Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have no substance to your argument... nor is there any added value if you're trying to debate your point...

If someone never uses their seat heater, why do they need it within 1-tap when they could use that space for something else that they actually use?

The whole smoke show about "2-taps is going to cause me to crash" in a car WITH THE MOST ADVANCED SELF DRIVING SYSTEM AVAILABLE IN THE WORLD, is comical at best... come on... and if you really cared about safety then you would admit that allowing drivers to customize what they use most in those '1-tap' spaces is much safer. But it's not about that right? It's about trying to belittle other people's opinions.
THe car with the most advanced driving system in the world almost put me in the ditch today. Thank God I was paying attention and wasn’t distracted by the interface. Your argument that ’the car is so good it doesn’t matter if you’re distracted’ is nonsensical.

Whatever, the point is this: a car’s UI needs a different mindset than a smartphone. You need to make the buttons bigger, because the screen is jumping around due to potholes or whatever. You have to make critical functions available at the touch of an icon. No two step or three step processes.

Aldo, stop nickeling and dimeing, and put a $5 rain sensor for the wipers already. The freakin things haven’t learnt anything in 4 years, being ‘neural net’ and all that.

Get fundamentals to work reliably. side cameras that come on every time car is put in reverse. Auto fold mirrors that always reliably unfold. Homelink that works reliably all the time. Seat heaters that work reliably in auto mode. Headlights that turn on high beam reliably.

Just hire some ergonomics experts and get a better Q&A team. Fire the incompetent current UI team.

😌😌😌

Part of the difficulty here is we're talking about the same UI that renders itself differently across the fleet. For example my car has no support for automated seat heaters or automated high beams it has no autopilot or cameras. It does have rain sensing windshield wipers who's operation seems to have remained fairly consistent in V11. So what I see and get on the screen can and does often differ considerably from what a Model 3 or the current S or X owner will see in a landscape orientation.

The cards that I hear people speaking of on their screens don't exist on my display. It's just a garbled conversation where people are experiencing different difficulties and everyone involved is associating it with how their own car behaves, forgetting that this interface is across the fleet in vehicles with various hardware configurations.

Reactions: kavyboy and PACEMD
Part of the difficulty here is we're talking about the same UI that renders itself differently across the fleet. For example my car has no support for automated seat heaters or automated high beams it has no autopilot or cameras. It does have rain sensing windshield wipers who's operation seems to have remained fairly consistent in V11. So what I see and get on the screen can and does often differ considerably from what a Model 3 or the current S or X owner will see in a landscape orientation.

The cards that I hear people speaking of on their screens don't exist on my display. It's just a garbled conversation where people are experiencing different difficulties and everyone involved is associating it with how their own car behaves, forgetting that this interface is across the fleet in vehicles with various hardware configurations.

Your Model S received the V11 update? That’s interesting.

My 2013 Model S hasn’t received it yet. That’s good I suppose. I wonder if Tesla should stop updating the older cars.

Your Model S received the V11 update? That’s interesting.

My 2013 Model S hasn’t received it yet. That’s good I suppose. I wonder if Tesla should stop updating the older cars.

Several that I know have not moved to V11 as of yet. Two friends of mine owning both a 2013 and a 2014 have not. But they are still running hardware one or, MCU1. I didn't get it either until I upgraded to hardware two "MCU2 and suddenly I'm receiving the same updates as current production cars and my screen looks entirely different than it did when I had hardware one.

Tesla's updates often seem to introduce glitches in some cars while fixing glitches in others. The seat heaters for me are particularly annoying since my car does not support automated operation. Seat heaters are saved in the user profile so they will come back to their last setting on the next drive. But now I have no way to glance at the screen and see if they are on without digging into menus, which can leave me heating seats that are unoccupied without knowing.

On my old hardware updates were very few and far between and offered little to no benefit. But after moving to hardware two, I now have everything that the new cars have "of course limited to what the hardware in my car can support" but that notwithstanding my display now is the same. But it also comes with a new set of glitches bugs and idiosyncrasies that you probably haven't seen "to date" in your car. Welcome to Tesla. 🤣

I'm currently on 2022.8.3

I really love having a car that gets updates! Are other manufacturers providing over the air updates yet? It’s just so cool.👍
Initially, I was in the same camp, assuming that updates, overall, have a positive trend. I guess, I was influenced by software companies like Apple. Now, given Tesla track record, I am not so sure.

Initially, I was in the same camp, assuming that updates, overall, have a positive trend. I guess, I was influenced by software companies like Apple. Now, given Tesla track record, I am not so sure.
hmm .. since I get my M3 3 years ago I've had dozens of new features added via software updates:

-- Performance boost
-- Regen braking down to 0MPH and brake hold for true one pedal driving
-- Far better road visualizations (more lanes, dashed lane lines, traffic signals, traffic cones etc etc).
-- Green traffic light chime
-- Smart summon
-- Better auto park including parking in spaces based on space markings only
-- Range boost by 5% (twice)
-- Backup camera includes side repeaters
-- In-car dashcam and sentry event viewer
-- Blind spot cameras during lane changes/turns
-- Navigation waypoints
-- Per-profile home/work addresses
-- Dashcam auto save and save on honk
-- Enhanced phone app with more remote control options
-- Remote camera monitoring from parked car on phone app
-- Text messaging for phones
-- Glovebox PIN
-- Regular map updates (other cars I've had charge annual fees for this)
-- Supercharger usage availability details on maps
-- Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ streaming, also TIDAL music streaming
-- Car wash mode
-- Numerous games
-- Light Show

And that list is just from memory. I'd say overall that was pretty impressive overall. Anyone like to chime in on what they have seen from other car makers? And let's NOT go down the "they should have shipped that feature in the first place" because if you follow that argument to its conclusion then you are saying there should never be a need for software update AT ALL.

hmm .. since I get my M3 3 years ago I've had dozens of new features added via software updates:

-- Performance boost
-- Far better road visualizations (more lanes, dashed lane lines, traffic signals, traffic cones etc etc).
-- Smart summon
-- Navigation waypoints
-- Glovebox PIN
-- Car wash mode
-- Numerous games
-- Light Show

And that list is just from memory. I'd say overall that was pretty impressive overall. Anyone like to chime in on what they have seen from other car makers? And let's NOT go down the "they should have shipped that feature in the first place" because if you follow that argument to its conclusion then you are saying there should never be a need for software update AT ALL.
Nice write up pretty good for a company that just wants your money. 👍 can't say I've had anything added to a car in my 34 years of driving after I purchased it.

-- Performance boost
-- Smart summon
-- Navigation waypoints
-- Glovebox PIN
-- Car wash mode
-- Numerous games
-- Light Show

I agree with your list but would add the following distinction/notes -
Some of the improvements you listed are either frivolous or features that are considered standard features on every car on the market (e.g. locking the glove box, light show, Hulu.) I would gladly get rid of all the games, the light show and video streaming to have a better UI and when I see these items it annoys me that they spend more time on games than they do getting the UI right.

Also, human psychology is such that we tend to remember more recent events and negative events more strongly than more distant positive ones.

I got my MY in July 2020. With each software update they successively added features and otherwise improved the car and interface. Many were small things, like car wash mode, but they were useful improvements. Then I got V11 and they took a big step backwards. Now when I think of a software update from Tesla I don't think 'cool! what new feature do I get now?' Instead I think 'will this one be better or worse? Are they going to fix what they broke or break more things?'

-- Performance boost
-- Smart summon
-- Navigation waypoints
-- Glovebox PIN
-- Car wash mode
-- Numerous games
-- Light Show

Wow! You're right. I forgot how many there were. It is definitely exciting to know that my car gets new features even though it's no longer new.
I would add to your list subwoofer level control, which the Model Y didn't use to have. Looking forward to the additional icons soon.

I am scratching my head to find what were the improvements on legacy MS for the past 2 years. More aggressive regen (which I really like but other cars have that configurable anyway) and Sonic The Hedgehog come to mind. What am I missing?
I have a feeling that it has been mostly moving stuff around, fixing bugs and introducing new bugs…

Reactions: tccartier