Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!

Am I right in hoping in-car playback is true 5.1?

Do you have to turn off Immersive sound to avoid odd clashes?
I haven't spent enough time to test/confirm surround playback. It plays and sounds good. I did it early this am before work so still have to play with it. It's probably not worth it bitrate wise and effort over regular high bitrate FLACs. Though I'd warn ya, you can lose a lot of time in mp3tag just getting all the tags right, OCD thing. I'm losing so much time tweaking my tags so stuff displays the way I like, lol. I also want to test my other surround recordings like the virtual Dolby for my cans, etc.

Reactions: Boza and Benbo
Thanks but I've done this already- it's a different issue.
Wow, you ain't kiddin'... I didn't realize at first glance it was such a complicated process. So far, this thread (which points to another one right away) seems helpful. I'm surprised there isn't a regular GUI app for Windows/Mac or even Linux, that could automate some of this with the correct hardware

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to keep researching.. hehe =)

Reactions: Benbo
I took a drive today and decided to take a look through the UI again, mainly at the features many were complaining about (A/C settings, wipers, navigation etc). My opinion is nothing stuck out as dangerous. It's simply a matter of learning the new locations. The effort is basically the same, and in some cases like with the wipers, easier. Ok sure, some settings like heated seats are now one menu deeper, but the extra second really didn't matter.

The more logical grouping of settings and less clutter at the top and bottom with easier to select buttons within the submenus are what I saw as beneficial. I also had no issues reading alerts or the nav directions in their new locations. I understand everyone's seating position isn't the same, so this is something that may very well be a bigger issue for some, however, the whole screen should be visible with little effort. If it's a chore to see the whole screen, then that's more a seating position problem. I know some are complaining about having their arms in the way, but if that's the case, what did they do before? The previous tire and trip info cards were to the bottom left, so how did they see that info? And one's arm being in the way of the map directions meant their arm blocked part of the map before anyway. How did they deal with that? I would think they simply moved it out of the way.

Somone mentioned the fan controls being hard to change. I wasn't able to replicate that and tapped to set a speed without any fuss. Putting a + and as someone suggested shouldn't be a big deal so they may very well do that.

With enough push back, they may end up putting back some of the settings on the main screen, which is fine, and is probably the way it should be - majority rules. But right now, there's nothing I've seen to be hysterical about.

I took a drive today and decided to take a look through the UI again, mainly at the features many were complaining about (A/C settings, wipers, navigation etc). My opinion is nothing stuck out as dangerous. It's simply a matter of learning the new locations. The effort is basically the same, and in some cases like with the wipers, easier. Ok sure, some settings like heated seats are now one menu deeper, but the extra second really didn't matter.

The more logical grouping of settings and less clutter at the top and bottom with easier to select buttons within the submenus are what I saw as beneficial. I also had no issues reading alerts or the nav directions in their new locations. I understand everyone's seating position isn't the same, so this is something that may very well be a bigger issue for some, however, the whole screen should be visible with little effort. If it's a chore to see the whole screen, then that's more a seating position problem. I know some are complaining about having their arms in the way, but if that's the case, what did they do before? The previous tire and trip info cards were to the bottom left, so how did they see that info? And one's arm being in the way of the map directions meant their arm blocked part of the map before anyway. How did they deal with that? I would think they simply moved it out of the way.

Somone mentioned the fan controls being hard to change. I wasn't able to replicate that and tapped to set a speed without any fuss. Putting a + and as someone suggested shouldn't be a big deal so they may very well do that.

With enough push back, they may end up putting back some of the settings on the main screen, which is fine, and is probably the way it should be - majority rules. But right now, there's nothing I've seen to be hysterical about.
Multiple things are not as easy. For one IMO wipers are not easier. It depends on how you used them. In some cases it’s the same as before. And it in others it’s one step removed.

They’re are a few more, but the lack of readability of the night time map needs called out. I understand it works for some but this is not some edge case I would debate. It was made more difficult to use to the point where it has major usability problem (on my, and other, M3s).

I’m not saying I can’t work around these things, but they are annoying to me.

Reactions: Drrobmiller
Multiple things are not as easy. For one IMO wipers are not easier. It depends on how you used them. In some cases it’s the same as before. And it in others it’s one step removed.
This problem is a classic case of change. They aren't inherently harder to use if you just use the stalk button, they're just different for some people. Something people have to get used to.

I never used the wipers from the touchscreen on the previous UI, so I wouldn't even have known where to look if someone took my left stalk away. But once I learned, I'd just have to adapt. 🤷‍♀️

I do think there are things that are more difficult to access with v11...but wipers are mostly just different.

This problem is a classic case of change. They aren't inherently harder to use if you just use the stalk button, they're just different for some people. Something people have to get used to.

I never used the wipers from the touchscreen on the previous UI, so I wouldn't even have known where to look if someone took my left stalk away. But once I learned, I'd just have to adapt. 🤷‍♀️

I do think there are things that are more difficult to access with v11...but wipers are mostly just different.

The stalk button access is not different or new. It was there before. And I used/use it a lot. I also used the ui a lot which now is not as great. Just like the defrost option. Yes, these features are still there. Yes, I know how to find then. But I liked having those controls (and the seat heaters) pinned on the bottom tool bar. You may not and that’s ok too.

Reactions: Benbo
The stalk button access is not different or new. It was there before. And I used/use it a lot. I also used the ui a lot which now is not as great. Just like the defrost option. Yes, these features are still there. Yes, I know how to find then. But I liked having those controls (and the seat heaters) pinned on the bottom tool bar. You may not and that’s ok too.
My point is that it is different for people who never used them. I was specifically responding to your comment that multiple things are not easier to use. Wipers are not one of those things. 😜

I've mostly used the wipers manually with both the stalk and UI. If I used the stalk, the wiper card would pop-up requiring 2 steps: turn on, then select the speed. Now, I push the stalk and select the speed - one less step. Same with the UI, one less step.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just would like to understand how it's harder for you now.

Reactions: mang0 and Big Earl
I've mostly used the wipers manually with both the stalk and UI. If I used the stalk, the wiper card would pop-up requiring 2 steps: turn on, then select the speed. Now, I push the stalk and select the speed - one less step. Same with the UI, one less step.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just would like to understand how it's harder for you now.
There are time I want to turn the wipers off (or down). Now I have to either wipe the windows do to that, or press the car button in the lower left (easy) and then find them in large panel that panels which is not easy. Lots of stuff with lots of button press areas. And it blocks the entire map which I don’t think is a great thing but that’s not my big complaint. How do I shut them off easily? I do that a lot mostly because the auto wiper function doesn’t work well enough.

Reactions: ContrarianDC
I mean three taps – targeting smaller areas all over the screen – is absolutely more distracting and dangerous vs. a single tap in a location that hadn’t changed for years.

I’m trying to drive a car, not play a video game here. And being able to quickly get rid of condensation on my windshield is absolutely a safety issue. You can claim it’s not a big deal for you, maybe you live in a climate where it’s not common, but to claim 3 taps vs. 1 is no big deal when you’re driving at 50 mph is ludicrous. Do the math of how many feet you travel for every second that you have to glance down and find the next target to tap. It’s not two feet.

I mean three taps – targeting smaller areas all over the screen – is absolutely more distracting and dangerous vs. a single tap in a location that hadn’t changed for years.

I’m trying to drive a car, not play a video game here. And being able to quickly get rid of condensation on my windshield is absolutely a safety issue. You can claim it’s not a big deal for you, maybe you live in a climate where it’s not common, but to claim 3 taps vs. 1 is no big deal when you’re driving at 50 mph is ludicrous. Do the math of how many feet you travel for every second that you have to glance down and find the next target to tap. It’s not two feet.
One tap of the button on your left stalk gets rid of condensation instantly. And brings up the shortcut wiper menu in case you want to change any other speed settings.

After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.
I completely agree with everything you said. It's not perfect, but it's definitely better overall and a lot of complaints are just so petty and not constructive.

Maybe the auto-high beams are beta software just like the auto wipers. I too agree with the auto high beams issue…

Just 2 cents here… we’re an awesome high tech software company that’s going to be the first in the world to have self driving cars for the masses. Oh and we can’t get the software for the headlight right. Sorry
im not sure why some cars high beam work crappy and other not. my 2021myp high beam was garbage when I first got it, getting flashed by drivers all the time but after a few software updates it is now and has been for months quite flawless. is there a difference in the sensors from certain build dates that make that much of a difference.......?

yeah funny you mentioned that....I saw the same thing a few nights ago.

Actually I find this blind spot camera a bit distracting. I never put my blinker on way ahead of making a lane switch. With this system, I'm about to switch lanes, I put the short 3 blinker option on, I start to go.....and as I'm going the blind spot screen shows up literally in the worst spot on the middle screen, when I should be looking in my mirrors and at cars around me. I thought it was a great idea initially, and maybe I'll get used to it, but at this point I'd prefer to have a red light go on the mirrors like all other cars. Hey, blind spot detection a cool safety item in past twenty years, I drove 25 years without it, I'll live.

I like the new UI still,....it's a start, but it needs more options as others have
When I switched the blind side cameras on a few nights ago, and hit the turn signals, the upper 1/3 - 1/2 of the screen images were completely washed out by a glare. Is it the same for everyone, or is an adjustment warranted?
mine works really well, no glare, nothing. MYP 2021. you might just need a recalibration but hopefully it's not because of different cameras, sensors etc...