Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Deadening Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to start doing some sound deadening in the model 3. It's been 10 years since I last took on a big project like this, so I may not do the entire car like last time.

10 Years ago I used RAAMAT butyl then covered in ensolite (closed cell foam). Sound and vibration reduction was a huge improvement, but it was allot of work and no way to remove the stuff.

Today I am reading in some places that closed cell foam does nothing found sound reduction (only to stop rattling of panels), but I'm not sure I believe it from prior experience.

The wonder product these days seems to be MLV Mass loaded Vinyl. But I read that it should not be applied directly to sheet metal? (why not?)
Products | Sound Deadener Showdown

I have some used neoprene (1/4th" thick I got from a friend who had a 5 Barrel brewing system delivered). I was thinking to cut it to shape and just set it under the trunk carpet.

But then I got to thinking maybe I should use some better material. MLV sounds like it would be less of a sticky mess than butyl but it would still not be fun to remove once installed.

Do I really need to put down the butyl product first and then closed cell foam and then MLV? Would putting in MLV directly to the sheet metal be enough or is the issue it won't conform easily? I might end up not using the neoprene....