Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound generator for our Model S ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be all for a pedestrian honk, but as for a sound linked to acceleration/speed add me to the -1 column. One of the first things I did with my 2011 Leaf was invert the noise maker button (which got removed in later years) to default to OFF.

If anyone makes any progress with this, please let me know. I hope someday, ringtones for electric vehicles becomes a thing (VehicleTones?), but I'm guessing this is going to get regulated, as you can't just use a random audio clip.

The proposed rule expressly says that all cars from the same year and model/trim must use the same sound - no customizations permitted. Immediately when this was proposed, it was quickly seen that this could turn into crazy noise pollution if the ringtone companies jumped on the auto-tone bandwagon.

The proposed rule expressly says that all cars from the same year and model/trim must use the same sound - no customizations permitted. Immediately when this was proposed, it was quickly seen that this could turn into crazy noise pollution if the ringtone companies jumped on the auto-tone bandwagon.

I agree, it's ripe for abuse, and being able to upload your own mp3 isn't the solution. But I would have been ok with a few manufacturer-approved sound files. Nissan allows you to change the boot-up sound (only a select few choices tho), but it sounds like this definitely won't happen now.

+1 for the pedestrian horn. I need this frequently in parking lots when I come up behind walkers who don't hear me. (Just like zombies, they casually stroll right down the middle of the driving lane.)

I can't rev my engine, but it occurs to me that if I waggle the steering wheel back and forth a couple times, it will make more tire noise and maybe get their attention without startling them. Anyone tried this?

Opening the sunroof requires too many precise button presses while I'm trying to dodge cars and people. The steering wheel thing would be quick and easy if it actually works.

This is a pet peeve as mine. "We need noise makers for cars, because people can't hear the car engines."

I go for walks every day for exercise. Anyone stating that ICE cars make noise which warn pedestrians is out of touch. When I go for walks the first thing I hear is the tire/wind noise from the cars, not the engine. Car engines are so quiet these days even when they are almost upon you you don't hear them. The only time you hear cars these days are when some one is driving a "souped up" car which a loud muffler. Those serve as a social warning imho. "Warning! This person driving this deliberately loud vehicle is an ahole! Adjust your dealings with such person accordingly!"

1. Open pano
2. Metal. Volume up :)

If I love the Model S is because it does almost noise.

No noisemakers!

+1 for the pedestrian horn. I need this frequently in parking lots when I come up behind walkers who don't hear me. (Just like zombies, they casually stroll right down the middle of the driving lane.)

I can't rev my engine, but it occurs to me that if I waggle the steering wheel back and forth a couple times, it will make more tire noise and maybe get their attention without startling them. Anyone tried this?

Opening the sunroof requires too many precise button presses while I'm trying to dodge cars and people. The steering wheel thing would be quick and easy if it actually works.
High beaming could also work. It makes a sound if you listen to it.

I get everyones' resistance to adding noisemakers to any car (EV or not), but basically, you're not going to fix stupid. People have, do, and always will be oblivious to their surroundings, and guess what?? If someone walks in front of your car because they couldn't hear you coming -- you're in for a world of hurt with legal and civil liabilities, unless you have a dashcam and can prove they did it intentionally. So instead of rallying around the "this is a stupid law, people should be smarter" battle cry, I'd rather have a subtle noisemaker to clear all the stupid people out of the way so they don't (by their own fault) get hit by my car. Because the alternative of standing your high-ground and potentially hitting or killing a stupid person is going to be a lot more of a hassle than putting up with a little noisemaker.

</rant>

Keep the silence.
If a sound is mandated, I vote for two coconuts knocked together to sound like a horse (think Monty python and the holy grail)

You could have it transition from a nervous horse while standing still to a walk, trot then gallop and full run before it shuts off over it's mantated maximum speed..... :tongue:

Flatulence to the rear???? :scared:

I get everyones' resistance to adding noisemakers to any car (EV or not), but basically, you're not going to fix stupid. People have, do, and always will be oblivious to their surroundings, and guess what?? If someone walks in front of your car because they couldn't hear you coming -- you're in for a world of hurt with legal and civil liabilities, unless you have a dashcam and can prove they did it intentionally. So instead of rallying around the "this is a stupid law, people should be smarter" battle cry, I'd rather have a subtle noisemaker to clear all the stupid people out of the way so they don't (by their own fault) get hit by my car. Because the alternative of standing your high-ground and potentially hitting or killing a stupid person is going to be a lot more of a hassle than putting up with a little noisemaker.

</rant>

You're assuming there is actual evidence they make a difference or if you have one you'll be in any way protected.

If Tesla is going to have a pedestrian sound effect at low speeds then I want something based on this 1950's Cadillac V8 as one of the noisemaker sound options. Make it an extra charge for the steam puffs out of the rear bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is not that EV's are silent, because they're not as has been pointed out above. The problem is that conventional ICE cars are actually quite noisy. Noise pollution is becoming recognised as a major issue in large cities causing stress and other problems in residents so maybe we should lobby for all vehicles to meet more stringent noise emissions under all conditions e.g.: banning the exhaust bypass systems fitted to a number of high performance vehicles. If all vehicles were as quiet as an EV then they would be heard easily!

Having said that I rather liked the Fisker's low speed pedestrian warning sound, it seemed a bit like a Cylon warrior on weed to me.

I've driven a Volt since 2011 and just recently switched to an 85D. The Volt had this handy pedestrian horn which the Model S is missing. Wouldn't it be cool to just add some sort of small speaker in the frunk which makes a futuristic engine sound based on the speed of the car ? I just watched an episode of Extant which uses a lot of Model S cars and I could swear that they also added "cool" sounding electric noises to those cars as well.

Does anybody else like this ? I am no engineer but I know that there already are a a lot of mobile apps that measure acceleration and speed. From there is should be small thing to add a bluetooth speaker that makes sounds according to acceleration and speed ? If this was available I would get it right away. Not only would the car sound great, it would make my daily commute much safer since most pedestrians can't hear the Model S at all.
ba87400863c5063c5f305c170a6b0062.jpg