Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you back that with objective facts? Because that is really the core of the debate.

I just like it less. Maybe its less safe as well. But regardless it is certainly more annoying (to me) to have to do more interactions with the display at times over what it could be.

There are multiple things sub-par things in the user interface they should take feedback on. Some pre-existing.

“Like” is subjective. You may like it; another person may not. If that was the only argument against V11 design, I would shut up.

“3 vs. 1 tap” and “one glance vs. 3 taps” are objective. There is a reason why so many jurisdictions do not allow drivers to fumble with the phone. More interaction = more distraction, no matter what Tesla demigods say. Bringing religious arguments inevitably lead to twisted logic like “no matter how distractive the interface is, you are in the safest car”. Well, I don’t want to get in a crash, even in the safest car.

I don’t get this laissez-faire attitude towards critical functions people might need to use suddenly. They affect visibility, the most critical thing for driving.
Well, visibility is important for sure, but having brakes that work is equally important. I'm so happy Tesla hasn't put the brake pedal on the screen yet. If they do in v12 I sure hope it's on the top layer ;)

Were you so busy trying to show how you are LOLing that you didn’t bother to understand what I wrote, or is it just a general lack of ability?

Go read this thread. Not wasting time on juveniles.
No need for name calling, it's all in good fun and debate, come on now... And you have no idea how old anyone is here, lets all just lighten up a bit and enjoy the most technologically advanced car on the market today. I'm not sure you're understanding what you wrote...

Reactions: whatthe2 and PACEMD
Voice commands do not work where connectivity is an issue. Happened to me 3 miles from near the Tesla factory, as it happens. Please, stop bringing up rehashed and rebutted, tired arguments.

To all: if you do not understand why a single finger press of a readily seen, readily available, critical function is better than a two or three step process, then GOOD LUCK TO YOU. Done arguing. Waste of my time teaching these young hipsters what is safe and what is not.

Experience it for yourself, and learn your lessons in life. Either hard way or the soft way. I don’t care anymore.

Bye.
I think you're missing the 'argument' here... One touch is always going to be easier than 2, 3, etc... No one is arguing that... it's the function that is the argument. What you think is 'critical' others do not... What is challenging for you, others find easy... Perhaps that is a life lesson that still needs to be learned based on your ever so kind note above. There were far more distractions on the screen before, far less now IN MY OPINION. You don't have to agree with that and that's fine (life lesson #2). Young hipsters? Far from it sir, but sure... What seems to not be safe at the moment is certain people's inability to learn and understand the UI and yet are still driving it saying it is a hazard and dangerous to others. I for one have no problem navigating the v11 UI and actually think it's a great improvement and step in the right direction. Everything is easily accessible to me. Chances are they will add customization to the features you are so passionate about and that will be great, a perfect solution for everyone. But until then, use the automation and preconditioning to make yourself a safer and less distracted driver. The experience is quite amazing.

Last edited:
This is a bit dramatic, come on... Do you not use the app to pre-condition your car? Do you use AP? None of this should be challenging at all, especially to this extreme...
Pre-condition to prevent fogging? No amount of pre-conditioning will help in sub-zero weather.
Are you referring to the AP that gets scared of overpasses and flashing lights? Nah, I will pass on using it in adverse conditions with icy/snowy roads when I need easy access to the defogger. Thanks, but no, thanks!

oh man, I started this thread and the dang thing is still going on!....should have kept my mouth shut. :)

Yeah I get it, some additional icons could be brought to the bottom to satisfy more people, but I still think some of the reactions are over the top.

As a comparison,.....my wife has a 2017 Volvo V90CC.....awesome car, hate SUV's, love the utility of wagons. But, the interface leaves something to be desired. To turn on the seat heaters, it's two taps on the interface screen, and I really have to look at it. To adjust the heat, it's two taps on the interface screen, same deal really need to look closely to adjust it. Okay, they have single real buttons for the front and rear defrosters. Sorry, I live in NH and I don't think I've ever hit those buttons since we bought the car. The radio controls....holy crap, what a pain in the ass those are. To adjust balance I need to swipe the screen in one direction or the other, can never remember, and then hit a bunch of buttons to figure it out. It makes Tesla look so incredibly better, you'd be shocked.

My point is, .....many companies are going to full screen interfaces, and the variety of quality on these designs is all over the place. Yes, some things could be better on the Tesla screen, but to me it's way more logical than it was in the past. Also, I used to hit the wrong button in the past for things like garage door opener, .....now it's larger and I don't have to reach for it.

One thing that I'm not really happy with and have turned it off, is the blind spot camera. To me it's in a bad spot, forcing you to look down when you should be looking at your mirror. Also, at night, it's useless with the glare when your blinker is on. All I need is a simple red light either in the mirror itself like most cars, or on the mirror frame. The warning needs to be near a mirror to be safer.

Looking forward to some incremental improvements on V11, but I still like it.

One thing that I'm not really happy with and have turned it off, is the blind spot camera. To me it's in a bad spot, forcing you to look down when you should be looking at your mirror. Also, at night, it's useless with the glare when your blinker is on. All I need is a simple red light either in the mirror itself like most cars, or on the mirror frame. The warning needs to be near a mirror to be safer.
It is not actually glare, there is a light leak in the earlier side camera modules due to several poorly place vias on the circuit board. Those holes in the board allow light from the blinker light-guide to blind the camera. I think it is about $400 to have Tesla swap them out if you wanted to. There is also a DIY solution on YouTube but it involves drilling into your side camera modules and then resealing, so not for the faint-of-heart.

Reactions: Tezlowski
My point is, .....many companies are going to full screen interfaces, and the variety of quality on these designs is all over the place
No disagreement there. And I would argue that Tesla’s UI had been leaps and bounds better than those designs. It’s one of the things that made a Tesla awesome!

With v11, they are still ahead, but not so much. To me, the only improvements are in stuff that was brought closer to the driver, like the map orientation button and the home link. Everything else is significantly worse. Today I noticed that the radio shelf randomly went away. Why? And when I tried to bring it back, it took over the whole screen. Then to get it to a reasonable size, I had to target a tiny button on the far right of the screen that you would never guess performs the function that it does.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Practical question. I have an issue with some podcasts not working after V11 upgrade and scheduled a mobile service. I am still under warranty but wondering if there is a warranty on the firmware upgrades. Are they going to charge me for those visits when an upgrade messes something and the car is out of warranty?

It is not actually glare, there is a light leak in the earlier side camera modules due to several poorly place vias on the circuit board. Those holes in the board allow light from the blinker light-guide to blind the camera. I think it is about $400 to have Tesla swap them out if you wanted to. There is also a DIY solution on YouTube but it involves drilling into your side camera modules and then resealing, so not for the faint-of-heart.
ahh thanks, wasn't aware. It's not worth the effort fiddling with it on my end. I like the blind side warnings in cars, but lets face it, I drove 30 years before I had a car with those warnings. I'll live.

Too funny also,....drove my wife's Volvo this weekend....and then the Model 3. Honestly the UI on the Volvo just drives me nuts, it's not logical. Then I go back in the Tesla and V11 seems totally logical to me. Maybe I'm strange??

Another funny thing......I'm driving with my wife, I've got my heated seats on auto, and I'm thinking it's great. My wife starts whining, her seat isn't hot enough. I'm like, it's on auto, so it's warm enough so it went to a lower setting. She then pulls the screen up, says she hates auto, wants it on full hot or nothing. So there you go, everyone likes something different, so good to give people options. Also, she was whining when she had to pull up the seat control from the passenger seat, she tells me she always changes all controls with voice commands.......and I thought she wasn't tech savvy??

One last point.....and maybe this is mentioned elsewhere. I pre-heated the car in the garage before we got in. From my app, both front seat heaters were on full. The car got up to temp, I got in the car first and decided to check the seat heaters. Mine is still on, lower setting.....but the passenger seat was off. I leave the screen up, my wife sits down, the seat heater goes on. So it seems, once people are in the car, that the heaters are sensing if someone is in the seat and if not, they turn off.

Needed to turn on the defogger yesterday. Was on the phone. And therefore couldn’t use voice commands. Lol.

As far as v11 being logical, please tell me the logic of moving fog lights from quick controls to the lights tab. ??? I also find it amusing that they now have a “light adjustment” card like the wipers…which shows up when you activate high beams. So the thought is…to adjust my lights quickly, I need to flash oncoming drivers first? Super logical.

For all the people saying it’s not a big deal to have to take your eyes off the road multiple times, two things come to mind:

- you guys have superhuman reflexes I wish I had
- you’re totally okay taking your eyes off the road for an extended period of time

The former seems pretty unlikely which leaves us with the latter…hopefully we are never on the road together :)

Needed to turn on the defogger yesterday. Was on the phone. And therefore couldn’t use voice commands. Lol.

As far as v11 being logical, please tell me the logic of moving fog lights from quick controls to the lights tab. ??? I also find it amusing that they now have a “light adjustment” card like the wipers…which shows up when you activate high beams. So the thought is…to adjust my lights quickly, I need to flash oncoming drivers first? Super logical.

For all the people saying it’s not a big deal to have to take your eyes off the road multiple times, two things come to mind:

- you’re totally okay taking your eyes off the road for an extended period of time

The former seems pretty unlikely which leaves us with the latter…hopefully we are never on the road together :)
1. You don’t need to flash anyone to activate headlights card. 2. Quick tap on arrow next to temp brings up you precious defog button. Lord the end is coming. I can make same argument about talking on the phone while driving also contributes to being distracted but apparently you are super human and it doesn’t effect you. Carry on.

I can't prove it, but I do have a strong suspicion that a lot of the V11 defenders are also people who think it is ok for (themselves) to text and drive (and that they think they are really good at it)...