TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sound dampening doors - did installers make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by thnp, Mar 23, 2016.

1. thnp

thnp Member

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I had my standard sound system upgraded (front speaker kit w/ amp + NVX B.O.O.S.T-kit), and I had the installers add some sound dampening material to the doors while they were at it...

After seeing pictures of the install with the door covers off, I remembered someone mentioning that one should cut the mats to allow for the water to pass through from top->bottom, especially around the door-handle area...

But I don't know for sure, and if it isn't really required I won't go through the hassle of having it fixed... What do you guys (and gals) think?

PS: The new sound is insane! I'll put it like this: Teslas HIFI-package is twice as good as the standard system, and this is twice as good as the HIFI :)

NVX B.O.O.S.T
    DLS Reference CC-2
    Focal 165KR front-kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zambono

zambono Member

I can't comment on the dampening, but is that like an inch of MDF for the mounting bracket? Has anybody thought of 3D printing these instead.

3. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

No one needs that much damping. Also aluminum doesn't really needs as much damping as steel anyway.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Looking forward to your comparison before and after hopefully with an SPL meter.

With my meter, I've found the doors, excluding glass and seals, already one of the quietest parts of the car. We really need a lot more sound dampening in the wheel wells.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

MDF will swell and disintegrate in the doors when exposed to moisture.

The damping does not allow access to several access hole (covers) and will need to be peeled off in places when the door handles fail and need their microswitches replaced. Maybe Tesla will charge extra labor for that?