Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound dampening project & comparison of P85+ vs P85D Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently had to take my P85+ (Panoramic roof, 21 inch turbines , UHF sound system) in for some warranty work and was lent a P85D (metal roof, 19 inch slipstreams, regular sound system).

Was shocked at how lack luster the regular sound system was in the loaner.

I also made me realize how much road noise and random interior squeaks an creaks I get with the panoramic roof and turbines (I knew what I was getting into with those two options).

The P85D loaner was amazingly much quieter (very fun even though it was only Insane and limited to 85mph). Definitely as quiet or quieter than any BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti's I've driven.

Was already planning on adding some extra sound dampening but this definitely gave me the extra push to.

Shopping list:

Sound dampening material - https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK

Panel tool kit - https://www.amazon.com/Miayon-Panel-Dashboard-Dismantle-Installer/dp/B00D7XNQHG

Roller - https://www.amazon.com/uxcell®-Deadener-Application-Rolling-Roller/dp/B00GMOI98S

So today tackled the panoramic roof cross bar and rear hatch and trunk today.

All I can say is WOW to how much of a difference some strategically placed bits of sound dampening can make. Eliminated the panoramic cross bar random squeak & creaks, lower level of road noise from the trunk, and well and clearer sound from the speakers in the hatch.

Also only managed to break 3 clips out of the whole trunk tear down!! LOL

Tackling the door panels and front cabin tomorrow.

Will take photos of the tear down and install tomorrow. Was too busy trying to make it on time to watch the McGregor v Mayweather fight to take pics of the trunk and hatch except for this one
IMG_3524.JPG

As promised pics of the doors. I used some trader joe's paper bags to make templates. Didn't want to go overboard with the dampening. So I left access to all the bolts etc. I still have more than enough left over to do the whole car over again including the floor. Maybe if i do the folding mirror retrofit I'll go back and recover everything.

I still want to do the front section of the panoramic roof by the visors as I always hear some squeaks and creaks from that area.

The results: The cabin is so much quieter. Doors make a much more solid sound when being shut. The UHF sound system sound seems much tighter and crisp. No more random rattling, squeaks, creaks coming from the doors (only the aforementioned visor area). The road noise from the 21 inch turbines & tires are the only things that stand out at normal and highway speeds. Tires will be due in a month or so to get replaced so may switch to the ones with the acoustic foam in them.

I recommend studying youtube videos on the door panel removal and trunk tear down. Made tear down and reassembly easy and lowered the chance of breaking or losing any clips.

OfzWOWv.jpg
TrhBnJn.jpg
heo0jNl.jpg

Side note it also made me want to retrofit the next gen seats. So much better than the "performance" seats in mine.

I also had a P85+ for three years and loved every second of it.

If you're going down this route with the next gen seats which can cost $6k or more... You might want to consider doing what I did -- trading up to an early P85D with the P85+ suspension. You'll get a much newer build car (vins in the 60000s) with better build quality, Autopilot 1, dual motors, next gen seats (front and rear possibly). There are some really good deals, and once you consider the price of just upgrading the seats, the differential between what you can sell the P85+ for and getting a CPO P85D, it becomes almost a no-brainer to add AP1, "Insane Mode", dual motors, etc for $15k or so. The only downside is losing half the frunk space.

I also had a P85+ for three years and loved every second of it.

If you're going down this route with the next gen seats which can cost $6k or more... You might want to consider doing what I did -- trading up to an early P85D with the P85+ suspension. You'll get a much newer build car (vins in the 60000s) with better build quality, Autopilot 1, dual motors, next gen seats (front and rear possibly). There are some really good deals, and once you consider the price of just upgrading the seats, the differential between what you can sell the P85+ for and getting a CPO P85D, it becomes almost a no-brainer to add AP1, "Insane Mode", dual motors, etc for $15k or so. The only downside is losing half the frunk space.

I've been tempted but I love my P85+. I think it will eventually be one of those cars that marks a significant step in EV evolution and history. I've already decided that it's a keeper like my 91' S13 240sx.

Probably wait a few years and pick up what ever the newest iteration of the P100D or top of the line performance/motor/battery pack/autopilot combo is.

Recently had to take my P85+ (Panoramic roof, 21 inch turbines , UHF sound system) in for some warranty work and was lent a P85D (metal roof, 19 inch slipstreams, regular sound system).

Was shocked at how lack luster the regular sound system was in the loaner.

I also made me realize how much road noise and random inte
o View attachment 243975

Sooo MUCH plastic.. can believe they actually use DOUBLE STICK TAPE!! and stick on velcro!!! that stuff never lasts for more thAn a couple years .. if that!! so sad. Hundai quality there.. if that!

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I appreciate I appreciate all your pictures and step by step tear-downs I will be doing a similar project myself and this will help! More information the better :) I wouldn't think there would be that big effect with sticking acoustic Matt to plastic.

in addition to in addition to that I will probably be using that fluffy material thick felt type stuff

I appreciate I appreciate all your pictures and step by step tear-downs I will be doing a similar project myself and this will help! More information the better :) I wouldn't think there would be that big effect with sticking acoustic Matt to plastic.

in addition to in addition to that I will probably be using that fluffy material thick felt type stuff

Cuts down on the plastic rattle and gets rid of the flimsy sound that you get when you bump into it getting in and out of the car. Couldn't stand that sound. On newer production # cars they use poly fill style mat in the spots where I but the acoustic mat down.

@HankLloydRight, how can I tell if my P85D is a + suspension?

@battleroyale, wish I were as handy as you are. Agree on the sound system; I couldn't justify the additional $2.5k back in late-2014 for the sound system upgrade and that's been my only regret with my green beast. That amount did go halfway towards the Ludicrous upgrade last year though. ;)

Thanks! It's a pretty easy job. I've done it tons of times from back in my Honda & Nissan days. Just gotta have the right tools, some patience, and definitely study youtube videos and photos online so you don't destroy anything while you're taking things apart. LOL

@HankLloydRight, how can I tell if my P85D is a + suspension?

Check out this thread that goes into great detail about figuring out if a car has the + suspension. Based only on your VIN, I would think the chances are high:

Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

If you look at the option codes from car image on the "My Tesla" page and look for option code PX01 in the URL, that's also a pretty good indicator.

Check the builder date inside the driver door. P85Ds were launched mid-October 2014. The + Suspension continued from then into early 2015. March? Staggered 21s also went with the + suspension at that time. If it is squared tires (245s) it is probably not a +.

There are lots of examples of people getting 19" rims and the + suspension on early P85Ds, as well as non-staggered rims. There are also some cars before April, 2015 that don't have the + suspension. So there's actually no hard-and-fast rule to use to figure it out. The only way for sure is to get on the ground and look at the part numbers on the front adjustable shocks (see thread above). The one thing we do know is that May 2015 and later cars definitely do NOT have the + suspension. October, 2014 through April, 2015 there's a good, but not definite chance.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Great thread! Has anybody attempted additional sound proofing, either as a DIY project or with a professional installer, on newer, post-refresh Model S?

there are a couple of threads floating around for refreshed model s'. A lot of rattling from the b pillar camera wiring. Most if not all the interior & door panels have the same removal process. You'll probably find more sound dampening in yours compared to my late 13 P85+. Its improved some what in the high production # cars.

Reactions: avesraggiana
there are a couple of threads floating around for refreshed model s'. A lot of rattling from the b pillar camera wiring. Most if not all the interior & door panels have the same removal process. You'll probably find more sound dampening in yours compared to my late 13 P85+. Its improved some what in the high production # cars.

Thanks. My 75D was delivered in March 2017. No rattles anywhere, thankfully. The car is tomb quiet up to about 50 mph. Above that, I’m surprised at how much tyre noise gets in on all but the smoothest surfaces, and wind rush noise becomes quite pronounced. I suppose there’s not much that can be done about the windows.

Thanks. My 75D was delivered in March 2017. No rattles anywhere, thankfully. The car is tomb quiet up to about 50 mph. Above that, I’m surprised at how much tyre noise gets in on all but the smoothest surfaces, and wind rush noise becomes quite pronounced. I suppose there’s not much that can be done about the windows.

I've got 21 inch turbines and pano roof. Tons of wind and tire noise compared to the P85D loaner I had with solid roof and 19 inch cyclones. Nothing much to be done about that except turn up the music LOL.

I had big multi piece work wheels on my Q45 and originally put max performance summer tires on them. Once they wore out I put all seasons on cut road noise in half if not more.

My turbines are staggered so no all-season for me :( just the super sports with the sound dampening foam in them.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I think this is a project I want to go with especially since I changed my back tires to Falkens. I have never taken the molding off my car before excuse the question if it is weird but what what made you chose the pieces and places you went with in soundproofing your car? Why not just slab a big piece on and call it a day? Again, forgive my ignorance.

I think this is a project I want to go with especially since I changed my back tires to Falkens. I have never taken the molding off my car before excuse the question if it is weird but what what made you chose the pieces and places you went with in soundproofing your car? Why not just slab a big piece on and call it a day? Again, forgive my ignorance.

Good question. For the doors I didn't want to cover up anything what would be a hassle to get at if something needed to get worked on inside the doors. I just tried to be strategic with where I put sound dampening. I also tried and isolate areas where there was legit noise. I think a little can go a long way.

I still get noise from the headliner area by the sun visors, the dash top, and rear hatch lid. The rear hatch lid and top of the dash are probably the worst on the older cars. All spots I haven't covered in sound dampening in.

On my late 13 production P85+ lightly press on the top of the dash you get all kinds of squeaks and rattles, rear hatch lid tons of squeaks and rattles while driving, tap the plastic and you get an echoing plasticky rattle, the headliner gets occasional squeaks and rattles out of nowhere too.

I am currently driving a 100D loaner with glass roof. 1000% quieter headliner, top of the dash, and rear hatch lid.
Just to compare I pressed down on the top of the dash no sound at all, minimal if any squeaks or rattles from the rear hatch, tapped around the plastic of the rear hatch you get less of a flimsy plastic sound, and no noise from the headliner what so ever.