Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like blind spot to take up the whole half screen that the map uses. The small image takes a few too many milliseconds to gather information from. A bigger picture would be easier to use.
I would the blind spot window to have a warning, "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear (and blurrier)".😉

I have to admit that I like the new UI as well 🤠 Maybe I just really like aesthetics and it's clouding my judgement haha

I like the:
  • Aesthetics/looks
  • The ability to quickly switch between audio sources
  • The auto seat heaters
  • The blind spot cameras (for my seating position it isn't blocked by my arm, and it isn't really dark at night where I usually drive so the blinkers don't wash out the video feed)

There are of course annoying aspects, hopefully they get addressed:
  • Difficulty in toggling between small medium and large music screens
  • No indicator for which audio source is currently being used when the music tab is closed
  • Difficulty in returning to the map sometimes (we should have a "return to desktop" type button for this perhaps, currently I use the voice command "navigation" to return to the map)
  • Loss of the ability to swipe the energy screen down by just swiping down anywhere on the graph
  • Burying the tire pressures + trip/efficiency data
I don't mind the:
  • Defroster location (swiping up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen then pressing the defroster button/using voice seems ok)

Reactions: RNHurt
After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)

When I got my car it was running version 6. Just give it time after you go through four or five iterations of these updates it does get old. Having to relearn where everything is and how to use it, when you basically get no increased function and or capability. The software can be changed of course but the hardware in the car is what it is. At the end of the day, it's just a fancier switch to turn on the same light bulb. But I get your enthusiasm, I had it too years ago. Just wait a while and you'll understand.

Something else to consider. You seem to center your opinion based on strictly a landscape screen in a model 3 or model y. Understand that this update was pushed out to Model S and X also with a portrait screen some of the things that you mentioned that are so easy to do don't exist in cars with older hardware setups. So there are (can be) some huge difficulties in terms of the function and convenience. And also how it renders on the screen. Do a little more research and be a little less condescending to negative input there may be a real reason. Different cars have different hardware, not everyone is seeing what you see.

Last edited:
I'm OK with the new UI on "Legacy X". But they need to use up more dead space along side the icons and allow adding ones from the HVAC panel.
No Defrost button on main screen is insane. Especially in EV's where you can fog up very suddenly. Same goes for wiper control.
Anything that's not emergency/safety to get to, I don't mind if it's multiple clicks if it's logical where they put things.
Thank god I have single wipe on the stalk.

Oh, Beta FSD did try to kill me. Just going along clearly marked road, no oncoming traffic and suddenly it wanted to ram into the guard rail.
I don't know how I caught it in time. I try it every release until it does something stupid and it never lets me down.
It's about as bad a Nav on Auto Pilot, if not worse. The only thing that works in FSD is the blinker on the highway. That's it.

For the first few days like most people, I was pretty salty. But after getting use to it, I can see the reasoning and logic of why Tesla did what they did.
I think most people don't like change, and that plays a part in the negativity. But it's like most things, once you adapt it is no where near as negative as it is made out to be. I can see the benefit of the new UI and think it will actually be easier for new people to adapt.

Some features are still missing, but its not the end of the world. E.g. how to see LTE status, can't hide unused sources, can't show satellite images (appears to be a premium connectivity feature now).... Also, I wish you could make the font bigger -- e.g clock time, speedometer, alerts.

Some positives I like:
* homelink is now more accessible and useful as a popup window
* temperature control is now easier imho - I like the little quick control that pops up
* auto seat warmers
* custom app tray

Just keep in mind that not all configurations have those options. And all configurations do not have a landscape screen.

I get the desire to have 1 code bae, but they really should customize the experience when something doesn’t fit well.

I also find it interesting that in an age when we are finally able to design automobiles with customizable user interface possibilities, That there would be those who would insist that it is our responsibility to "get used to" whatever is provided.

And that it is those who complain who are themselves at fault, for not being willing to adapt to change. When in fact the ability to change is exactly what we want to see.

I'm OK with the new UI on "Legacy X". But they need to use up more dead space along side the icons and allow adding ones from the HVAC panel.
No Defrost button on main screen is insane. Especially in EV's where you can fog up very suddenly. Same goes for wiper control.
Anything that's not emergency/safety to get to, I don't mind if it's multiple clicks if it's logical where they put things.
Thank god I have single wipe on the stalk.

Oh, Beta FSD did try to kill me. Just going along clearly marked road, no oncoming traffic and suddenly it wanted to ram into the guard rail.
I don't know how I caught it in time. I try it every release until it does something stupid and it never lets me down.
It's about as bad a Nav on Auto Pilot, if not worse. The only thing that works in FSD is the blinker on the highway. That's it.
Given the V11 experience, I would be worried about any FSD coming from them. Basically, I am out of _any_ software updates at this point. Simply, I do not trust them.

I also find it interesting that in an age when we are finally able to design automobiles with customizable user interface possibilities, That there would be those who would insist that it is our responsibility to "get used to" whatever is provided.

And that it is those who complain who are themselves at fault, for not being willing to adapt to change. When in fact the ability to change is exactly what we want to see.
I can adapt to change. Let’s make seat warmers turn on by clicking the seat belt 3 times, saying “Abracadabra” and turning the wheel (or yoke) in the direction of the seat. That way we don’t even need a button (super clean interface), the car knows which seat to turn on (through the belt), confirms audibly from the driver (they are paying attention) and from the wheel/yoke turn.

I've found that tapping the wiper stalk with the left hand, switching hands on the wheel, then tapping a tiny wiper control button to be dicey. Hopefully the new larger buttons will work better.

My partner hates to use the touch screen while driving.

The lighting quick controls panel is good news.
More difficult in UK as the stalks are the same side as in wrong side drive 😈 (USA & EU) cars. Sorry couldn’t resist🤣🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Boza
When I got my car it was running version 6. Just give it time after you go through four or five iterations of these updates it does get old. Having to relearn where everything is and how to use it, when you basically get no increased function and or capability. The software can be changed of course but the hardware in the car is what it is. At the end of the day, it's just a fancier switch to turn on the same light bulb. But I get your enthusiasm, I had it too years ago. Just wait a while and you'll understand.

Something else to consider. You seem to center your opinion based on strictly a landscape screen in a model 3 or model y. Understand that this update was pushed out to Model S and X also with a portrait screen some of the things that you mentioned that are so easy to do don't exist in cars with older hardware setups. So there are (can be) some huge difficulties in terms of the function and convenience. And also how it renders on the screen. Do a little more research and be a little less condescending to negative input there may be a real reason. Different cars have different hardware, not everyone is seeing what you see.
From another owner who started with version 6, still driving the same S, I also am very happy with this new update.
Found it actually funny that we came back to colorized icons.
Reading the 3/Y complains, about cards, missing profiles and other “shortcuts”, I was under the impression that the vertical screen like ours still have less to “complain” about. (Only exception : blind spot and live sentry, but I think this will come later).

Yes the hardware is the same but the new version is about interface usability, and for sure bring change, trying to make it better, and bring a sense of new.
This hardware comment is like saying MS, Apple and the few others should stop delivering new OS or App version because “it’s the same hardware”.
Maybe you’re done with the updates, but that’s you. Me I’m still looking forward to the next one.
When I used to switch ICE car, from one to the other, I’d need to learn again, and that was part of the fun about changing car. Here, no need to change car. That’s also sustainability. Works for me.

When in fact the ability to change is exactly what we want to see.
I think you meant “the ability to not change” is what you want. Not we.

Anyway, I think OP, like me and others can express that they like the new UI, as much as you can post that you don’t.

Just wait a while and you'll understand.

No need to be … condescending?

From another owner who started with version 6, still driving the same S, I also am very happy with this new update.
Reading the 3/Y complains, about cards, missing profiles and other “shortcuts”, I was under the impression that the vertical screen like ours still have less to “complain” about. (Only exception : blind spot and live sentry, but I think this will come later).

Yes the hardware is the same but the new version is about interface usability, and for sure bring change, trying to make it better, and bring a sense of new.
This hardware comment is like saying MS, Apple and the few others should stop delivering new OS or App version because “it’s the same hardware”.
Maybe you’re done with the updates, but that’s you. Me I’m still looking forward to the next one.
When I used to switch ICE car, from one to the other, I’d need to learn again, and that was part of the fun about changing car. Here, no need to change car. That’s also sustainability. Works for me.

Anyway, I think OP, like me and others can express that they like the new UI, as much as you can post that you don’t.

If you like change just for the sake of change fine, enjoy. I prefer change for a better solution and this is not it.

The number of owners who are not seeing improvement appear to outnumber those who do I might add.

Reactions: lensovet and Boza
...Found it actually funny that we came back to colorized icons.
I was thinking exactly the same thing: "Wait, we're back to color now?" I remember the whole thread when that was taken away for a more cleaner streamlined look... Funny how tastes change.... C'mon Tesla, put an end to all this bickering and let the user skin the UI the way we like! I mean, if you have the ability for us to upload an xlights file to make our own light show, you definitely have the ability to let us upload some skins! Who knows, I can see a whole new forum open up with people sharing their cool skins!

If you like change just for the sake of change fine, enjoy. I prefer change for a better solution and this is not it.

The number of owners who are not seeing improvement appear to outnumber those who do I might add.
Every owner is entitled to their opinion as to whether or not the recent changes are an improvement. At this point V11 has been out for less than two weeks; some opinions may change over time (for or against V11), particularly if there are further tweaks. For example, I'm on the fence about the blind spot camera display; I'll form an opinion over the next few weeks/months.

It would be interesting to see if there are any reliable figures that track owner opinions about v11. I see a couple of informal polls in these forums but the total responses were less than 1000 for those two polls. I think that total Tesla sales are now about 2.4 million cars. Without a random sample of all Tesla owners it is pretty difficult to draw any conclusions. (I'm in the camp that believe that those with negative opinions are more likely to comments in these sort of forums; that could be a factor in the large number of complaints in these forums.)

Reactions: RNHurt and AustinP
Every owner is entitled to their opinion as to whether or not the recent changes are an improvement. At this point V11 has been out for less than two weeks; some opinions may change over time (for or against V11), particularly if there are further tweaks. For example, I'm on the fence about the blind spot camera display; I'll form an opinion over the next few weeks/months.

It would be interesting to see if there are any reliable figures that track owner opinions about v11. I see a couple of informal polls in these forums but the total responses were less than 1000 for those two polls. I think that total Tesla sales are now about 2.4 million cars. Without a random sample of all Tesla owners it is pretty difficult to draw any conclusions. (I'm in the camp that believe that those with negative opinions are more likely to comments in these sort of forums; that could be a factor in the large number of complaints in these forums.)
In general, people are more inclined to share negative rather than positive opinion. Even if one accounts for such bias, the delta is significant. There was a poll with 50%+ “don’t like it” response.
While a lot of V11 details are preference-based and therefore subjective, there are things that are very objective - seat heaters, front and rear defoggers, etc. Foundational rule of ergonomics is that commonly used functions, especially when related to safety, have to be unambiguous and easy to locate/use. If the car can drive itself then it is a totally different story but we are still years away from that. So long as the humans are responsible for safety then we should make it easier for them to do it.

What I would like to see from yourself or ?? since you took the time to parse my posts. Tell me what function that I actually have gained? What in this UI actually works better than it did before? I'm not talking about embellishment that's subjective yes the colors look nice but they don't make it work any better.

So give me some examples of what actually works better for you and why. I see plenty of examples of people telling me what doesn't work better and why. Many of those things are legit. Burying functions a layer deeper doesn't seem to make much sense not sure how that's an improvement but I'll wait here please do tell.

In general, people are more inclined to share negative rather than positive opinion. Even if one accounts for such bias, the delta is significant. There was a poll with 50%+ “don’t like it” response.
While a lot of V11 details are preference-based and therefore subjective, there are things that are very objective - seat heaters, front and rear defoggers, etc. Foundational rule of ergonomics is that commonly used functions, especially when related to safety, have to be unambiguous and easy to locate/use. If the car can drive itself then it is a totally different story but we are still years away from that. So long as the humans are responsible for safety then we should make it easier for them to do it.
Thanks for your comments. I do think that polls where a person chooses to participate are more suspect than random ones (but I'm no expert in polling). My only other comment relates to functions being easy to find/use (which is true). However I do question whether the ease of use should be judged after a few days (or few hours) of exposure to a new system. Ease of use is likely to improve over time (but perhaps not back to what owners experienced under v10 in all cases).

What I found somewhat annoying in reading comments was what I thought were the over the top negative reactions by a few people. Those would be the ones that talked about wishing they had never bought a Tesla, that one extra screen touch was totally unacceptable, etc.; after using V11 for a very short period of time. Reminded me of some of the reaction that seems to happen every time there is a Windows update. Over time people adapt and life goes on.

The argument for adaptation is a red herring. Our brain uses neuron networks and they are highly adaptable. The fact that we adapt to change does not make the change positive.
Some things are very objective and easy to assess without long usability tests. For example, if we assume that safety is more important than aesthetics then the shorter the distraction the better the UI is. Hence, fewer clicks to operate a function (especially a safety related one), the better. The new interface increases the number of clicks to operate the defogger. Hence, it is a degradation in functionality.