Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having the map covered doesn’t preclude you from navigating somewhere. In addition to turn-by-turn voice directions, the system will display your next turn in the visualization area.
Wait... that's EXACTLY what is not happening on my 2020 Model Y and I've been feeling like I'm absolutely crazy for feeling like the turn-by-turn navigation UX is so ****ing terrible now! I feel like driving my Model Y is dangerous now because I recall always having the upcoming navigation step appear within the visualization area as it approaches, but that's absolutely not happening on my screen anymore. The only UI I get for navigation steps is within the map UI component as a small list with coming step at the top.
Am I just experiencing a bug or something?!

Wait... that's EXACTLY what is not happening on my 2020 Model Y and I've been feeling like I'm absolutely crazy for feeling like the turn-by-turn navigation UX is so ****ing terrible now! I feel like driving my Model Y is dangerous now because I recall always having the upcoming navigation step appear within the visualization area as it approaches, but that's absolutely not happening on my screen anymore. The only UI I get for navigation steps is within the map UI component as a small list with coming step at the top.
Am I just experiencing a bug or something?!
No, it’s the new, cleaner interface! They’ve helpfully removed everything useful so you can enjoy it being clean!

I've used the Navigation several times in the past week and haven't seen anything that stuck out as an issue. The directions were clearly visible on the map. No missing street names and it zoomed like it did before. It's not dangerous, lol.
The same hypochondriacs are complaining about things like tire pressure moving. And that somehow this makes it dangerous because they have to click a few times while driving…as if they should be looking at tire pressure while driving.

Since I only just received my M3P in late September I didn't really have an attachment to the old UI.

Although I don't understand some of the changes, I don't dislike the update. For me it's not better or worse, just different.
Well, I have had my car for almost three years now and have witnessed lots of changes to the UI. Some I liked, some I disliked, but the overall direction I never disliked - until this time.

Up to V10.x the lower icon bar in the home screen had all the vital buttons in it all the time. Windscreen defogger, defroster, seat heater, wiper controls, music, camera, climate temperature, everything.
Plus on the lower left of the screen you had your tab for your trip info. Unfortunately I had to activate it again everytime I started the car, which was a nuisance, but at least the info was available permanently and unobtrusively without taking away anything relevant from the rest of the screen.

Now, the trip info is gone and the part of the screen where it used to be is totally dead real estate, unless I signal and see the camera image. Most of the time it is totally blank. If I want my trip info, I have to go to the vehicle settings menu, and then the trip info fills the entire main part of the screen, where the nav screen should be. No use while driving therefore.

Now, when I need the windscreen defroster, defogger or the heated seats, I have to first bring up the climate control menu, then look for the appropriate button, all while taking my eyes away from the road. What's that supposed to be? Where's the improvement in making things more complicated and hence dangerous?

I find it highly disturbing that Tesla now appears to favor multimedia functions over safety related functions. Seriously, how often do I need to rearrange the multimedia and entertainment buttons along the bottom of the screen? Can't this be something that is done via the vehicle settings page, while the important safety related stuff stays where it is instead if being hidden away in some submenu?

Honestly, I have loved driving my car since day one. Ever since I got the V11 update I absolutely hate every time I have to drive it.
If this is the way Tesla is going to move forward with their UI, this will not be my car for much longer, and the next one won't be a Tesla anymore either. After all, by now there is enough very attractive competition around, something that just wasn't the case when I bought my Model 3.

Well, I have had my car for almost three years now and have witnessed lots of changes to the UI. Some I liked, some I disliked, but the overall direction I never disliked - until this time.

Up to V10.x the lower icon bar in the home screen had all the vital buttons in it all the time. Windscreen defogger, defroster, seat heater, wiper controls, music, camera, climate temperature, everything.
Plus on the lower left of the screen you had your tab for your trip info. Unfortunately I had to activate it again everytime I started the car, which was a nuisance, but at least the info was available permanently and unobtrusively without taking away anything relevant from the rest of the screen.

Now, the trip info is gone and the part of the screen where it used to be is totally dead real estate, unless I signal and see the camera image. Most of the time it is totally blank. If I want my trip info, I have to go to the vehicle settings menu, and then the trip info fills the entire main part of the screen, where the nav screen should be. No use while driving therefore.

Now, when I need the windscreen defroster, defogger or the heated seats, I have to first bring up the climate control menu, then look for the appropriate button, all while taking my eyes away from the road. What's that supposed to be? Where's the improvement in making things more complicated and hence dangerous?

I find it highly disturbing that Tesla now appears to favor multimedia functions over safety related functions. Seriously, how often do I need to rearrange the multimedia and entertainment buttons along the bottom of the screen? Can't this be something that is done via the vehicle settings page, while the important safety related stuff stays where it is instead if being hidden away in some submenu?

Honestly, I have loved driving my car since day one. Ever since I got the V11 update I absolutely hate every time I have to drive it.
If this is the way Tesla is going to move forward with their UI, this will not be my car for much longer, and the next one won't be a Tesla anymore either. After all, by now there is enough very attractive competition around, something that just wasn't the case when I bought my Model 3.
While I agree that the direction of UI is confusing (saying the least), unfortunately, at the moment Tesla does not have a viable competitor. And that is the problem.

I've used the Navigation several times in the past week and haven't seen anything that stuck out as an issue. The directions were clearly visible on the map. No missing street names and it zoomed like it did before. It's not dangerous, lol.
In V10 if the map was covered by another screen (e.g. the audio controls,) the map directions would display on the left half of the screen. In V11 they're gone.

Maps has also removed the icon to change the map orientation and removed the display showing the estimated battery on arrival. Not huge problems but incremental regression nonetheless.

In V10 if the map was covered by another screen (e.g. the audio controls,) the map directions would display on the left half of the screen. In V11 they're gone.

Maps has also removed the icon to change the map orientation and removed the display showing the estimated battery on arrival. Not huge problems but incremental regression nonetheless.

All three of those things are still present in V11.

Directions are now at the bottom of the visualization instead of the top.
2F306F4B-C1DE-45F9-AE36-117E85FBBCDD.jpeg

The compass button is next to the navigate button and hides after a period of time - tap anywhere on the map to bring it back (I find this annoying, but it’s there).
B11A2837-65C6-4588-BF0F-AAD37E676911.jpeg

Estimated state of charge on arrival and for a round trip are still there - scroll to the bottom of the turn-by-turn list.
36F0343E-D72C-491B-A8D9-0174CE90A471.jpeg

Last edited:
So many things thought to be missing or difficult in v11 are turning out to be there all along just different. I wonder if just having a good tutorial showing how to get the best out of this OS would have helped many of those who think this update is so bad adapt.

• Disagree
Reactions: ContrarianDC

In heavy rain today I took the opportunity to play around with the climate control settings and really couldn't find a setting that would be distracting enough to be a danger. To me, it's well laid out and the buttons are within easy reach. You're thinking about giving up your car over this?

Also, the green energy app has trip and consumption info.

20220111_175025.jpg

Reactions: Big Earl
All three of those things are still present in V11.

Directions are now at the bottom of the visualization instead of the top.
View attachment 754687

The compass button is next to the navigate button and hides after a period of time - tap anywhere on the map to bring it back (I find this annoying, but it’s there).
View attachment 754688

Estimated state of charge on arrival and for a round trip are still there - scroll to the bottom of the turn-by-turn list.
View attachment 754689
I hadn't seen the directions at the bottom of the screen but they're also hidden if there's any other notice at the bottom of the screen. I don't know why they moved them from the top - there's a ton of completely blank space at the top that's totally unused and easier to see.

As for the other items (compass, map view indicator and battery indicator, they are all hidden on the main map screen - you have to tap the screen or expand the directions to see them.

It's like everything else with this update. They didn't remove it, they just moved, obscured or otherwise made it harder to see and access. V11 seems to be the solution to the problem that nobody had.

1641951458226.png
1641951487683.png

So many things thought to be missing or difficult in v11 are turning out to be there all along just different. I wonder if just having a good tutorial showing how to get the best out of this OS would have helped many of those who think this update is so bad adapt.
Someone did:
V11 Transition Guide

I noted a couple of things when I read the post. First, it's remarkable how many paragraphs start with "this is no longer on the main screen." The other is the fact that the post is necessary. The fact that it's necessary speaks volumes about the poor design.

Someone did:
V11 Transition Guide

I noted a couple of things when I read the post. First, it's remarkable how many paragraphs start with "this is no longer on the main screen." The other is the fact that the post is necessary. The fact that it's necessary speaks volumes about the poor design
The fact that the guide does not come from Tesla also speaks volumes.

In heavy rain today I took the opportunity to play around with the climate control settings and really couldn't find a setting that would be distracting enough to be a danger. To me, it's well laid out and the buttons are within easy reach. You're thinking about giving up your car over this?

Also, the green energy app has trip and consumption info.

View attachment 754743
Again the point is that every extra tap you add is additional time you have to take your eyes off the road. In the case of the defoggers, they have also moved to a position on the screen that cannot he reached while bracing your hand against the edge of the screen, requiring more precise tapping (which requires you take your eyes off the road even longer). Of course when you look at the screen statically it all looks fine and logical. That seems to be the primary issue with this UI – it was designed for using sitting down at a desk, rather than driving at 70 mph.

I hadn't seen the directions at the bottom of the screen but they're also hidden if there's any other notice at the bottom of the screen. I don't know why they moved them from the top - there's a ton of completely blank space at the top that's totally unused and easier to see.

As for the other items (compass, map view indicator and battery indicator, they are all hidden on the main map screen - you have to tap the screen or expand the directions to see them.

It's like everything else with this update. They didn't remove it, they just moved, obscured or otherwise made it harder to see and access. V11 seems to be the solution to the problem that nobody had.

View attachment 754773View attachment 754774

I see you have the phone and messages app locked into your app launcher for easy access. Accessing both of those functions was a lot more distracting before the update (they were one level deep and then involved hunting around in the popup drawer that would appear in v10).

Also generally in v11 there is a trend towards moving controls that used to be on the far side of the screen closer to the driver and enlarging tap targets throughout the OS, which I find makes accessing certain functions much easier and more reliable than they were before.

Is it perfect? No, I think the profile setting should move back to the map screen as it ends up being used pretty often if there are multiple drivers for the car. Also, though I like the new phone and HomeLink controls, the notification area needs some work still to resolve issues with controls being obscured by other controls (I feel some controls should be always available if they are active, such as current call controls, and HomeLink controls), and the music app interface does feel like more of a step sideways than forward.

But most of the items above are things that could be pretty easily improved in later updates to the UI.

I think the option to add defroster controls (and seat heaters) back to the main screen as an option would address one of the bigger concerns around daily usability.

As far as trip info and tire pressure access, while I realize there's a group of people using these functions constantly, I think they're in the minority when considering the whole of Tesla owners. Most people don't constantly check their tire pressures or efficiency stats while driving. I get that there are use cases where this could be useful, but for the average Joe or Jane Tesla owner (or any average car owner for that matter) they just won't have a need to monitor those stats constantly, and if they do need to access something like tire pressure, it would be a thing they would pull up and check occasionally if the need arises, I think it makes sense for Tesla to free up that space for functionality that would be more useful for a larger subset of owners.

I see you have the phone and messages app locked into your app launcher for easy access. Accessing both of those functions was a lot more distracting before the update (they were one level deep and then involved hunting around in the popup drawer that would appear in v10).

Also generally in v11 there is a trend towards moving controls that used to be on the far side of the screen closer to the driver and enlarging tap targets throughout the OS, which I find makes accessing certain functions much easier and more reliable than they were before.

Is it perfect? No, I think the profile setting should move back to the map screen as it ends up being used pretty often if there are multiple drivers for the car. Also, though I like the new phone and HomeLink controls, the notification area needs some work still to resolve issues with controls being obscured by other controls (I feel some controls should be always available if they are active, such as current call controls, and HomeLink controls), and the music app interface does feel like more of a step sideways than forward.

But most of the items above are things that could be pretty easily improved in later updates to the UI.

I think the option to add defroster controls (and seat heaters) back to the main screen as an option would address one of the bigger concerns around daily usability.

As far as trip info and tire pressure access, while I realize there's a group of people using these functions constantly, I think they're in the minority when considering the whole of Tesla owners. Most people don't constantly check their tire pressures or efficiency stats while driving. I get that there are use cases where this could be useful, but for the average Joe or Jane Tesla owner (or any average car owner for that matter) they just won't have a need to monitor those stats constantly, and if they do need to access something like tire pressure, it would be a thing they would pull up and check occasionally if the need arises, I think it makes sense for Tesla to free up that space for functionality that would be more useful for a larger subset of owners.
Actually, they're only there by accident and I haven't taken the time to fix it. I rarely use the phone so it's of little use to me but I can see how it would be helpful to others. Ditto with messages, and before they would automatically be read and show on the screen, so having a dedicated icon doesn't give you much.

I am one who used the trip odometer constantly; mostly because it was the best way to track your energy usage. (My previous car, an Audi A4 had a trip odometer that would automatically reset for each trip that I used constantly as well. I found it far more useful than the energy screen which I never used before and have no use for now.

The thing I noticed about the customizable apps is there was virtually nothing I really could use. Radio & bluetooth take up two spots but were just as easy (actually easier) to use when I had the music button before. Backup camera is the same as before. Among the others....toybox, arcade, browser, dash cam, calendar, theater... none of those should even be available while driving. Spotify, streaming, radio, tunein, tidal and karaoke were all easily accessible from the music button before. That leaves the backup camera, phone and messages. Great.

That's what everyone is so pissed about. There's precious little that's actually improved and a whole lot that was either made worse or simply rearranged. What's the point? On top of that, none of the improvements required any real changes at all.

Actually, they're only there by accident and I haven't taken the time to fix it. I rarely use the phone so it's of little use to me but I can see how it would be helpful to others. Ditto with messages, and before they would automatically be read and show on the screen, so having a dedicated icon doesn't give you much.

I am one who used the trip odometer constantly; mostly because it was the best way to track your energy usage. (My previous car, an Audi A4 had a trip odometer that would automatically reset for each trip that I used constantly as well. I found it far more useful than the energy screen which I never used before and have no use for now.

The thing I noticed about the customizable apps is there was virtually nothing I really could use. Radio & bluetooth take up two spots but were just as easy (actually easier) to use when I had the music button before. Backup camera is the same as before. Among the others....toybox, arcade, browser, dash cam, calendar, theater... none of those should even be available while driving. Spotify, streaming, radio, tunein, tidal and karaoke were all easily accessible from the music button before. That leaves the backup camera, phone and messages. Great.

That's what everyone is so pissed about. There's precious little that's actually improved and a whole lot that was either made worse or simply rearranged. What's the point? On top of that, none of the improvements required any real changes at all.
Well when it comes to the music app specifically I'd have to agree with you... the current iteration feels a bit half baked. It's possible the old interface for music (with a single icon) would make better use of the v11 launcher than the v11 version.

BTW, messages do still pop up on screen for me in v11 (and can be read to me the same way as v10).

Reactions: sleepydoc