TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sound of regenerative braking.

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by GIdoc, Apr 10, 2014.

1. GIdoc

GIdoc Member

So, I hear a sound when regen is set to standard and sound is only heard when car is about to come to stop, usually below the speed of 10 mph. If I start regen at 50 mph, I do not hear the sound until car has slowed down below 10 mph and about to come to a full stop. I don't know how to best describe it but almost sounds to me like motor/inverter is unwinding?:confused: I felt that it was significantly less noticeable when regen was set to low. Anyone else experience this. I have not noticed this on acceleration.

2. Raven5000

Raven5000 Member

Yeah always been that way for me. Kinda like the sound myself.

3. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Yes, as opposed to complete and utter silence there's a slight changing-pitch humming sound, just noticeable, near the end of the deceleration.

4. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

I believe this is normal- mine does this and so did a loaner I got earlier this week

5. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Sounds to me like when a jet engine shuts down, I love the sound personally.

6. GIdoc

GIdoc Member

The sound has not bothered be personally and I have only noticed it on some really early morning drives to work when it is really really quiet (no traffic) and I am not in mood to listen to radio. Just wanted to make sure that I do not have to worry about motor/inverter.