Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound deadening work begins next week: will report before and after data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad it worked for you CatB. Now that I've lived with it for a couple of years the greatest determinants of noise are the tires and road surface. On smooth roads I can listen to music at 80 mph and hear everything without cranking up the volume. On a road with a rough surface it's a very different story.

Same perception here. I expend my commuting time listening to audio-books, news or in conference calls. Since I got my car in November until after Tesla correct it, I was just unable to perform those tasks wile commuting in my Tesla.
Now it is almost as good as the S65. Minus the 10MPG :)

Almost. I agree but energy is energy, ICE or EV.
I suggest one to measure what you are calling too noise so to have a better baseline.
If both cars yields 80db of internal cabin noise at the same speed/pavement/frequencies, the ICE car will have much better insulation/noise management than the EV, as it is wasting a lot of energy producing noise with that thing causing explosions in the engine bay.

My P85+ was just horrible. Over 80dBs @75mph.
We (By we I mean Tesla) resolved it by updating all sound deadening materials and replaced the Michelins with ContiSilents. They also replaced some glass panels in the front doors, rubber seals all around, and many other parts that I did not ID yet. I got a 6 page invoice of parts!

After all the replacements, when you measure now, what results do you obtain?

Thanks,
Alan

Almost. I agree but energy is energy, ICE or EV.
I suggest one to measure what you are calling too noise so to have a better baseline.
If both cars yields 80db of internal cabin noise at the same speed/pavement/frequencies, the ICE car will have much better insulation/noise management than the EV, as it is wasting a lot of energy producing noise with that thing causing explosions in the engine bay.

My P85+ was just horrible. Over 80dBs @75mph.
We (By we I mean Tesla) resolved it by updating all sound deadening materials and replaced the Michelins with ContiSilents. They also replaced some glass panels in the front doors, rubber seals all around, and many other parts that I did not ID yet. I got a 6 page invoice of parts!

Did they charge you for the work?

Hi Artsci and all that had some insulation done on their cars. I have a 13 P85+ with staggered setup and the road noise is one of my biggest gripes on my car. I have done some insulation myself in the frunk and trunk area however still notice a lot of road noise especially coming from the seat belt openings in the back seats, at the top. Does anyone have an idea how to insulate around the seat belts without causing problems with their operation?

I am going to DIY my sound deadening starting with my hatch back on my 2019 Model S, then move forward. Has any one removed the interior trim piece behind the License plate and surround? If so any hesitations or considerations? It seems to me to be among the "tinniest" sounds on the car.

There are a lot of clips and you will almost surely break some of them (I broke a few on my car) but it is indeed a place where you can apply a lot of damping material. Be careful not to rip the wire out of the hatch warning speaker. I was going to disconnect the annoying speaker anyway, but not by yanking the wire out of the connector...

On Monday I'm dropping my Model S off at Don Sambrook's shop in Manchester, Maryland for him to begin work on sound deadening the car. Don is one of the top experts in the field and I'm very fortunate that his shop is only 20 miles or so from my home and that he could even take me as a client (he works himself on only 2 or 3 cars a year). Don's website is a source of incredible depth on sound deadening techniques and materials but this will be the first Model S he's evaluated and done. He teams up with Bert Miller on all of the installation work. Bert's expertise is doing all the the tear downs of the interior that are necessary to do the job the right way.

Between now and then I'll be taking and saving a series of sound measures to record the sound levels on my drive to and from work every day. The route has a great mixture of road types with different surfaces — two lane country road with some speed bumps, busier two lane road, four lane, Interstate, city streets, and parking garage. So I’ll have some very good before and after measurements for comparison of results.

When the work is finished at the end of next week I'll take new measurements along the same course and post the comparative results.

Yes, I know the car is pretty quiet as it is, but this was inspired by my friend, SUPRKAR, who sound deadened his entire Model S over a period of 3 months. He told me the results were astounding -- it was like having a different car. He did all of the work himself. Although I intended to do this myself as well, when I looked carefully at what would be required I concluded that didn't have have the time or adequate work space to do it all. So I was fortunate to find Don, whose rates for both labor and parts are very reasonable.

I'll report back when I deliver the car to Don next Monday.

I had a high end stereo done on mine and the installer did lots of sound absorbing to minimize vibrations. Prob not as much as your guy will do but it made CLEAR difference in tire noise post install and a WAY more solid sound from the equipment. cant wait to hear your report