Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that fewer touches are generally better but I do like the climate controls being consolidated in one place with bigger buttons. Open one screen and make multiple climate adjustments. If we want a UI that has multiple single touch controls for defoggers, etc we can rest assured that there would be no consensus as to which controls would have their own spot on the main screen. That could be addressed by greater freedom for the driver to customize the screen (although that might create some other issues).

I don't think this applies to you but from some of the over-the top comments one would conclude that v11 just changed a Tesla from the safest car on the road to a death trap.
Because people like to complain. The same people that are complaining about the extra touches are complaining about things like tire pressure and trips - as if these things should be messed with while driving.

Shame, I was excited about that little bit of information until this point. You can therefore only do this when not navigating somewhere.

It would make more sense to me if the car visualization was covered up. Most of the information there you can see out the window anyway.
Having the map covered doesn’t preclude you from navigating somewhere. In addition to turn-by-turn voice directions, the system will display your next turn in the visualization area.

Reactions: rosegrif1
I was thinking about that this afternoon. It seems like such a first-world problem not to be able to continually monitor your tire pressures. Or that it takes a swipe and a press to turn on our heated seat if you don't happen to be able to use the voice command (personally, I do live where there are quite a few cell dead areas). Yet, we have people saying that they now hate their Tesla, etc. There certainly are things to improve and yes the defogger needs to be readily accessible. But some of the emotion being vented here is over the top.

The argument for adaptation is a red herring. Our brain uses neuron networks and they are highly adaptable. The fact that we adapt to change does not make the change positive.
Some things are very objective and easy to assess without long usability tests. For example, if we assume that safety is more important than aesthetics then the shorter the distraction the better the UI is. Hence, fewer clicks to operate a function (especially a safety related one), the better. The new interface increases the number of clicks to operate the defogger. Hence, it is a degradation in functionality.
Well, I could argue that an decluttered UI discourages constant tinkering with the touchscreen and decreases distractions. In addition to my MY, I also own a recent BMW (530e hybrid). It has numerous buttons, dials and two screens. The BMW's UI is nested so deep, I am at a loss to find items even while just sitting in my driveway. The tire pressure information takes a lot more than two clicks to find.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing against adding some missing items back to the main UI screen. I'm just pointing out that having more options encourages using them.

being a computer engineer myself and knowing how easy it is to make some feature available, like customizable font size and rearranging icons, resize windows etc.........it's literally a click of a mouse to enable that on the back end yet tesla engineers are hiding that from the interface to assume it's a one size fits all. Hey we can already do that on the computers we use right now whether its a smart phone, tablet, desktop.......all customizable. tesla is a computer.......the features are already built in ready to go

Reactions: Xdama
I was thinking about that this afternoon. It seems like such a first-world problem not to be able to continually monitor your tire pressures. Or that it takes a swipe and a press to turn on our heated seat if you don't happen to be able to use the voice command (personally, I do live where there are quite a few cell dead areas). Yet, we have people saying that they now hate their Tesla, etc. There certainly are things to improve and yes the defogger needs to be readily accessible. But some of the emotion being vented here is over the top.
$100k+ inevitably create high expectations…

Reactions: ContrarianDC
Well, I could argue that an decluttered UI discourages constant tinkering with the touchscreen and decreases distractions. In addition to my MY, I also own a recent BMW (530e hybrid). It has numerous buttons, dials and two screens. The BMW's UI is nested so deep, I am at a loss to find items even while just sitting in my driveway. The tire pressure information takes a lot more than two clicks to find.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing against adding some missing items back to the main UI screen. I'm just pointing out that having more options encourages using them.
Certainly a valid point. That is why important/most used things should be readily accessible. Others, like suspension settings, could be buried in well-categorized menus.

I like the new UI, simply because I just recently got my MY. I agree with Surfrasch that they will build on this UI in future. I would like to see the possibility of adding more features into the driver profile setting i.e. drive mode, etc... and possibly be able to personalize/customize views and store it under driver preference.

Yep, that's what I thought when I bought a 2012 Model S Signature. S85

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve and Boza
I like the new UI, simply because I just recently got my MY. I agree with Surfrasch that they will build on this UI in future. I would like to see the possibility of adding more features into the driver profile setting i.e. drive mode, etc... and possibly be able to personalize/customize views and store it under driver preference.
i don't follow, drive mode prefs are already stored in the profile today?

After using V11 with the 2021 Model S and then the FSD update on a Y - like the OP I just wanted to say "good work Tesla" - I really like the new UI and the flow a lot better then V10..on the Y the smaller speed indicator at the very top left of the screen is a simple but smart change, and the ability to have windows of what you want (music, etc) on top of the map is also smart.

They just need to keep going with it..just my 10c

Reactions: rjpjnk and abigva
There is much discussion on the removal of the seat heater controls (and I truly miss them). I understand why, the cabin heater uses so much energy while the seat heat doesn’t, so range is increased. (And the steering wheel heater is just pure luxury...and should also have a place on the bottom control bar).
Tesla’s compensation for moving the seat heater control is to give use a new setting...the automatic setting on the seat heater. So on the surface this sounds like a great deal. But I have not read of anyone reviewing this new function before criticizing the removal of the icon.
Has anyone tested the automatic seat heater yet?

There is much discussion on the removal of the seat heater controls (and I truly miss them). I understand why, the cabin heater uses so much energy while the seat heat doesn’t, so range is increased. (And the steering wheel heater is just pure luxury...and should also have a place on the bottom control bar).
Tesla’s compensation for moving the seat heater control is to give use a new setting...the automatic setting on the seat heater. So on the surface this sounds like a great deal. But I have not read of anyone reviewing this new function before criticizing the removal of the icon.
I keep it on auto and seems to serve the purpose so far I would give it an early passing grade and consider it a good upgrade but should still have the manual button not hidden........or at least able to drag to the bottom bar if preferred. I can see this being where tesla goes in the future, having almost all icons movable to the bottom bar if you choose. I like that feature now but doesn't have the icons available that I want and only allows 4 icons when there is room for at least 10

I like it, I hardly ever touch the manual seat heater controls now. It heats up at level 3 then goes to level 1 to maintain temp. The only time I use the manual control is when I want to keep food warm in the passenger seat. I guess it still would be good for users to have the option of putting the seat heater and defroster buttons on the bottom though.

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba and Driver08
The expectation from a new software version is improvements and new functionalities. I did not see a big step forward in any of these two. I was also used to see information such as consumption and the odometer at the same time as the map, the media or the gsm signal and the driver profile. There is enough space on the screen for more information and in the previous version one could see more at a glance, even with small fonts.

How do you leave the wiper controls up??? That would be very useful.
Not sure how you leave them up, I had a loaner 3 for a few days and being used to the S, I went to hit the wiper button on the stalk for a “quick wipe” (same button you hold in for windshield washer) and noticed that brings up the wiper speed controls.. don’t have the car to test but I remember it going away after a few seconds..

I like the automatic seat heaters. I especially like that they start out of high (3) and gradually work their way down. I never feel the need to adjust the seat heaters any more and definitely don't mind them not being on the main screen. Still, I think it should be an option to put them in the app tray if someone wants instant access. Hopefully more such customization will come with future updates.

I like it, I hardly ever touch the manual seat heater controls now. It heats up at level 3 then goes to level 1 to maintain temp. The only time I use the manual control is when I want to keep food warm in the passenger seat. I guess it still would be good for users to have the option of putting the seat heater and defroster buttons on the bottom though.

Just keep in mind that not all hardware configurations can have automatic seat heater setting available with the latest update. That's not an option in my car so manual control of the seat heaters is the only way to do it. So when those switches went away it really wasn't handy to put them one menu deeper.

Just keep in mind that not all hardware configurations can have automatic seat heater setting available with the latest update. That's not an option in my car so manual control of the seat heaters is the only way to do it. So when those switches went away it really wasn't handy to put them one menu deeper.
Dang in that case it would suck because I would fiddle with it a lot in the past

I like the automatic seat heaters. I especially like that they start out of high (3) and gradually work their way down. I never feel the need to adjust the seat heaters any more and definitely don't mind them not being on the main screen. Still, I think it should be an option to put them in the app tray if someone wants instant access. Hopefully more such customization will come with future updates.
I wasn’t aware they gradually reduced temp. Any idea what timeframe they switch down over. Do they eventually switch off completely? My old Mercedes used to do this as the thinking then was having seat heaters on all the time wasn’t good for you.