Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scratching my head to find what were the improvements on legacy MS for the past 2 years. More aggressive regen (which I really like but other cars have that configurable anyway) and Sonic The Hedgehog come to mind. What am I missing?
I have a feeling that it has been mostly moving stuff around, fixing bugs and introducing new bugs…

I would agree spot on. Also another thing that I think is often overlooked is that many of these updates and over the air improvements so to speak, are features that have been on other cars for decades. Kind of makes me wonder why the car couldn't have had these features from day one. For instance automatic headlamp dimming. That's a feature that I had on my 1960 Lincoln premier. Rain sensing wipers have been around since the mid to late seventies. An equalizer that allows you to control bass boost etc etc.

So they sell me a car and then convince me that the features that they're giving me at some point down the road are a great thing. When in all actuality the car should have come with those features to begin with.

At the end of the day I really have no new features, I only have different ways to access and control the hardware that the car already has. And as you stated stuff is moved around on the screen.

Reactions: Boza
I would agree spot on. Also another thing that I think is often overlooked is that many of these updates and over the air improvements so to speak, are features that have been on other cars for decades. Kind of makes me wonder why the car couldn't have had these features from day one. For instance automatic headlamp dimming. That's a feature that I had on my 1960 Lincoln premier. Rain sensing wipers have been around since the mid to late seventies. An equalizer that allows you to control bass boost etc etc.

So they sell me a car and then convince me that the features that they're giving me at some point down the road are a great thing. When in all actuality the car should have come with those features to begin with.

At the end of the day I really have no new features, I only have different ways to access and control the hardware that the car already has. And as you stated stuff is moved around on the screen.
They released an MVP (Minimum Viable Product), because that's all they could do with the resources they had.

Then brilliantly sold (re-framed) their weakness/lack of features as "your car is always improving," and that's better than anything else.

Once they hit parity with the bulk of the market, it's actually true, when executed well.

Classic tech strategy, allowed them to dominate the EV space, and work on the hard part first: batteries, charging networks, range. Many of us just wanted to get off the oil spigot, and are willing to sacrifice a lot for that.

On balance, Teslas are brilliantly designed. Yes, some less than perfect updates have been frustrating, but seems like it's close to back where it should be.

They released an MVP (Minimum Viable Product), because that's all they could do with the resources they had.

Then brilliantly sold (re-framed) their weakness/lack of features as "your car is always improving," and that's better than anything else.

Once they hit parity with the bulk of the market, it's actually true, when executed well.

Classic tech strategy, allowed them to dominate the EV space, and work on the hard part first: batteries, charging networks, range. Many of us just wanted to get off the oil spigot, and are willing to sacrifice a lot for that.

On balance, Teslas are brilliantly designed. Yes, some less than perfect updates have been frustrating, but seems like it's close to back where it should be.
Great synopsis, definitely agree overall.

If you haven't seen Elon's Ted Talk, it adds some perspective to the process we've been have such 'fun' debate over. Timelines, FSD, AI... all of it... Really all one ongoing research project...

THat’s the thing - even with their flaws they’re still among the best if not the best EVs available. That doesn’t make it any less frustrating when they botch basic things that every other maker gets right, though.

THat’s the thing - even with their flaws they’re still among the best if not the best EVs available. That doesn’t make it any less frustrating when they botch basic things that every other maker gets right, though.
Partially agree... wouldn't necessarily say every other maker gets it right, at all. Quite the opposite... Everyone just forgets quickly with the others. There have be WAY more significant issues with others...

1651069060215.png

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not defending the legacy makers or trying to argue that they’re perfect. Most of them have spent their entire existence showing they’re not! My daughter has a 2015 Camry and even with all its flaws, the V11 interface still beats it hands down. That’s more a testament to how bad other makers’ UIs are, though.

My continuing frustration with V11 is how many fundamental UI concepts it got wrong and how much of a step back it was from V10. Just yesterday I was backing my car out of the garage and wanted to stop Homelink from automatically closing the garage door. They made the Homelink button larger and easier to reach (good) but it was promptly covered up by another notification so I couldn’t see or access it. WTF??? Missteps like this are abundant in V11 and make it seem like it was a freshman assignment that they had to turn in before midnight.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not defending the legacy makers or trying to argue that they’re perfect. Most of them have spent their entire existence showing they’re not! My daughter has a 2015 Camry and even with all its flaws, the V11 interface still beats it hands down. That’s more a testament to how bad other makers’ UIs are, though.

My continuing frustration with V11 is how many fundamental UI concepts it got wrong and how much of a step back it was from V10. Just yesterday I was backing my car out of the garage and wanted to stop Homelink from automatically closing the garage door. They made the Homelink button larger and easier to reach (good) but it was promptly covered up by another notification so I couldn’t see or access it. WTF??? Missteps like this are abundant in V11 and make it seem like it was a freshman assignment that they had to turn in before midnight.
Yeah, I had the full HVAC panel open to adjust the fan (only took a second or less) then hit the turn signals, and the blind spot camera is buried by the HVAC. Had to touch up high to dismiss the HVAC. I just quietly said whatever.

Putting the camera up high would solve that, and then you don't have to decide which gets the focus in that moment.

I have no idea why all notifications are at the bottom, and they don't stack up like before. No advantages, only drawbacks.

(I actually like the blind spot camera, even down low. Could be better, but I'm glancing all around anyway, easy enough to check it too)

My daughter has a 2015 Camry and even with all its flaws, the V11 interface still beats it hands down. That’s more a testament to how bad other makers’ UIs are, though.

My continuing frustration with V11 is how many fundamental UI concepts it got wrong and how much of a step back it was from V10.
Yeah, Toyota doesn't even pretend to try to keep up. I love my Toyotas but their UI and software came over on the Mayflower. Original Pilgrimware. Do you not like the new Tesla UI?

Reactions: Tezlowski
I would not even come close to wanting the blind-spot image larger or in a different location. For me, that would really really suck. I use it as I have always used side mirrors, only it's better. So if Tesla takes advice from some they piss off many others. Hey, it's a rough world. But we're strong. We can do this. I'm just glad mankind of the past never had to face such overwhelming challenges.

Reactions: Tezlowski
So if Tesla takes advice from some they piss off many others. Hey, it's a rough world. But we're strong. We can do this. I'm just glad mankind of the past never had to face such overwhelming challenges.
That is exactly the problem....nonetheless I would like to get my hands on the people who complained that regen is too strong...I use my brakes all the time now 😡

I would not even come close to wanting the blind-spot image larger or in a different location. For me, that would really really suck. I use it as I have always used side mirrors, only it's better. So if Tesla takes advice from some they piss off many others. Hey, it's a rough world. But we're strong. We can do this. I'm just glad mankind of the past never had to face such overwhelming challenges.
Why wouldn't you want the blind-spot image higher than where it is right now though? I've found the blind-spot image to be very useful, but about half the time my right hand is blocking it so I have to move my hand in order to see it. It's fine and doesn't really bother me, but if that image was toward the top of the screen or blown up and on the map side, I don't think I'd ever have to move my right hand to see it.

Reactions: PACEMD
Why wouldn't you want the blind-spot image higher than where it is right now though? I've found the blind-spot image to be very useful, but about half the time my right hand is blocking it so I have to move my hand in order to see it. It's fine and doesn't really bother me, but if that image was toward the top of the screen or blown up and on the map side, I don't think I'd ever have to move my right hand to see it.
Exactly....a larger image you can see the situation at a glance...the small (awkwardly placed) image you have to study...

Reactions: OliverM3
That is exactly the problem....nonetheless I would like to get my hands on the people who complained that regen is too strong...I use my brakes all the time now 😡
Regen does seem a bit weaker but I still almost never use the brakes. We ain't all the same, are we? And therein lies the problem......Except know this, I'm always right and everyone else wrong.........that just goes without saying.....

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: ianc and Tezlowski
I’d like the blind spot image to appear over on top of the map...and be bigger...the idea of a blind spot camera is to give maximum information as quickly as possible....the present image you to have turn and look down plus the very small image is hard to decipher
I find the blind spot camera fairly useless and have actually disabled it but I agree with your sentiment. Placing it down low makes it difficult to see and it's frequently obscured by your hands.

The main thing I used the camera was as an easy way to know when FSD activated the turn signal but for some reason I had a hard time figuring out which turn signal was on when the image was underneath it. They move the green blinker arrows closer to the center of the screen with V11 but they're still far enough over that it shouldn't be an issue but for whatever reason I find it easer to distinguish with the blind spot monitor off. 🤷‍♂️

Just got 2022.12.3.1. After playing with it for a bit I don't need any of those buttons down there. Nice that I can customize it though.
I thought I would put the wipers down there but it's faster pressing the stalk to bring up the controls rather than fumbling with the touchscreen twice.
I'm sure I'll find something I want down there but for now everything seems good the way it is.