilot, I have to be ready with the other hand to turn off the brights 90% of the time, even if there is oncoming traffic 10 meters from me and a car directly in front of me. Almost all the time. I really dislike it and I bet the community driving around me hates it. The feature is aggravating to me. My MINI and Subaru have no problem doing auto high beams properly.
Mixed feelings here, I’ve found it to be worse on our MX than on the P3D..

Reactions: tccartier
I like a lot of it but not all of it. I would love it if they made the shortcut menu from the car icon that opened the tutorial real. Even better if it was customizable. I liked driving with my efficiency card open — I’d adjust my driving to be more efficient. Unfortunately, there is no voice command to open up the trips info anymore. Would love to have that and other control items available in a shortcut and also voice commands for every control item (tire pressures also can’t be brought up with voice).

Reactions: Benbo

Yeah, LOL... I absolutely did not understand that. Is this one of the devs? 🤣

Correct. And located in a veritable sea of other buttons and options. It's not cleverly designed for the driver in mind. It's now a desktop application for sitting behind a desk, not at wheel. At a quarter of the price of the vehicle, I'm spending 10 GRAND on a partially baked feature. I venture to say most won't, even if the thing did work. It's not a self driving car, and I am skeptical it ever will be- even with FSD, it's not an autonomous car and this type of UI doesn't play.

Yes, except Hulu has been broken for many of us with the DEV302 error for months. I had high hopes that it would have been fixed in one of the last two updates. Nope. Sad.
Maybe the auto-high beams are beta software just like the auto wipers. I too agree with the auto high beams issue…

Just 2 cents here… we’re an awesome high tech software company that’s going to be the first in the world to have self driving cars for the masses. Oh and we can’t get the software for the headlight right. Sorry

Assume everyone has seen this: Tesla Voice Commands

("turn on windshield wipers" etc.) Not having an issue with this UI.
Two popular and regularly used by many were moved and there are either no voice commands associated or the expected voice command ("Show tire pressure" doen't work, but "show service" does- which is arguably non-intuitive, both should work). Also, many people drive in areas where there can be no data- this is true for the first 3-5 minutes of my drive. There are plenty of times where voice command isn't appropriate- people sleeping in the car on a road trip... or simply just that I'm playing a song and don't want to interrupt that experience for myself or passengers to use a silly voice command because a designer decided that empty black space looked better than a button I could tap almost blindly for a driving related function needs to be lost in a sea of other buttons on a full screen menu. 90% of what was done seems like the result of a 25 year old kid coding this stuff on a desktop who doesn't even have a license.

Voice commands aren't quick enough or reliable 100% of the time- and they absolutely need to be at times for wiper, defrost and other driving functions. It should not be relied on for safety behind the wheel or user interfaces when we are talking about operating a lethal weapon. You can kill yourself or an untold amount of people in a car- sometime, of all groups, it's like Tesla forgets that.

I generally like the UI but would like to see the speed limit be larger on the screen. I also haven't figured out why the time of podcasts seem to have gone away. Not a big deal though. I do like the new layout overall. Being able to customize the icons to a degree is nice but would like to see the ability to add a couple of more.