Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOS please help, difference between tesla app reported net power export and what PGE bill says

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

i am seeing a substantial difference (on certain days) between what the APP says it exported to the grid and what PGE says it received.
Please see attached plot and data below. This has been going on for a while.
please help me understand this.

regards
BK

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 115
Wow those variances are severe...

Couple of quick questions to try and understand the situation.

1) Do you have any home loads that are not on the backed up side (like the loads are connected somewhere between your Energy Gateway and your PG&E meter)?

2) Which data point do you believe is right? That is, how confident are you that on September 11, 2021 that you were actually a net exporter (per Tesla) vs. a net consumer of energy (per PG&E)?

hey Holeydonut

1. first off, great question. Yes some exterior lights and one AC unit is not on the backed up side. Having said that, when i turn on those loads, the app shows the uptick and it seems like it is accounting for the whole home load (and not just the backed up side). My observation, but i could be wrong.

2. I believe the tesla generation is correct. This has been happening since april, I've seen it on the sunniest of days, plenty of generation, (which you can see in the data)so i personally think something isn't wired up right here.

Good info, thanks!

It sounds like your installer did meter the non-backup loads so they're included in what is tracked as a "home load" even if it's not a backed up load. I guess if you could make sure by seeing the kW consumption spike up when your AC(s) are active that'd be great to confirm. Although it'd be hard for ACs to be the culprit behind a sometimes 60 kWh per day variance in your dataset.

It's almost like someone started charging an EV at your house without telling you beginning in June lol.

I think it's kind of unlikely that a PG&E meter could actually be sending faulty data back (like it makes more sense for the meter to fail outright, than for the meter to report bad data). But at this point, it makes sense to ask PG&E to confirm their meter reading since it seems to differ from your expectation.

If you're looking for an independent dataset, you can get one of those energy monitor devices (eg Sense or Emporia Vue). This could give you a better idea to learn if the issue is the meter or some mystery drain in your house that the Tesla app may be missing. There are other brands of energy monitoring; I just know these two off the top of my head.

1. first off, great question. Yes some exterior lights and one AC unit is not on the backed up side. Having said that, when i turn on those loads, the app shows the uptick and it seems like it is accounting for the whole home load (and not just the backed up side). My observation, but i could be wrong.
You should check the live values from your smartmeter display versus the app grid energy while you are not running the non-backed up loads, and then with the AC on and then with your exterior lights on. My guess is that something is wrong with the measurement of the non-backed up loads and that is what is causing the problems.

I had a similar problem and a technician visit was able to correct it. Now my numbers are very accurate with PG&E's green button numbers. Except of course for the NBC raw import numbers that are based a 5 or 15 minute interval versus the apps 1 hour intervals.