Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading the comments for the past week, going back and forth on what my feelings are. There are some things that have been criticized that I agree with.....but on the other hand, I like the simplicity. I think it ends up coming down to two major things, and then a bunch of minor stuff that is not a big deal to me. The two majors:

1. Bottom icons....totally agreed with many comments, the "recently viewed" list at the bottom is pretty stupid. It doesn't help drivers who are trying to memorize where the controls are, and it would be good to get rid of this and give more room for people to customize which icons they want at the bottom of the screen. Easily this could be 6 icons total, maybe 7? Included in those optional icons at the bottom should be options for wiper icons and things like seat heaters or defrosters, stuff that was there previously for a reason....they're often used. If not used often, and for those of us who don't care, they can be removed. Regarding music, I would also just have one icon for music.....there's a drop down list that's very simple to use once the music window comes up....get rid of an icon for every music source.
2. Top indicators......ie WiFi, BT, which driver, etc etc. I personally don't need them all, but pretty evident there should be an option in setup to let drivers choose if they want those indicators at the top.

One thing I actually do like is the more major isolation of the "car" icon on lower left. Hit that once, and it's easy to hit without even looking, and every major option is on your screen and easy to memorize.....lights, wipers, etc.....pretty large buttons in my opinion. It's made things maybe a bit more consistent. Assuming I had to use a menu for my wipers (I use the stalk instead), to me it's easier to remember one icon (the car) in the left corner, rather than searching for the wiper icon on that bottom (assuming it was there). Both options take your eyes off the road, but it's easier to find the car icon rather than searching for the wiper icon.....then the wiper control is up on your control screen and easy to see. In this respect, I don't really understand all the complaining about the loss of the wiper icon. It's way easier to use the stalk in the end.

Regards all the other stuff people are bringing up, nothing else really is bothering me. I can see the path forward for this interface, I just hope they follow the path and keep improving it.

+1 You nailed it, ditto!

I would add (I mentioned on another hate thread) that this non-sense about saving dash cam footage all the time is a bit out of hand too. As in, what is the need beyond a honk to save footage constantly.

The new font is great too.

Love the easy accessibility to the phone too.

Like you said, they’ll keep fine tuning it too.
Yup, I think I have pressed that button once in 2 years! That and needing to check tire pressures all the time while driving! And now people find it life threatening to swipe up on the screen to get to the defroster button. I understand that a lot of people don't take change very well but I was hoping for more plausible reasons than what I have read so far!!

For the first few days like most people, I was pretty salty. But after getting use to it, I can see the reasoning and logic of why Tesla did what they did.
I think most people don't like change, and that plays a part in the negativity. But it's like most things, once you adapt it is no where near as negative as it is made out to be. I can see the benefit of the new UI and think it will actually be easier for new people to adapt.

Some features are still missing, but its not the end of the world. E.g. how to see LTE status, can't hide unused sources, can't show satellite images (appears to be a premium connectivity feature now).... Also, I wish you could make the font bigger -- e.g clock time, speedometer, alerts.

Some positives I like:
* homelink is now more accessible and useful as a popup window
* temperature control is now easier imho - I like the little quick control that pops up
* auto seat warmers
* custom app tray

For the first few days like most people, I was pretty salty. But after getting use to it, I can see the reasoning and logic of why Tesla did what they did.
I think most people don't like change, and that plays a part in the negativity. But it's like most things, once you adapt it is no where near as negative as it is made out to be. I can see the benefit of the new UI and think it will actually be easier for new people to adapt.

Some features are still missing, but its not the end of the world. E.g. how to see LTE status, can't hide unused sources, can't show satellite images (appears to be a premium connectivity feature now).... Also, I wish you could make the font bigger -- e.g clock time, speedometer, alerts.

Some positives I like:
* homelink is now more accessible and useful as a popup window
* temperature control is now easier imho - I like the little quick control that pops up
* auto seat warmers
* custom app tray
Yes the sat images are part of premium connectivity. The font size has always been an issue for many users although I think the clarity is better on v11 over v10 as they seem to have used a slightly different font. You are spot on about people not liking change! Its so obvious in some of the comments I have read.

My biggest issue is the wiper control. Here in Canada, driving in snow, freezing rain, and salt-mixed slush, you literally do not have the time to tap down with your left hand, then find a tiny button on a touch-screen and press on it with your right hand just to turn the damn auto-wiper mode off because it all of a sudden decided to go crazy and won't stop making the windshield totally blocked with salted slush and snow. It was hard before, now with this new UI it's a death trap. This is a ticking bomb for Tesla, one of these days someone in the cold climate countries will die because of this (I came very close a few times already), and Tesla will make news with negative publicity.
I also live in Canada, in Ottawa as a matter of fact, and this is one of my gripes too.

Another reason to like the new update, just found out you can add custom light shows! Freakin incredible!!! Came across this YouTube video, he put links in the description of how to easily format the files and where to download some that are already made. I tried it and it works!

I've been on the teslalight.show web site for a few days now. I love that there are more and more being added. So I have this crazy idea of downloading a few, putting each song on it's separate usb drive and labeling them. I'm picking up a batch of drives that should be here today.
Reminds me of the days ripping a CD to USB stick.

Another 700 miles on this update and I think it’s pretty great. There are a few minor annoyances that I’ll either get used to or Tesla will tweak with future updates.

I don’t understand the complaints about LTE and Bluetooth status being unavailable/missing/buried. While they don’t show up in the main screen, they do show up at the top of the car settings screen. It’s literally one tap of the most convenient icon on the screen. The top of the car menu shows all of the things you’re used to like driver profile, Bluetooth, LTE signal strength and Homelink.

Speaking of Homelink, there is a pop-up window in the lower left of the screen as you approach your programmed Homelink locations. It’s much easier than the previous iteration and the pop-up no longer blocks the view of the back-up camera when reversing into a garage.

22B63BC0-C40D-4BE9-854D-41B407FBD8C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup, I think I have pressed that button once in 2 years! That and needing to check tire pressures all the time while driving! And now people find it life threatening to swipe up on the screen to get to the defroster button. I understand that a lot of people don't take change very well but I was hoping for more plausible reasons than what I have read so far!!
People like what they like. Arguing against that is like trying to tell someone they like spinach when they just don’t. It’s not a fact based thing, it’s a personal preference.

When you build a product IMO it’s foolish to try to tell people they like spinach. “You’re holding the phone wrong”. Don’t care.. this is how I want to hold it.

Also, convenience and ease of use are important factors for most consumer products. (Unless it’s a safety or security concern).

Tesla went from the ease of 1 button at a relatively easy location, to > 1 action at some more difficult to hit location on some features which people cared about. Of course there’s going to be feedback about that.

The big question I have is… are they telling me to like this spinach and it’s my problem, or are they listening and trying to do better.

People like what they like. Arguing against that is like trying to tell someone they like spinach when they just don’t. It’s not a fact based thing, it’s a personal preference.

When you build a product IMO it’s foolish to try to tell people they like spinach. “You’re holding the phone wrong”. Don’t care.. this is how I want to hold it.

Also, convenience and ease of use are important factors for most consumer products. (Unless it’s a safety or security concern).

Tesla went from the ease of 1 button at a relatively easy location, to > 1 action at some more difficult to hit location on some features which people cared about. Of course there’s going to be feedback about that.

The big question I have is… are they telling me to like this spinach and it’s my problem, or are they listening and trying to do better.
You misunderstood, I am not arguing against what people like...I am pushing back against the Stasi who say that these changes are dangerous and unsafe etc. That is nonsense as far as I am concerned. I would be more than happy for Tesla to allow the screen to be fully customizable to each individual taste (within reason...ie cannot do away with speed, speed limits etc). It isnt...yet. But neither is it unsafe or dangerous!

When I switched the blind side cameras on a few nights ago, and hit the turn signals, the upper 1/3 - 1/2 of the screen images were completely washed out by a glare. Is it the same for everyone, or is an adjustment warranted?
This only happens at night it seems. The day time it's fine. The blinking light is really close to the camera so I can see why that is like that at night.

Must admit I also like the new UI, however I’m a “Legacy” S owner; so most of the quirks that I see people complain about, doesn’t affect me.. homelink still where it’s been, dash cam, sentry mode, profile selection etc all still up top.. wipers non issue, tire pressure still in the left side of my binnacle display..

I’m only salty about no dash cam on signal and live sentry access..

Only thing I don’t like is if you sync the temperatures which is the way I’ve always had it there’s a giant empty space on the passenger side that bothers my OCD a little.. so my fix was to not sync them and the empty space is filled with the passengers temperature..

Other than that I love the new UI..

Reactions: AustinP
Must admit I also like the new UI, however I’m a “Legacy” S owner; so most of the quirks that I see people complain about, doesn’t affect me.. homelink still where it’s been, dash cam, sentry mode, profile selection etc all still up top.. wipers non issue, tire pressure still in the left side of my binnacle display..

I’m only salty about no dash cam on signal and live sentry access..

Only thing I don’t like is if you sync the temperatures which is the way I’ve always had it there’s a giant empty space on the passenger side that bothers my OCD a little.. so my fix was to not sync them and the empty space is filled with the passengers temperature..

Other than that I love the new UI..
Strange...I have driver and passenger synced and I see temps either side...the passenger can also hit their temperature and the control panel comes up so they can heat their seat if they want. Pretty intuitive for me

Reactions: jabloomf1230