Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Deadening Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the update of this setup as far as rough roads and freeways at high speeds? Has sound truly been nullified to be considered "normal"? I am looking to have this done to my car as well sometime. Also, was it difficult to disconnect the 12V battery or just the same as ICE cars before removing the sub and amp? Any issues when connecting sub, amp, and 12V back in?
I’d have to say road noise at highway speeds are tolerable. It’s improved from stock but still isn’t a BMW. Most of the road noise is from the tires traveling up to the suspension towers. I didn’t disconnect the 12V but the poster below had some issues with his computer. To be on safe side, the 12V disconnect is under the back seat and is easy to do.

Reactions: Azgood
I’d have to say road noise at highway speeds are tolerable. It’s improved from stock but still isn’t a BMW. Most of the road noise is from the tires traveling up to the suspension towers. I didn’t disconnect the 12V but the poster below had some issues with his computer. To be on safe side, the 12V disconnect is under the back seat and is easy to do.
Gotcha. As quiet as I can make the car with minimal work without going overboard with sound proofing, the better. I would like to get the floors done too at least. So to be on the safe side, Power down the car, disconnect the 12V disconnect under the seats, then safely remove the amp and sub. No errors after connecting the 12V disconnect cable under the seats? Just trying to be careful here.

Gotcha. As quiet as I can make the car with minimal work without going overboard with sound proofing, the better. I would like to get the floors done too at least. So to be on the safe side, Power down the car, disconnect the 12V disconnect under the seats, then safely remove the amp and sub. No errors after connecting the 12V disconnect cable under the seats? Just trying to be careful here.
I agree it doesnt hurt to just be safe with disconnecting the 12v battery as it takes maybe 5 mins to do. I maybe the exception with my computer shorting but would hate for someone to have to deal with the hassle.

In my personal opinion, sound dampening the trunk did help quiet down road noise over certain types of road. I used about about 30sq feet of 80mil material to do the trunk and rear wheels.

I agree it doesnt hurt to just be safe with disconnecting the 12v battery as it takes maybe 5 mins to do. I maybe the exception with my computer shorting but would hate for someone to have to deal with the hassle.

In my personal opinion, sound dampening the trunk did help quiet down road noise over certain types of road. I used about about 30sq feet of 80mil material to do the trunk and rear wheels.
kilomat would be my choice followed by noico red 150 mil sound insulation over it to block out noise.

What I do want to say is music and bass response with the deadened trunk sounds awesome. Bass hits very clean with no distortion or rattling.

Now Tesla did release the update to allow you to independently tune your sub. I don’t have a baseline to know if it’s all due to the adjustability of the sub volumes or sound deadening. But music sounds stellar currently.

Reactions: enemji and Azgood
What I do want to say is music and bass response with the deadened trunk sounds awesome. Bass hits very clean with no distortion or rattling.

Now Tesla did release the update to allow you to independently tune your sub. I don’t have a baseline to know if it’s all due to the adjustability of the sub volumes or sound deadening. But music sounds stellar currently.
I have some leftover noico and killmat. What should I do with it? I haven't used any on the 3 yet. What would you do first?

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for this thread as it gave me lots of ideas
I spend a couple days off and on sound deadening my 2019 sr+ mostly with "Sound Deadener/ Sound Deadening Material - Stage 1"

I did
External front wheel wells
Internal rear wheel wells
Floors and front doors
Boot
RPM seals

It has made a great difference take this car that sounds like a tin can to a much nicer sounding vehicle and couldn't believe how noisy this vehicle was when I first got it

Thanks again