Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Of Door Closing Changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching around to see if I could find this discussed and didn't see anything; apologies if this is at all a duplicate.

I've had my Model 3 Dual Motor for a little over 6 months now. Yesterday we took a trip to the supermarket and when I got out and closed the (driver-side) door, it sounded especially loud - like I'd slammed it. More of a something-solid-upon-solid sound, I was worried I was going to break the glass or something....
When we got home and got out, it sounded that way again. I tried closing it a few more times more softly to make sure I wasn't doing it too hard, but it still did it.

I don't see anything visually wrong with the rubber seals, the window is going down/up on open/close as it should... aside from adding one of those wind noise kits I haven't done anything to the doors. The passenger side sounded OK.

Any ideas what I'm missing? Things to check? I'm worried there's gonna be damage.

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
Interesting to hear what the cause of this might be. Often the door will close easier/louder if another door or window is open at the time. Even having the trunk open can cause less back pressure and the door may close louder.
Keep us posted on what you find out.

Those are some interesting points. My husband was with me for both of these and I think he may have had the passenger door open in the garage, though I am not sure if he'd opened it yet when we were at the supermarket. (He DID comment how loud that one was, since he was still in the car). I've been meaning to go try it again and take a closer look at things. Previously I was in a little bit of a hurry since I had frozen groceries (c:

I tried searching around to see if I could find this discussed and didn't see anything; apologies if this is at all a duplicate.

I've had my Model 3 Dual Motor for a little over 6 months now. Yesterday we took a trip to the supermarket and when I got out and closed the (driver-side) door, it sounded especially loud - like I'd slammed it. More of a something-solid-upon-solid sound, I was worried I was going to break the glass or something....
When we got home and got out, it sounded that way again. I tried closing it a few more times more softly to make sure I wasn't doing it too hard, but it still did it.

I don't see anything visually wrong with the rubber seals, the window is going down/up on open/close as it should... aside from adding one of those wind noise kits I haven't done anything to the doors. The passenger side sounded OK.

Any ideas what I'm missing? Things to check? I'm worried there's gonna be damage.

On warmer days, my drivers door window is clipping the b pillar glass. I had an appointment to have it looked at, but it stopped doing it for a few days, so I cancelled. It has returned and I have realized it seems to only occur in temps above 85. So I will be setting up a service call.

Attachments

• VID_20200527_162725_exported_3824_1590674765770.jpg
    VID_20200527_162725_exported_3824_1590674765770.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 255
  • Informative
Reactions: TydalForce
Model Y left rear door closes loudly after 2 weeks of driving. I read some comments, which mentioned how service person did. I tried to loosen door latch lock and opened and closed the door for a few times. Then, tightened the screw slowly and equally on both side. The door closes normally now.
You need special screw driver.