Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound issues when doing sharp turns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ditto

Model S75D 2016 AP1
Oct 5, 2017
Quebec
I've been hearing scary noises lately when doing sharp turns with my Tesla. Basically, any time I take a roundabout at a quicker than normal speed and my steering wheel is completely turned to the left I hear my front left side ''knocking''. I have recently installed my winter tires on the Replika wheels so I assumed the issue was there, even though all owners have said that they've had no issues with these wheels, but the shop who installed them said the issue was with my car and not the wheels that were installed. They are on Michelin Xi3 tires and I had them last year with the original wheels with no issues. The sound gets worst when I back out of my driveway with the steering wheel completely turned in order to back up on the street. My driveway is a bit uphill, which seems to worsen the sound it makes, always coming from the front left when the steering wheel is completely turned.

Following the recommendations of the garage, I decided to bring the car in to Tesla. They get back to me and say every thing with the car is perfectly fine, and they are unable to reproduce the sound that I describe. While I don't doubt them, I find it hard to believe that they can't reproduce it considering how easy it is to hear it. I did a test with the car before bringing in, while in place, I turned the steering wheel from one side to the other a few times. It didn't make the same noise as if I was driving it with the steering wheel completely turned, but the sound didn't seem normal. In this video you can hear it:

As I've mentioned this is not the sound it makes when I'm driving it, this is something else (that may be normal?). Has anyone experienced something similar when making sharp turns or reversing their car with the steering wheel completely turned on one side? I'll be going to get my car this week and I'll be able to show Tesla the sound it makes. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it. A logical explanation would be an issue with the tire touching the car when completely turned and therefore making the ''Knocking'' sound, but then again the mechanic where I had them installed said it couldn't be that.

...noises...

Mine would make that clicking noise when it's stationary since day 1.

It would put the car on brake and "Hold".

Once I press the accelerator to go, the noise would disappear.

If I oversteer such as when doing a U-turn, there would be a different noise. I just ease up and not turning to the extreme and the noise would cease.

I don't know about Model S, but in the old ICE days we were told not to hold the steering wheel fully turned against the stop, because it put too much pressure on the seals in the rack. In fact, I've had cars that would "fight" against full locked turns by pulsing the power effort. I've never felt that on our S's, so maybe that is a red herring for Tesla.

I'm pretty sure there are no seals, I don't think there are any hydraulics involved.

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel?
Does it do it with the wheel turned both full left and full right?

I like the possibility of the brake hold causing a creak, but it sounds to regular in frequency.

I see you posted AP1, so it may be different than my pre-AP; which has a ribbed belt in the rack driven by the power assist motor. In mine, 2 of the 3 mounting bolts broke. If the motor isn't held in place perfectly secure, the belt will slip. Mine made horrible noises. Maybe yours is a similar issue but not as bad.
A Tesla technician told me it's common. My thread here. Power Steering falling apart

I'm glad it's nothing like what I had.

The clearances around the wheel and tire are very close. Which reminds me: when I had tires installed and balanced earlier this year, the weights they used were thicker than the old ones. One of them was striking the control arm. It did scare me until I figured out what it was.

Old thread - my '13 P85 is doing this. When the wheel is turned all the way to the right (e.g., when pulling into a tight parking space) I'll sometimes get a scary knock. It's on my list to discuss in my upcoming service visit - what's described here (failure to recreate) is my biggest worry.

Old thread - my '13 P85 is doing this. When the wheel is turned all the way to the right (e.g., when pulling into a tight parking space) I'll sometimes get a scary knock. It's on my list to discuss in my upcoming service visit - what's described here (failure to recreate) is my biggest worry.

I had a similar problem with my P85 2014 and it was a loose control arm which they replaced. Around 2000$ in CDN dollars to fix. But it could also be something completely different... my case was quite probably the worst scenario

Edit : that was for both front lower control arms