Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The swipe feature for the tire pressure was a pain for me to execute. I actually like the new interface better. And when I first got my car (in warm weather) I seemed to be always accidentally turning on either my or my imaginary passenger's seat heater. So having it more deliberate with a swipe up and selection or voice command is also easier.

Still hate they made the gray/blue steering wheel so small though.

Reactions: rjpjnk
The swipe feature for the tire pressure was a pain for me to execute. I actually like the new interface better. And when I first got my car (in warm weather) I seemed to be always accidentally turning on either my or my imaginary passenger's seat heater. So having it more deliberate with a swipe up and selection or voice command is also easier.

That actually puts me in mind of another decision they made; the auto seat heaters, how come they are a different UI style on the same goddam screen? It goes from light grey for off and dark grey for auto on, when everything else is blue for on....

This actually made me lol.

Whilst I hated the switch from V10 to V11, like a lot of people, it really surprised me how many people seemed to drive with their tyre pressures displayed. Like, I'm annoyed that the trip card going but having near instant access to your tyre pressures wasn't needed, was it?
Reasons for constantly checking the pressure probably include a little paranoia, OCD, and those that are more conscientious about keeping their tires in top shape. Still, it didn't need to be up all the time unless a tire had a known leak, IMO. I checked once a week and where it is now is fine.
People like to customize their interface. They do not like when something is taken away without any perceived benefit for them, regardless how insignificant it seems to the wider public. That is why massive changes to UI are not a good idea, in general.
Agreed, and it looks like customization is in their agenda.
I never drove with it up all the time, but it was nice to have available to easily check from time to time. The current scheme does not really feel safe while driving (and the info is not available when not driving, mostly).
It does stay up for me. When I check, it's usually at a stoplight.

I had issues swiping for the cards at times as well. My finger touch would not register, and I'd have to try a couple times. Where it is now is actually more reliable.
That actually puts me in mind of another decision they made; the auto seat heaters, how come they are a different UI style on the same goddam screen? It goes from light grey for off and dark grey for auto on, when everything else is blue for on....
Yeah, I think they could make more (and better) use of colors on the UI, and also improve consistency. The fact that the icons are more colorful now is a good sign.

I think they are trying to create a hierarchy of functions within the hvac window. Major function (HVAC on / off?) is Blue - On / Grey - Off. Minor sub functions are Dark grey / light grey or whatever.

Apple executes this pretty well, mostly. It's sort of subtle to get it right (not really, if you know what you're doing, and take the time to think it through).

Flipping the dark-light / on-off relationships in various places around the UI really sets everyone up for maximum confusion.

I'm opposed to the whole minimalist concept. It's really easy to change the shape of the words to indicate active/ not active, if you allow your design to reference holes and bumps in surfaces (button pushed in, button pushed out).

But no, we are all only allowed to use plain text and 3 colors for everything.

Don't get me started on what this indicates with respect to current state and what happens when you hit it:

..................... On .................

This actually made me lol.

Whilst I hated the switch from V10 to V11, like a lot of people, it really surprised me how many people seemed to drive with their tyre pressures displayed. Like, I'm annoyed that the trip card going but having near instant access to your tyre pressures wasn't needed, was it?
If your tire gets a slow leak, you can get early warning before it leaks enough air that it lights the tire pressure warning light. That may give you more time to find some place safe to stop to deal with it (or get home while watching when to stop to add air to the tire to make it home without it getting too low).

However, the tire pressure and other cards that could be at the bottom left of the V10 display need not have been so big, or a card that big could have had more than one of them showing at the same time.

Reactions: 306 Megajoules
I'm opposed to the whole minimalist concept. It's really easy to change the shape of the words to indicate active/ not active, if you allow your design to reference holes and bumps in surfaces (button pushed in, button pushed out).
Let’s not confuse minimalist with Spartan. It is very easy to remove stuff, make it “simple”, etc. it is super hard to make something minimalist - simple, yet functional, intuitive and visually pleasing
I would put V11 in the “Spartan” category.

Reactions: Sporty and OxBrew
Let’s not confuse minimalist with Spartan. It is very easy to remove stuff, make it “simple”, etc. it is super hard to make something minimalist - simple, yet functional, intuitive and visually pleasing
I would put V11 in the “Spartan” category.
If you define minimalist as simple, works well, that's great. I still think minimalist (flat), as executed by Apple and Microsoft and others, is a failure. I'm not saying go back to iOS 6 with it's fully rendered buttons and wheels, but just a bit more heuristic capability, give everyone some visual clues that words are buttons, dials can spin; still elegant and clean, sure.

The flat UI fad is getting stale, I think we're getting toward the end of it, and something better will evolve.

v11 is still in a class by itself, whatever you want to call it.

When I said 'stay up' I meant the info, not the card. I see no need to have the card up all the time.
neither do I, but I can see how for those that want the card there, the old UI allowed you to do that without making it completely impossible to use any other function on the screen, and that's valuable for those who wanted/needed to have the card up at all times.

neither do I, but I can see how for those that want the card there, the old UI allowed you to do that without making it completely impossible to use any other function on the screen, and that's valuable for those who wanted/needed to have the card up at all times.
As much as I agree that the ability to always display info on certain parts of screen should be made possible, I'd rather it be optional than permanent. I see apps likely solving that issue.

This is one of my favorite sayings and it applies to this thread. 8B04A605-C3B5-4174-A2DC-E409F085AC42.jpeg

I like the new Homelink buttons. The old ones were tiny and hard to reach. I kept hitting the wrong one -- not any more.

And I didn't like the old tire pressure and trips display. I always ended up swiping multiple times to make it work, and then got the wrong one. And with trips you always had to scroll. But they really do need decimal points on the trip meters.

I like the new Homelink buttons. The old ones were tiny and hard to reach. I kept hitting the wrong one -- not any more.

And I didn't like the old tire pressure and trips display. I always ended up swiping multiple times to make it work, and then got the wrong one. And with trips you always had to scroll. But they really do need decimal points on the trip meters.
Not to say you're wrong or disagree, just sharing my experience with the cards: I'm 56, and I figured them out w/o instructions. Saw the 3 dots, thought hmmm, what's left or right, found the cards, figured out what scrolled and what didn't.

One time accidentally spun the car, then learned where to swipe.

Still on v10, still find the cards useful, still never have trouble with them.

I've seen a lot of people defend dumping those cards because they missed the swipe a lot. Just offering that I had a different experience with them.

I can't say I'll really miss them, sounds like the other ways to get the information are fine. I will miss the 1/10th place in the trip odo, will be the first car in my life I've seen without that resolution. Used it to get to our cabin, and create directions to random camping spots out in the woods, ALL THE TIME. Every summer. Beyond all networks. FSD peeps with no steering wheels will never be able to catch me, I'll always be able to escape.
🤣🤣🤣